Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2022, 12:47 PM

32,194 posts, read 34,899,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The communities we have been talking about are all relatively safe. Parkside is a great community. Eastland Garden's is a great community. Benning is a great community. The places that have issues are multi-family streets. The neighborhoods I'm talking about are homeowner streets without multi-family buildings.
I can't wait for some of you guys to get married and have children. Let's see how long your wife will live in Eastland Gardens lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 12:54 PM

13,773 posts, read 15,851,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And by "full attack mode" you mean not agreeing with you.

I came into the thread saying that in my opinion Mt. Airy would be the best fit. And I clearly said I believed this to be the case because it has all the amenities you listed plus affordable housing and private school options. And I said that the schools are very relevant since most young couples bail on city living primarily because of schools.

I said that Crestwood would be ideal, but I also said that it's expensive, so not so ideal. You're really just upset because I said most people with families are not trying to raise them off Benning Road.
No, if you had actually read most of the thread, people were discussing all the neighborhoods around the nation and really focusing on the neighborhood block groups with high incomes. I listed Hill Crest, Penn Branch, Benning, and River Terrace based on income and Black owned businesses existing or coming.

If crime is a problem, most people aren't living anywhere in cities at this point. You can get shot anywhere. It's 2021 and Philly just recorded more murders than the crack epidemic (557). How is that even possible honestly?

As for schools, people who choose to live in cities with children do so knowing what they are getting into. It's really that simple.

I don't know how you can be so sure about families with children not moving into Ward 7 and 8 honestly. Here is block group where 33% are school aged children with close to 2,000 people.

St. Elizabeth East Adjacent Neighborhood

Population Density: 19,511.7 people per square mile
Percent Black: 83% Black
Median Household Income: $90,694
Median Age: 28.7 years old

Old 01-06-2022, 01:13 PM

21,808 posts, read 12,997,218 times
Quote:
I can't wait for some of you guys to get married and have children. Let's see how long your wife will live in Eastland Gardens lol.
I was there, divorced now. don’t wait on me.

You know the one city I couldn’t convince my ex-wife to move to? Philly. She literally chose Baltimore over Philly. She was non budging due to her perceptions, as a NJ native, of Philly.

The only reason I acquiesced was to avoid changing my license and documents at an new states DMV. I was bullish on Philly because it was close to friends and family in NYC CT and Boston.

She wanted Boston cuz she liked it (she’s Haitian too but says Boston has a lot of “fake Haitians”) but her job is requires her being in Baltimore and my Boston job is remote. She was reluctant to consider NYC. She loved Bmore but has cooled on it since our child.

We have a son and she’s off to the county for a better environment.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
What? LOL...have you actually been to Eastland Garden's? There is basically no crime at all. It's a silo surrounded by national parks and two streams headed to the Anacostia River. It's safer than Hill Crest if we are being honest. No pass-through traffic at all.

It has one of the most powerful civic associations in DC. It was also one of the only neighborhoods in DC built by Black architects for Black people. There are homes that date to the 1800's in Eastland Gardens. I'm done after that comment.

Eastland Gardens Civic Association (Yes, that is Eleanor Holmes Norton at their civic association meeting in the picture)

Eastland Gardens Black Architectual History

The African American Architects &
Builders of Eastland Gardens
1928-1955

Images of Eastland Gardens History

Just so everyone knows which neighborhood Bajan thinks is so horrible:

Eastland Gardens 1 Street View

Eastland Gardens 2 Street View

Eastland Gardens 3 Street View

Eastland Gardens 4 Street View

Eastland Gardens 5 Street View

Old 01-06-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

You know the one city I couldn’t convince my ex-wife to move to? Philly. She literally chose Baltimore over Philly. The only reason I acquiesced was to avoid changing my license and documents at an new states DMV. I was bullish on Philly because it was close to friends and family in NYC CT and Boston. She wanted Boston cuz she liked it (she’s Haitian but says Boston has too many “fake Haitians”) but her job is requires her being in Baltimore and my Boston job is remote. She was reluctant to consider NYC. She loved Bmore but has cooled on it since our child.

LOL!

It's hard for me to divorce any discussion about family living from the issue of cost. Between housing and childcare, we are currently paying around $10,000 per month. That's before food, clothing, retirement, general savings, vacations (not many of those nowadays), 529s, tuition, etc. It's becoming unsustainable.

We are considering Philly because it's cheap and I have more family to rely on there than she has here. It's easy for me to put together a mental roadmap of how we can live comfortably in Philly. Baltimore is out of the question. We loved DC, but it's farther away from family. Also a bit harder to live a super comfortable life.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

You know the one city I couldn’t convince my ex-wife to move to? Philly. She literally chose Baltimore over Philly. She was non budging due to her perceptions, as a NJ native, of Philly.

The only reason I acquiesced was to avoid changing my license and documents at an new states DMV. I was bullish on Philly because it was close to friends and family in NYC CT and Boston.

She wanted Boston cuz she liked it (she’s Haitian too but says Boston has a lot of “fake Haitians”) but her job is requires her being in Baltimore and my Boston job is remote. She was reluctant to consider NYC. She loved Bmore but has cooled on it since our child.

Me too! Got married at 24. Been divorced a few years now. I don't even entertain Bajan when he asks personal questions about me or other people on the internet of all places. He doesn't know anything about any of our personal lives in regard to marriage or children so let him just ramble...

I can't even count how many families I know who have moved into Ward 7 and 8 with children at all ages. I also know many Principals and educators all over DCPS and charter schools. Your child's success is about parental involvement and drive, not test scores. If we are going to have a conversation about schools and what really matters for African American success, that deserves its own thread because it's extremely complex. It doesn't matter how much your family makes or what background, being Black in school and motivating Black children, especially Black boys can be challenging.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Me too! Got married at 24. Been divorced a few years now. I don't even entertain Bajan when he asks personal questions about me or other people on the internet of all places. He doesn't know anything about any of our personal lives in regard to marriage or children so let him just ramble...
Hmm. I never knew you got married and definitely did not know you got married that young. Is this as true as your claim that you were 29 years old in 2010, and also 29 years old in 2012, and also 29 years old in 2014?

When do you finally turn 30?

Old 01-06-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
LOL!

It's hard for me to divorce any discussion about family living from the issue of cost. Between housing and childcare, we are currently paying around $10,000 per month. That's before food, clothing, retirement, general savings, vacations (not many of those nowadays), 529s, tuition, etc. It's becoming unsustainable.

We are considering Philly because it's cheap and I have more family to rely on there than she has here. It's easy for me to put together a mental roadmap of how we can live comfortably in Philly. Baltimore is out of the question. We loved DC, but it's farther away from family. Also a bit harder to live a super comfortable life.
Putting your child in private school or schools with the highest test scores is not going to guarantee they succeed. If you think it will, that's unfortunate. Education is about finding out what motivates your child.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Putting your child in private school or schools with the highest test scores is not going to guarantee they succeed. If you think it will, that's unfortunate. Education is about finding out what motivates your child.
Nothing is guaranteed. But most parents are not going to choose Ballou over Sidwell Friends if given the choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Hmm. I never knew you got married and definitely did not know you got married that young. Is this as true as your claim that you were 29 years old in 2010, and also 29 years old in 2012, and also 29 years old in 2014?

When do you finally turn 30?
If you don't believe me, I don't know what to tell you. I love how you decided not to answer the post about Eastland Garden's though. I wouldn't either if I were you.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.