Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 02:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,571,094 times

Advertisements

From CoreLogic, top 5 markets were as follows September 2021 v year ago:

Miami + 25.7%
Phoenix 19.8
Las Vegas 15.9
Austin 14.9
San Diego 14.7

Next 5 metros were Dallas/Plano, Tucson, Atlanta, Orlando and Charlotte.

https://www.corelogic.com/wp-content...size=1024,1003

Full article below.

https://www.corelogic.com/press-rele...logic-reports/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 01:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 932,600 times
Yeah, the sunbelt isn't cheap anymore. I remember you could easily find $1200 rentals in Atlanta, now it's hard to find something under $2000.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:08 PM

10.2% was the national average increase, up from 2.6% the prior year…..federal stimulus monies, rent moratorium and WFH were all contributing factors to greater rent increases overall; add more space for the above average increases for the sunbelt cities in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Yeah, the sunbelt isn't cheap anymore. I remember you could easily find $1200 rentals in Atlanta, now it's hard to find something under $2000.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-18-2021 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 05:23 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,992,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
10.2% was the national average increase, up from 2.6% the prior year…..federal stimulus monies, rent moratorium and WFH were all contributing factors to greater rent increases overall; add more space for the above average increases for the sunbelt cities in particular.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure what they're reporting. They say that it's "single family rents" which I take to mean single family homes. They say that's nearly half of all housing which seems like a dubious claim for most urban areas. Then they appear to be averaging arbitrary "tiers" and not all rents at once.

It's hard to believe that the average Miami resident (or anywhere) could adsorb a 20% increase in rent year over year, so I don't know what they're getting at.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:29 PM

I have heard many Miami residents who have gotten 25-30% increases….a lot of people from more expensive coastal states relocated here, bringing their higher (than Miami) paying jobs with them and raising the prices for everyone. Very little supply here at the moment as well. No rent controls here either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure what they're reporting. They say that it's "single family rents" which I take to mean single family homes. They say that's nearly half of all housing which seems like a dubious claim for most urban areas. Then they appear to be averaging arbitrary "tiers" and not all rents at once.

It's hard to believe that the average Miami resident (or anywhere) could adsorb a 20% increase in rent year over year, so I don't know what they're getting at.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:54 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Prices growth should also consider apartment construction

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental...truction-2021/

Sunbelt markets are building a lot too. DFW has been first or second in new multifamily development the last three years.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I have heard many Miami residents who have gotten 25-30% increases….a lot of people from more expensive coastal states relocated here, bringing their higher (than Miami) paying jobs with them and raising the prices for everyone. Very little supply here at the moment as well. No rent controls here either.
Yeah, but this says that the median is 20%, so half the homes would have to go up more than that and half would be less. Many single family homes are rented by people that used to live there or bought the home as rental income and they don't always even raise rents every year. Some homes may have leases longer than a year. And yeah, people are moving there, but we're talking over the course of a year, not a decade. Certainly people didn't replace Miami residents en masse.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Prices growth should also consider apartment construction

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental...truction-2021/

Sunbelt markets are building a lot too. DFW has been first or second in new multifamily development the last three years.
Why would someone compiling rental increases for single family homes be concerned with apartments?

Old 11-18-2021, 06:01 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Quote:
southeast FL is problematic because like California its land restricted nd so much new development has to be vertical which is more costly to build.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:09 AM

I’m not saying people who moved here within the past year replaced all existing residents; rather newly arrived transplants ate up supply which drove up prices. Those who lived in the same property for years—loyal ones at that—did very well if they “only” got a 20% increase (yes, some got lower increases). Didn’t like it?—owner would tell them to move out and find someone else to rent to. In some instances people paid above asking price and/or 6 - 12 months up front to secure the property v someone else. If a property across the street raised prices 20-25% or more, other landlords took note (including landlords living abroad).

Not saying this is sustainable (highly doubt it) or a good thing, just commenting on what took place this past year. There’s a reason why Miami moved up and is now the #2 most expensive housing market in the country. Not ruling out a future bubble burst either. I tend to find a survey, such as this one, done by CoreLogic to be more reputable than one done by WalletHub.

The other conclusion I take from this is that with prices rising at such levels Miami attracted more than its share of out of town, WFH professionals with higher incomes. It wasn’t the local restaurant worker driving these increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Yeah, but this says that the median is 20%, so half the homes would have to go up more than that and half would be less. Many single family homes are rented by people that used to live there or bought the home as rental income and they don't always even raise rents every year. Some homes may have leases longer than a year. And yeah, people are moving there, but we're talking over the course of a year, not a decade. Certainly people didn't replace Miami residents en masse.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-19-2021 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.