Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most beautiful metropolitan area in the U.S.?
New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA MSA 3 1.89%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA MSA 12 7.55%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI MSA 4 2.52%
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA 0 0%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX MSA 2 1.26%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA 2 1.26%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA 1 0.63%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL MSA 10 6.29%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA MSA 6 3.77%
Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH MSA 5 3.14%
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ MSA 2 1.26%
San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA MSA 20 12.58%
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA MSA 0 0%
Detroit–Warren–Dearborn, MI MSA 2 1.26%
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA MSA 39 24.53%
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI MSA 1 0.63%
San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad, CA MSA 6 3.77%
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA 2 1.26%
Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO MSA 1 0.63%
Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD MSA 0 0%
St. Louis, MO-IL MSA 0 0%
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL MSA 0 0%
Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC MSA 1 0.63%
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX MSA 0 0%
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA MSA 6 3.77%
Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom, CA MSA 0 0%
Pittsburgh, PA MSA 2 1.26%
Austin-Round Rock, TX MSA 0 0%
Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV MSA 2 1.26%
Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN MSA 1 0.63%
Kansas City, MO-KS MSA 0 0%
Columbus, OH MSA 0 0%
Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN MSA 0 0%
Cleveland-Elyria, OH MSA 2 1.26%
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA 1 0.63%
Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN MSA 2 1.26%
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC MSA 0 0%
Providence-Warwick, RI-MA MSA 0 0%
Jacksonville, FL MSA 0 0%
Milwaukee-Waukesha, WI MSA 0 0%
Oklahoma City, OK MSA 0 0%
Raleigh-Cary, NC MSA 0 0%
Memphis, TN-MS-AR MSA 0 0%
Richmond, VA MSA 2 1.26%
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN MSA 1 0.63%
New Orleans-Metairie, LA MSA 1 0.63%
Salt Lake City, UT MSA 3 1.89%
Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown, CT MSA 0 0%
Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY MSA 0 0%
Birmingham-Hoover, AL MSA 1 0.63%
Rochester, NY MSA 0 0%
Grand Rapids-Kentwood, MI MSA 1 0.63%
Tucson, AZ MSA 0 0%
Urban Honolulu, HI MSA 9 5.66%
Tulsa, OK MSA 1 0.63%
Tulsa, OK MSA 0 0%
Fresno, CA MSA 1 0.63%
Other 4 2.52%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2021, 12:48 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,080,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I vote Los Angeles Metro area. Beautiful, foggy, mountains, deserts, green hills, flats, marshlands, prairies, cliffs, islands, bridges, whales, bears, lakes, peacocks, green grass, palms, 4 seasons as you go up in elevation.
South Orange County which is part of the LA metro area is really beautiful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 02:07 AM

158 posts, read 168,610 times
Metro? Would have to be out west IMO

I voted San Diego but I could also go San Francisco, Los Angeles, El Paso, Albuquerque, Denver, Portland, Seattle, and a few others out there

Old 12-05-2021, 08:22 AM

136 posts, read 134,159 times
That I’ve personally been to, LA, Honolulu and San Diego are all pretty close. If pictures are anything to go by, I’d have to throw Anchorage up there.

I’m moving outside Seattle soon, so hopefully its reputation here is warranted.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:44 AM

2,349 posts, read 2,304,694 times
Seattle is in first place right now! I’ve been to the top of the Columbia Tower on a clear day and between the cityscape, the Puget Sound, Bellevue’s skyline, Mt. Rainier, the Cascades, and the Olympic range the view was pretty spectacular. Not the most beautiful place I’ve been, but I’d say it was in the top 15.

For the purposes of this thread, I’d probably put Seattle as #5 behind Honolulu, SF, LA, and SD. It would have LA and SD beat on a clear day, but it just doesn’t have enough of those. Plus with LA it’s got the San Gabriel’s, Hollywood Hills, Malibu, etc so it legitimately holds its own. Seattle is a great city, but not the most beautiful US city in my opinion.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:16 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Seattle is in first place right now! I’ve been to the top of the Columbia Tower on a clear day and between the cityscape, the Puget Sound, Bellevue’s skyline, Mt. Rainier, the Cascades, and the Olympic range the view was pretty spectacular. Not the most beautiful place I’ve been, but I’d say it was in the top 15.

For the purposes of this thread, I’d probably put Seattle as #5 behind Honolulu, SF, LA, and SD. It would have LA and SD beat on a clear day, but it just doesn’t have enough of those. Plus with LA it’s got the San Gabriel’s, Hollywood Hills, Malibu, etc so it legitimately holds its own. Seattle is a great city, but not the most beautiful US city in my opinion.
I think most people are going by metro areas not just the downtown. I've been in Columbia Observation Deck also many times but you cant see the whole metro area lol.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:54 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,959,672 times
Just because the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest either got shut out or a single vote doesn't mean that some of those aren't beautiful. I honestly believe that Pittsburgh is the most beautiful metro in that section of the country thanks to its dramatic rivers, hills, and historic architecture, not unlike the top two vote getters in appearance in this poll. The pollution from the heavy industrial age is a distant memory, and although there's a number of vacant land in spots, a lot of greenfield development is looking to hide that, and its easy to drive away from them if you just go around a bend or up a hill. Boston is up there two with the bay, ocean, Charles River, great built environment, parks, and more. Just don't let the weather fool your choices.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:58 AM

133 posts, read 96,084 times
Alphabetically

Charleston
Honolulu
Miami
San Diego
Seattle

Old 12-05-2021, 01:45 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,271,269 times
Honolulu is the main metro of the Hawaiian archipelago, but its leeward location relative to mountains places it in a rainshadow. As a result, Honolulu doesn't have quite the full lush tropical character seen in windward locales like Hana or Hilo, where unopposed trade winds unleash ample rains. Speaking of Hana, that place gets props as its beaches have quite the interesting color palette.

In the Lower 48, the coastal South has the best combination of warmth and wetness overall for climate. From Houston/Gulf Texas eastward to the Atlantic, then up to southern North Carolina — the apex is Florida, the warmest climate in the lower 48, a strong subtropical in Orlando, Tampa, and other central Florida locales transitioning to full tropical in Miami, Naples and other areas of South Florida.

The immediate West Coast from mid California to southern Oregon is a (relative) sweet spot — includes areas from SF Bay Area up to Brookings in Oregon. It is reasonably mild during winter with ample rainfall, but retains enough moisture during summer to allow more lush vegetation. Further south, the immediate coastal areas of SoCal, within LA and SD metros, have mild winters for cultivation, though the more pronounced summer dryness starts becoming a bigger factor.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:23 PM

3,548 posts, read 2,339,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Just because the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest either got shut out or a single vote doesn't mean that some of those aren't beautiful. I honestly believe that Pittsburgh is the most beautiful metro in that section of the country thanks to its dramatic rivers, hills, and historic architecture, not unlike the top two vote getters in appearance in this poll. The pollution from the heavy industrial age is a distant memory, and although there's a number of vacant land in spots, a lot of greenfield development is looking to hide that, and its easy to drive away from them if you just go around a bend or up a hill. Boston is up there two with the bay, ocean, Charles River, great built environment, parks, and more. Just don't let the weather fool your choices.
What the Midwest and Northwest “lack” in geographic scope they make up with beautiful foliage and distinctive 4 seasons.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,896,703 times
The big Seattle lead here needs a disclaimer. Seattle has months of cloudy weather. But on a clear day it is number one by all standards. Oh and btw I am a Seattle native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.