Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 04:04 PM

133 posts, read 97,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
It seems like a trip to Phoenix is not complete without hitting up the other suburbs like Scottsdale, Gilbert, Mesa and Tempe. Is there any other city like that?

Granted Dallas also has powerful suburbs as part of the metroplex but you don't really need to wander outside city limits for entertainment needs. That is not to say FTW is not worth it no pun intended.

The only similarities I can find to this is maybe Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. Still ironic considering that even if the 3 cities merged together, their total land area would still be smaller than Phoenix.

Is there any other examples like that across the US?

You might want to check out this City-Data thread below.

Favorite metros if you removed the main city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:43 PM

828 posts, read 657,574 times
Quote:
It seems like a trip to Phoenix is not complete without hitting up the other suburbs like Scottsdale, Gilbert, Mesa and Tempe. Is there any other city like that?

Granted Dallas also has powerful suburbs as part of the metroplex but you don't really need to wander outside city limits for entertainment needs. That is not to say FTW is not worth it no pun intended.

The only similarities I can find to this is maybe Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. Still ironic considering that even if the 3 cities merged together, their total land area would still be smaller than Phoenix.

Is there any other examples like that across the US?
Lots of cities are like that, esp. in the West (Seattle is maybe the one big exception). Dallas is similar, Atlanta is somewhat similar, Minneapolis is similar (lots of stuff in suburbs and not in city limits)

Old 12-12-2021, 07:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,244,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
A trip to Miami not complete without a trip to South Beach.
And South Beach isn't even a city. It's just the southern part of Miami Beach.

As for the OP's question: Nearly all cities are like that. Very few are just the central city, though some of these giant land area cities like Jacksonville within a mid-sized metro are about as close as one gets.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:25 AM

17,564 posts, read 15,698,539 times
Quote:
Really?? when I search on Google Universal Studios Florida and Walt Disney World Resort it shows up as address of Orlando. I dunno who's rope your trying to yank
Universal is in Orlando.

Nothing else is: International Drive is in unincorporated Orange County, Disney World and the resorts are spread between Lake Buena Vista and Kissimmee, etc…

Also, the same can be said about Miami: most tourists go to Miami Beach, which is not the same as the city of Miami.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:47 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,765,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
The only cities in the Phoenix metro worth visiting are Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe, if someone is recommending the other places to a tourist they don’t know what they are talking about. Now if you pass through those places to get to the surrounding mountains that makes some sense.
Glendale?

Serious question as I am not from the area.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:15 PM

1,324 posts, read 884,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Glendale?

Serious question as I am not from the area.
Nah, the only reason to go to Glendale is to go to a Coyotes game, but I'm pretty sure they are relocating to Tempe anyway.

That poster is correct that Tempe and Scottsdale are the only major Phoenix suburbs worth visiting. I'd also add Cave Creek, a cool little town on the outskirts.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:26 PM

17,909 posts, read 13,842,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
The only cities in the Phoenix metro worth visiting are Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe, if someone is recommending the other places to a tourist they don’t know what they are talking about. Now if you pass through those places to get to the surrounding mountains that makes some sense.
I really don't get this thread.

Scottsdale has always been the "western, touristy" place for Phoenix even when Phoenix wasn't very big. Tempe' has the University. I don't know what else it has. Mesa just has the Temple. Glendale has the stadium.

Arlington, Tx has been one of the big "go too" parts of Dallas ever since Six Flags opened. Ft. Worth has all the stuff the Scottsdale has for Phoenix. Frisco now has a bunch of stuff, Valley Ranch has the Cowboys, and Grapevine has a bunch of tourist stuff as well. Throw in the Dallas TV show ranch which is out of town...
There is a bunch of stuff not in Dallas.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:54 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,341,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I really don't get this thread.

Scottsdale has always been the "western, touristy" place for Phoenix even when Phoenix wasn't very big. Tempe' has the University. I don't know what else it has. Mesa just has the Temple. Glendale has the stadium.

Arlington, Tx has been one of the big "go too" parts of Dallas ever since Six Flags opened. Ft. Worth has all the stuff the Scottsdale has for Phoenix. Frisco now has a bunch of stuff, Valley Ranch has the Cowboys, and Grapevine has a bunch of tourist stuff as well. Throw in the Dallas TV show ranch which is out of town...
There is a bunch of stuff not in Dallas.
There is a lot of stuff all around DFW, but you don't have to leave Dallas to have a high variety of entertainment. That isn't the same case with Phoenix.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:26 PM

1,180 posts, read 991,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Lots of cities are like that, esp. in the West (Seattle is maybe the one big exception). Dallas is similar, Atlanta is somewhat similar, Minneapolis is similar (lots of stuff in suburbs and not in city limits)
That's not true of Atlanta at all. The majority of the touristy things are in the city: museums, high end shopping, and and the actual tourist district is downtown where the big conventions are held. Stone mountain and Six flags are the only tourist draws I can think of that are outside the city.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:26 AM

20,533 posts, read 33,660,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Dallas is definitely not similar. Outside of going on a roller coaster, you don't need to leave Dallas to be entertained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.