Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 06:57 AM

961 posts, read 2,017,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
The Sierra passes will be buried in snow at this time. Yes, you can almost always get through, but we are having monster snow this year.

Lake Tahoe will still be amazing, but no hiking or exploring unless your a skier!

Definitely should see Grand Canyon and Zion. Could still have snow issues in January though.
I'm open to any of these in late March-early April too. I'll update the original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 06:16 PM

761 posts, read 810,790 times
How about the California coast?

Highway 1 is probably one of the most beautiful drives in the USA.

Pick any section. The northern section has incredibly huge redwood trees…the forest feels like ‘Land of the Lost’, as well as the amazing ocean drives. Below the Bay Area you can find a small redwood patch and beautiful beaches. I love the Cambria area. San Diego has the La Jolla beaches and drives. Any drive on that coast is breathtaking!

The ocean can be the most uplifting experience. It touches your emotions and senses in a truly healing way.

You should be able to enjoy that in January without too much concern for the weather.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 12-25-2021 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-25-2021, 10:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 10,545,813 times
If you are driving in January and February you should be thinking about weather. Sun-belt states might have options. I would consider places south of Nashville, Little Rock, Charlotte. In the west the mountains in winter can be unpredictable so you might look at El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix, maybe Albuquerque, Las Vegas, coastal California.

Old 12-26-2021, 12:01 AM

37 posts, read 28,165 times
San Jose, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur

Old 12-26-2021, 01:18 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,631,604 times
Twin cities- cross over into WI and take hwy 35 down along the St. Croix river, passing beautiful small towns and shops. Cross back over into MN at Wabasha (film site of grumpy ole men), come back up hwy 61

Old 12-26-2021, 02:59 PM

215 posts, read 471,727 times
Los Angeles to San Diego, you can fly into LAX, rent a car and drive PCH along the coast.

There are many beautiful beach cities along the way, and there is a small ugly industrial part going through Wilmington, and the western part of Long Beach is a bit gritty but 99% of the drive will take your breath away.

Some parts will be slow due to traffic or just passing through the beach towns main district (Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Redondo Beach, Long Beach) and some parts of the 5 freeway in San Diego but I don’t have a problem with it because it allows me to enjoy the scenery and take it all in. It’s probably less crowded this time of the year being that summer is over and less tourists. This trip can take anywhere from two to four hours, depending on you stopping along the way and traffic.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:03 PM

11,668 posts, read 7,811,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Mount Evans is not an option in January or February. US-101 could have a lot of rain. I-90, I-70 and US-50 will likely have snow.
Most scenic areas in America are Mountainous and will by default exhibit this issue this time of year unless you stay on the Pacific Coast. I didn’t account for the time period or weather, just location.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:14 PM

3,148 posts, read 3,100,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Consider San Diego, Yuma, Tucson, Orlando, or Miami. Maybe Miami and drive down to Key West on the Overseas Highway. Perfect time of year for that.

Miami, FL to Key West, FL 33040 - Google Maps
I was also going to suggest the Overseas Highway. Also for January/February, Everglades National Park is nice; no mosquitoes.You can drive to the tip of the Florida Peninsula and look at where the Gulf meets the Atlantic.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:18 PM

961 posts, read 2,017,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Twin cities- cross over into WI and take hwy 35 down along the St. Croix river, passing beautiful small towns and shops. Cross back over into MN at Wabasha (film site of grumpy ole men), come back up hwy 61
Is twin cities Minneapolis & St. Paul? Is the above doable in a full day ?

Old 12-26-2021, 07:35 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,631,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Is twin cities Minneapolis & St. Paul? Is the above doable in a full day ?
Yes! Doable in 3 hrs round trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.