Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 08:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

I still say southeast FL is the CA of the south. Even though it's still far fetched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 08:35 PM

154 posts, read 96,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycitybabi View Post
Hi new to forum nice to meet everybody I’m from the Midwest and my fiancé wants to move to the south. Her places of consideration are Tennessee, nc and Georgia which is a compromise for me because I always dreamed of moving to Cali. A few of my friends have told me North Carolina has a lot of what you know Cali for such as beaches, mountains, palm trees, tech towns, hippie towns, diversity, valleys. I’ve never heard this comparison prior to my friends at work mentioning it would you say it’s accurate ? How similar is it to a Cali alternative ? And out of the three options ( ga, nc, tn) which is closest?
Below are some beautiful self-sustaining places near Atlanta that you will absolutely love. Most people on here do not know what the Atlanta metro has to offer in full. They only see what’s on 75/85 and think they have seen it all. You will not be disappointed with the Atlanta metro. The plethora of houses and beautiful neighborhoods are plentiful. The area is full of California transplants too so you will feel right at home.

Start your searches here - https://serenbe.com/

And

Here - https://www.trilith.com//development

And

Here - https://www.experienceavalon.com/live/

Old 12-14-2021, 09:52 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
"The Cali of the south" lmao!
That's the corniest thing I've ever heard. Nice try, North Carolina.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:48 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I'd say it's more or less the Arizona of the south, where a lot of people move to from more expensive states, yet still being within a day's drive of a megaregion (FL or the NE corridor). It generally flies under the radar in the national/global media, unless if a major event occurs. NC is missing a lot of worldly things that CA and many of the other Tier 1 states have. IMO Asheville=Flagstaff, Charlotte + Triangle= Phoenix, and the Triad=Tuscon. Like AZ, most of NC's cities are postwar sprawl and very autocentric, even if both Phoenix and Charlotte have a limited transit network. NC does have a small film industry in Wilmington, but it pales even in comparison to Atlanta's. It doesn't have the MLB. Nothing like a Beverly Hills, La Jolla, or even Carmel for luxury shopping. Overall, NC a nice, pleasant place to live, but it lacks the high energy/thrills that are associated with CA. Lots of chains and it's probably the most "Middle America" of all the coastal states.
Well I’ve never expected to read this.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
There’s no California of the south. Not Florida, not North Carolina. Worlds apart. Other than the fact that Northeasterners have managed to infiltrate all three. :P

Old 12-15-2021, 09:30 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
"The Cali of the south" lmao!
That's the corniest thing I've ever heard. Nice try, North Carolina.
On behalf of NC...let me just say that trust me, NOBODY here is trying to claim that "title"

Old 12-15-2021, 09:34 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
On behalf of NC...let me just say that trust me, NOBODY here is trying to claim that "title"
Stay strong NC!

Old 12-15-2021, 09:51 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Stay strong NC!
To be clear:

My post was not a political statement/sentiment....at all.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:58 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
To be clear:

on a lighter note... my daughter is looking at NC research triangle (your area) for a bio tech job. She has a masters degree in Micro Biology and is relocating from San Jose CA. She's pretty much done with CA.

... but I digress

Old 12-15-2021, 10:08 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
To be clear:

It should be. You don't want what we have, ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.