Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2022, 04:29 PM

13,785 posts, read 15,879,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Many

Northeast:
Cedonia
Cedmont
Ednor Gardens Lakeside
New Northwood
Original Northwood
Gardenville
Perring Loch
Loch Raven

Northwest:
Ashburton
Glen
Arlington
Dolfield
Howard Park
Forest Park

Southwest:
Beechfield
Ten Hills
West Hills
Westgate
Which neighborhoods have the highest income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 07:49 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,454,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Personally, I feel the desire to live around people that look like you (for marginalized people) is about equity and lack of representation. After 400 years of oppression, then Jim Crow, then fighting for equal rights, equal pay, and equal education, you can imagine the head start and privilege races that didn't experience those things have enjoyed historically.

Then to top it off, discrimination still exists and the idea of superiority over other races is still taught in household around the nation.

Do you know the definition of racism? How about prejudice?

Racism: the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

Prejudice: preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

When people speak about race and issues surrounding race, there is a major factor that is lost when discussing what it means to be racist. Race in America wouldn't be a big deal if people actually thought everyone from different races were created equal.

I have often heard people mention that they feel African Americans or Latin X Americans etc. etc. are racist because they heard people from those races say that they dislike people from another race be that White or any other race of people etc. The question that isn't asked is whether those people feel like they are superior to the race they dislike.

Obviously, someone should never dislike someone because of their race, however, there is a big difference between disliking someone versus feeling like you're superior to them. When Black and Latin X people say they dislike someone from a certain race, it has been my experience that their choice is based on how they were treated in the past by that race. They do not, however, think they are superior to them. That doesn't make it right, but it is because of their experience with another race that discriminated against them.

Because of these points, minorities feel safer around people that look like them. They also feel that politicians that look like them will care about the things they care about. History has been the lesson that taught them that in America unfortunately. People from marginalized racial groups aren't going to be racist for the most part. They can, however, be prejudice.

As for politicians, most of them aren't minorities so asking for diversity hits on the points I mentioned. It is the same if someone wants a female political representative. It's about diversity which is lacking in America. This particular thread is about Black middle-class neighborhoods. What you should be asking yourself is why aren't they prevalent all over America? American history is the reason...
That guy is troll FYI.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:51 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,454,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
A tik tok of this black girl from Atlanta who goes to BU went viral of her trashing Boston and calling the black people who live there “not real black people”. It went viral, and there are a lot of stitches. Lets just say, shes not on the good side of black boston.

Some points she highlighted
-Bad nightlife (well obviously)
-a lack of monuments honoring the first black lawyer, doctor, mlk, etc who all spent time there.
-not having a black mayor

She then critiqued Roxbury and Dorchester as cities with “faux black culture hidden behind african roots. Nubian Square is a joke.”

Thoughts?
Uninformed opinion from a child who hasn’t been exposed to much and expects everything to be like Her home town. I wouldn’t put too much stock into it. Chances are, that girl isn’t actually from Atlanta but a suburb anyway.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:36 AM

21,839 posts, read 13,058,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Uninformed opinion from a child who hasn’t been exposed to much and expects everything to be like Her home town. I wouldn’t put too much stock into it. Chances are, that girl isn’t actually from Atlanta but a suburb anyway.
“Faux culture”…

The only thing that was even remotely informed was bad nightlife- but like.. it’s not a nightlife city though. And there’s definitely more than enough to do it just requires you actually find an event and go to it. Which I guess is asking too much? You can go in event brute and find several parties in 2 minutes. Also if youre unfriendly and think youre better than the locals you won’t make friend and you won’t get invited anywhere cool.

When was there labor day on a boat in Boston harbor with 250 (of what I thought were real) black people, two bars, great music, skyline views at night on the harbor. Also saw a lil outdoor rap show Allston where I bumped into some friends from HS, we had a few drinks and got some food in Cambridge. I guess she wants KOD and Magic City? We straight.

She’s prolly a bird… but if she wants to meet other birds and have bird talk the Bostons Playas Ball is happening tomorrow at Good Life Bar https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-pla...93557?ref=eios

Lotta “real” blacks people there im sure

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-08-2022 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-08-2022, 08:37 AM

21,839 posts, read 13,058,542 times
Quote:
Which neighborhoods have the highest income?
Probably Ten Hills and Glen.

After That probably Howard Park, Westgate, Perring Loch and Original Northwood in that order. I’m guessing.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:39 AM

32,768 posts, read 48,516,950 times
They are welcome to come here and fit themselves in, but they are not going to get much from their wish list. If they are much more wealthy than the average American, they can get a house within walking distance of activities. Or, for less money but still a very large amount of money, they can get a house within walking distance of shopping. That's an either/or choice. And there is no public transportation, so they would need a car.

There are African Americans who live here and more who vacation here, so your wish list is not universally applicable.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:55 AM

94,378 posts, read 125,347,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Detroit has the middle class neighborhoods, as there is actually a collection of middle class neighborhoods just west of Woodward/south of 8 Mile(Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, the University District, etc.). It is just the public transportation piece that is lacking.
Some census tracts in that area, University District: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...5384-wayne-mi/
Residential: https://goo.gl/maps/eU9Ng1Ln5gme5bWA8

Sherwood Forest/Palmer Woods: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...5382-wayne-mi/
Residential, SF: https://goo.gl/maps/cJ4F14d31ga5gvVF7
PW: https://goo.gl/maps/nZCWgarnPiuZkWG16

Green Acres: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...5381-wayne-mi/
Residential: https://goo.gl/maps/x76SS9nWCY18PkF88

There are some lower middle class census tracts west of those as well,

If parents don’t want to send their kids to Mumford for HS, they like look to get into Renaissance and Cass Tech, among other good DPS magnet options; private/Catholic schools like University of Detroit Jesuit(all male), Loyola(all male and almost all black in enrollment), Cristo Rey, etc. or the charter route. Michigan also has Schools of Choice.

Livernois is a street with many black owned businesses next to these neighborhoods: https://goo.gl/maps/HQ1dfeKBhUwk21KB7

Old 01-08-2022, 10:59 AM

16,729 posts, read 29,692,486 times
Quote:
Personally, I feel the desire to live around people that look like you (for marginalized people) is about equity and lack of representation. After 400 years of oppression, then Jim Crow, then fighting for equal rights, equal pay, and equal education, you can imagine the head start and privilege races that didn't experience those things have enjoyed historically.

Then to top it off, discrimination still exists and the idea of superiority over other races is still taught in household around the nation.

Do you know the definition of racism? How about prejudice?

Racism: the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

Prejudice: preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

When people speak about race and issues surrounding race, there is a major factor that is lost when discussing what it means to be racist. Race in America wouldn't be a big deal if people actually thought everyone from different races were created equal.

I have often heard people mention that they feel African Americans or Latin X Americans etc. etc. are racist because they heard people from those races say that they dislike people from another race be that White or any other race of people etc. The question that isn't asked is whether those people feel like they are superior to the race they dislike.

Obviously, someone should never dislike someone because of their race, however, there is a big difference between disliking someone versus feeling like you're superior to them. When Black and Latin X people say they dislike someone from a certain race, it has been my experience that their choice is based on how they were treated in the past by that race. They do not, however, think they are superior to them. That doesn't make it right, but it is because of their experience with another race that discriminated against them.

Because of these points, minorities feel safer around people that look like them. They also feel that politicians that look like them will care about the things they care about. History has been the lesson that taught them that in America unfortunately. People from marginalized racial groups aren't going to be racist for the most part. They can, however, be prejudice.

As for politicians, most of them aren't minorities so asking for diversity hits on the points I mentioned. It is the same if someone wants a female political representative. It's about diversity which is lacking in America. This particular thread is about Black middle-class neighborhoods. What you should be asking yourself is why aren't they prevalent all over America? American history is the reason...
An excellent post. Very well-explained and well-said.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Putting your child in private school or schools with the highest test scores is not going to guarantee they succeed. If you think it will, that's unfortunate. Education is about finding out what motivates your child.
Amen to this. Another excellent post from MDAllstar.

This is a common thought throughout the U.S., especially in the Metro Boston Area - and I feel for these do families that do not realize this.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
A tik tok of this black girl from Atlanta who goes to BU went viral of her trashing Boston and calling the black people who live there “not real black people”. It went viral, and there are a lot of stitches. Lets just say, shes not on the good side of black boston.

Some points she highlighted
-Bad nightlife (well obviously)
-a lack of monuments honoring the first black lawyer, doctor, mlk, etc who all spent time there.
-not having a black mayor

She then critiqued Roxbury and Dorchester as cities with “faux black culture hidden behind african roots. Nubian Square is a joke.”

Thoughts?
Whoa! I want to see this!

My thoughts? Based on your description and what you are posting, I think she is spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.