Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When selecting a place to live, which do you weigh as most important?
Proximity to Immediate Family 7 18.92%
Fit/Enjoyment With Place you Live (Climate, Nature, Urbanism, Lifestyle, etc.) 30 81.08%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 02:31 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,864,802 times

Advertisements

My parents and brother left me and went to Florida. I have some family in Baltimore, but the rest are here in Phoenix. I appreciate everything they’ve done for me to help me grow and in my emergencies when my immediate family was geographically absent. However despite this I do not like living in Phoenix, as it does not provide the things I want that can be easily found in other places. The thing is Phoenix could easily do that, but conservatives here want to continue doing 90s suburban sprawl and the status quo instead of increasing density and refusing to expand light rail even after we VOTED YES ON IT TWICE. (Don’t get me started on corrupt politicians here).

I’ve always felt at odds with living here even as a kid, I’m not sure why. I just don’t think Phoenix has ever been my place so to speak. When I went to Tucson for college it was somewhat better as I was living independently then. Now that I’m back in Phoenix and independent, it only solidifies that Phoenix cannot provide the things I want, due to sheer unwillingness to provide even some diversification in neighborhood types. University solidified the fact that I want a more walkable community. I’ve always hated summers here but I’d be willing to deal with it for an area that supports the life I want to live and still having my family close by.

However since Phoenix refuses to do this, I will be looking elsewhere and I’m hoping to move within a year or so. I’m looking at Atlanta mostly at this point, which is about 7 hours driving from my family in Florida. Or Washington DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 02:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,020,548 times
Much of my family is in the south and I refuse to live in the south. I am going back and forth with staying in St. Louis that checks most of the boxes or relocating to a larger more liberated metro that is thriving based on my criteria like Philly, Boston, DC, Seattle, San Diego, Minneapolis or Denver.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 12-24-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-24-2021, 03:22 PM

12,241 posts, read 8,163,928 times
Luckily, I live in a combination of them both. Southern New England.

But if I HAD to chose, I would do a good compromise. I would chose family, but, I like to prioritize happiness. (No shade at my family lol)

Old 12-24-2021, 04:29 PM

411 posts, read 348,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Much of my family is in the south and I refuse to live in the south. I am going back and forth with staying in St. Louis that checks most of the boxes or relocating to a larger more liberated metro that is thriving based on my criteria like Philly, Boston, DC, Seattle, San Diego, Minneapolis or Denver.

All of my family lives in the NJ, TX and the Deep South which are places I have no desire to live. People should live in a place where they are happy and where it is a good cultural fit for them.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:01 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,020,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
All of my family lives in the NJ, TX and the Deep South which are places I have no desire to live. People should live in a place where they are happy and where it is a good cultural fit for them.
I agree.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 5,193,409 times
It's difficult to genuinely be close to family if you are on opposite sides of the country for years.

It depends on the family dynamic, if your family is a good one and you all are on the same page and genuinely jive together, it's not worth other QOL benefits to move across the country and stay there, within most states you can find a nearby place within 2 hrs that offer much of what you want and still be in weekend distance.

Even with airplanes, it's a pain getting kids / grandkids on planes when they are young, driving distance does help.

For my case, I'm moderately close to my family but we are on different pages on many things. It would be difficult to live in the same city as them, but I'm close enough to them that Atlanta is too far. If I was to stay in the eastern US I'd be in NW Arkansas or SW Missouri so I can get the trees and green and weather of the east I like while still being in 1 day roadtrip distance or quick flight. If I were to go back to CO, it would be a mountain town about 2 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.