Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 06:38 PM

14,106 posts, read 14,054,468 times

Advertisements

Miami and Charleston SC/Savannah GA the Cali of the South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 10:57 PM

4,180 posts, read 2,897,981 times
Charleston feels like the anti-California of the South.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
I have spent many years of my life in North Carolina, and lived there for several years. I have also visited and lived in California several times over the years. I love both states and frankly, I especially love North Carolina but it is nothing like California other than the fact that both states are part of the US and both have a coast line. Even the Pacific and Atlantic oceans are incredibly different.

Don't move to NC expecting CA. Move there to fall in love with NC or go to CA.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:23 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,383,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycitybabi View Post
Hi new to forum nice to meet everybody I’m from the Midwest and my fiancé wants to move to the south. Her places of consideration are Tennessee, nc and Georgia which is a compromise for me because I always dreamed of moving to Cali. A few of my friends have told me North Carolina has a lot of what you know Cali for such as beaches, mountains, palm trees, tech towns, hippie towns, diversity, valleys. I’ve never heard this comparison prior to my friends at work mentioning it would you say it’s accurate ? How similar is it to a Cali alternative ? And out of the three options ( ga, nc, tn) which is closest?
Your friend was mistaken. The diversity is much different. The wealth gap isn't as big. The redneck influence (not to be disparaging) is more prominent (e.g. home of NASCAR and country music supplants urban sounds in many markets). But NC has really nice scenery being part of Appalachia and have a good coast line. Surprisingly, NC does have hurricane risk regularly. Tech, for the south yes one can say its a standout but no where on on the scale of California or TX and with most of it centered around Raleigh.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:29 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,383,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Charleston feels like the anti-California of the South.
Its more like San Diego which people forget is also a Military town with Camp Pendleton and Navy Seals Training and an Aircraft Carrier Base. SD tends to be more red than blue as well given its military ties.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:09 PM

3,193 posts, read 2,245,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Its more like San Diego which people forget is also a Military town with Camp Pendleton and Navy Seals Training and an Aircraft Carrier Base. SD tends to be more red than blue as well given its military ties.
That is no longer accurate. San Diego County voted 60-37 for Biden in 2020, and 57-43 against the recall of Governor Newsom this year. The area has many other influences beyond the military, as is also true of Charleston.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:27 PM

I don’t think of Charleston as a military town to be honest. The naval base closure was nearly 30 years ago, and the joint base is relatively small compared to places like Fayetteville or indeed San Diego.

That said, I’ve never been to San Diego, so maybe it is a close comparison to Charleston. Still feels a stretch to link Charleston and California, but I don’t know.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:07 PM

9,815 posts, read 7,988,976 times
Quote:
I don’t think of Charleston as a military town to be honest. The naval base closure was nearly 30 years ago, and the joint base is relatively small compared to places like Fayetteville or indeed San Diego.

That said, I’ve never been to San Diego, so maybe it is a close comparison to Charleston. Still feels a stretch to link Charleston and California, but I don’t know.
No, your hunch was right. With the exception of having harbors and being coastal, they aren't similar at all.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:39 PM

14,980 posts, read 9,902,318 times
Quote:

Most of SC has some relationship with the USMC. Paris Island/Beaufort is vital to SC.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Most of SC has some relationship with the USMC. Paris Island/Beaufort is vital to SC.
But that’s close to 2 hours away from Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.