Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
As a child we visited Canada often, living in Mass. My first hint we were in a different country were the signs in French and English.
Isn't that neat? I'm part French so I guess that's one reason I love Quebec. It's also one reason I enjoy New England because I can usually pick up some French-speaking stations on my car radio.

I think the Maritime Provinces of Canada also have a more European feel to them than the rest of Anglophone Canada.

Now that the Canadian dollar is more valuable than the American dollar I wonder if border towns in the US are seeing an increase in Canadians hopping across the border to do their shopping. I know Plattsburgh NY has always seen a lot of Montrealers in their shopping centers because of the lower sales taxes, and I bet that's increased lately.

I have also noticed that just about everyone in Canada knows US geography much better than Americans know Canadian geography. For example, Canadian newspapers (and I agree with Katiana, there's a definite anti-American slant in most Canadian newspapers) would put "Knoxville, Tennessee" in a newspaper article about something that happened in Knoxville. But newspapers in the US almost always have to add "Canada" after the province name, i.e. "Such-and-such happened today in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:24 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,936,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Isn't that neat? I'm part French so I guess that's one reason I love Quebec. It's also one reason I enjoy New England because I can usually pick up some French-speaking stations on my car radio.

I think the Maritime Provinces of Canada also have a more European feel to them than the rest of Anglophone Canada.

Now that the Canadian dollar is more valuable than the American dollar I wonder if border towns in the US are seeing an increase in Canadians hopping across the border to do their shopping. I know Plattsburgh NY has always seen a lot of Montrealers in their shopping centers because of the lower sales taxes, and I bet that's increased lately.

I have also noticed that just about everyone in Canada knows US geography much better than Americans know Canadian geography. For example, Canadian newspapers (and I agree with Katiana, there's a definite anti-American slant in most Canadian newspapers) would put "Knoxville, Tennessee" in a newspaper article about something that happened in Knoxville. But newspapers in the US almost always have to add "Canada" after the province name, i.e. "Such-and-such happened today in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada..."
I always notice that redundancy also , its degrading. What is it with so many US citizens , that they ether hate , or try to pretend our neighbor to the North doesn't exist?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
46 states and 4 commonwealths is actually what we have.

I guess we could consider Canada a 51st state, since they are essentially us except with colder, arctic air for longer spells and expanded gay rights.
Folks, this attitude right here goes a long ways in explaining why many of you have noticed a certain anti-American slant in many Canadian newspapers.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM

41 posts, read 136,017 times
I will never forget our first test in U.S. history in 10th grade. It was a first day pop quiz. The teacher handed out a U.S. map with state outlines and he said label everything you can. He wanted to know where everyone stood I think. Now only 3 people out of 30 were able to label every state which didn't suprise me. What did get me was the teacher asked "hey everyone, where do WE live?" which everyone answers New York. He said " thats funny because 4 of you can't label your OWN state on the map. Are you sure you live here?" I laughed so hard that day. But I also realized that everyone can't be smart, and the world must need dummies too, lol.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I always notice that redundancy also , its degrading. What is it with so many US citizens , that they ether hate , or try to pretend our neighbor to the North doesn't exist?
It really is irritating. I'm no fan of Canadian politics or tax structure, but for crying out loud Canada is our closest friend and our number one trading partner. It's shameful that more Americans don't know more about Canada.

But then again, as qazzaq9 and others have pointed out, Americans tend to be pretty ignorant when it comes to our own country, so I guess it's to be expected that we don't know much about Canada, either.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
It really is irritating. I'm no fan of Canadian politics or tax structure, but for crying out loud Canada is our closest friend and our number one trading partner. It's shameful that more Americans don't know more about Canada.

But then again, as qazzaq9 and others have pointed out, Americans tend to be pretty ignorant when it comes to our own country, so I guess it's to be expected that we don't know much about Canada, either.
Actually , Canada has differing points of views on politics , within the Country. Maybe even more so than the US , when you throw Quebec into the mix.Not everyone there is liberal ether. Alberta is the most conservative., as a province, it seems to me. Maybe our Canadian folks can add to these thoughts.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
Quote:

Yea, the money was another thing that pointed out we were in a different country.
I know when we went on the longest trip, they pulled me out of school. I was to keep a journal of my trip and part of it was a French/English dictionary that I made up from the signs along the way.
I guess people having so little idea of geography is strange to me because I traveled so much with my parents and I was the navigator from a very young age. I would coordinate the map and the camp ground book, I always made sure we got to a campground with a pool of course. In fact my nickname was "The Navigator".

Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Actually , Canada has differing points of views on politics , within the Country. Maybe even more so than the US , when you throw Quebec into the mix.Not everyone there is liberal ether. Alberta is the most conservative., as a province, it seems to me. Maybe our Canadian folks can add to these thoughts.
See I always thought that the US could be the Eleventh Province. We could call it 'Murcah, since all you have is guns, crime, hot weather and no separation of church and state.

Actually, we're just massing the entire population within 200 miles of the border for the planned invasion.

Canada is as diverse geographically and politically as the US, you can't label all Americans as one thing, the same applies to Canada.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
We are seeing a lot more Canadians shopping here in the Twin Cities due to the dollar, and we are a 4 hour drive from the border. (Also, probably because of no tax on clothing)

Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
See I always thought that the US could be the Eleventh Province. We could call it 'Murcah, since all you have is guns, crime, hot weather and no separation of church and state.

Actually, we're just massing the entire population within 200 miles of the border for the planned invasion.

Canada is as diverse geographically and politically as the US, you can't label all Americans as one thing, the same applies to Canada.
When you come , give me a tip off , I will get out the Maple Leaf , and run it up the pole.. As well , I will dust off all my loonies and tunies that have been laying around ( the local banks and stores want no part of that they call " funny money"....... now , is not that a slap in the face....... I never had a store turn down my greenbacks up north ? ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.