Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2022, 08:43 AM

21,799 posts, read 12,960,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn’t Roxbury dealing with serious gentrification or has that subsided a bit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

In 2020 ROXBURY was

41.5% Black (down from 51.7% in 2010)
30.5% Latino (up from 27.5% in 2010)
9.0% Other and Mixed (just take that as Cape Verdean, trust me)
6% Asian (up from 2.7%)
13.1% White (up from 11.5% white in 2010)
http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...4-0c51c325b216

In reality? I think there's a huge undercount not just because actually there was a large black undercount in this census- but because Roxbury feels way blacker than 41.5%..

Regardless, its not under threat of massive white population expansion only about 1200 whites moved in over 10 years... The schools, politics (Bosotons highly racialized landscape makes all issues regarding race/gentrification extremely heightedned in the media bothlocal and national), stigma, and housing environment (scarcity and income restrictions)t prevent it.
One of the reasons it isn't as intense gentrification as some other black key neighborhoods/areas is Boston has plenty of other non-black highly urban spaces inside and outside the city to start to/finish gentrify(ing) first.

Forget all the other reasons I listed above- they've still got to FULLY gentrify:

East Boston, Roslindale, Dorchester, Chelsea, Allston, Chinatown, Mission Hill(formerly Roxbury), Everett, Revere, Malden even Quincy etc etc

before folks really get desperate enough to really go for the Heart of Roxbury. A place that has way more political implications, safety concerns, and entrenched residents than those other areas. And oftentimes less public transit-despite being very close to downtown.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-21-2022 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 09:04 AM

2,757 posts, read 2,442,640 times
Quote:
Yea but like...naw lol. Its just so primarily nonblack and it actually has a mall and I always think of that as Wheaton not Hyattsville.

I mean- you're totally right but...ya know?

Beltsville! I forgot about Beltsville. Beltsville and Largo definitely make me think PG, for some reason I associate them with Landover.
I don't think anyone in Montgomery County wants to claim Hyattsville lol. Hyattsville is PG through and through.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:16 AM

14,356 posts, read 17,098,870 times
Quote:
One of the reasons it isn't as intense gentrification as some other black key neighborhoods/areas is Boston has plenty of other non-black highly urban spaces inside and outside the city to start to/finish gentrify(ing) first.

Forget all the other reasons I listed above- they've still got to FULLY gentrify:

East Boston, Roslindale, Dorchester, Chelsea, Allston, Chinatown, Mission Hill(formerly Roxbury), Everett, Revere, Malden even Quincy etc etc

before folks really get desperate enough to really go for the Heart of Roxbury. A place that has way more political implications, safety concerns, and entrenched residents than those other areas. And oftentimes less public transit-despite being very close to downtown.
Roxbury really doesn't have T access either, except for Jackson Square, which is on the fringe of the neighborhood, and not very similar demographically to the rest of Roxbury (very heavily Latino - mostly Dominican).

The only part of Roxbury I believe is gentrifying is Fort Hill, which is right next to Mission Hill.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Roxbury really doesn't have T access either, except for Jackson Square, which is on the fringe of the neighborhood, and not very similar demographically to the rest of Roxbury (very heavily Latino - mostly Dominican).

The only part of Roxbury I believe is gentrifying is Fort Hill, which is right next to Mission Hill.
Jackson Square might be JP but called Roxbury, whereas i think Egleston Square (Eggy) is Roxbury but called JP...Technically it has Roxbury Crossing and Ruggles too. But Jackson Square is seen as JP, Roxbury Crossing is more Mission Hill and Ruggles is more for South End/Mission Hill/Lower Roxbury.

All of them are to the west of the large road that is of Columbus Ave/Tremont Ave ...so yea it's not really Roxbury. Accessible from Roxbury and technically Roxbury but naw. Theres the "Silver Line' though lmaoo (a joke).

In addition compared to places in NE DC, Brooklyn, Harlem there's way less entertainment that isnt tied to the city/housing projects/familial relations/community center/immigrant events. Like just way less for gentrifiers or people without connections to the community to be intrigued by in terms of hangout spots/artists studios/galleries/clubs/watering holes. And the liquor license cap and community groups arent going to allow that to change anytime soon-that's for damn sure.

They exist but they really only serve locals through a series of Eventbrite/Instagram things and last-minute popup parties. Haley House is the big exception to this. They're trying to bring the gentry down from Fort Hill into Nubian Square via the new Bartlett Landing. But Fort Hill has a natural crime deterrent in that its really weird to get into or out of due to it being a steep hill. Nubian Square is the opposite of that and has way more open-air drug use and drug dealing and housing projects. More so than just about anywhere in Roxbury.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-21-2022 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-21-2022, 10:45 AM

37,921 posts, read 42,147,517 times
Quote:
Yea naw the part of Cap Heights you showed me is pretty solid compared to some of the nooks and crannies Ive seen. It ain't terrible of course but its not worth a move from where your comfortable.

Thats because it IS the South lol. I keep saying...C-D disagrees but especially compared to the actual northeast. PG is ultra suburban and the urbanite in me was done after 11 months. Dont even get me started on how southern a place like Fort Washington, Indian head or Brandywine is!!

Yes it has many northenr influences but demography, the census, chains, and development/governance all indicates its still the South. I think the conversaitonon CD would lead people to belive that DCs urbanism is all over the area and that DC is very veyr simialr to northeastern cities when it has major fundamental differences in terms of period of development, cleanlinesss, its downtown, its a district-not a city, demography. Its certainly the least southenr part of the south but the south nonetheless. you rightfully didnt include it in "best Norheast city for..."

FW:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7202...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7257...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7839...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7963...7i13312!8i6656 <--- this is maybe 5 mile outside DC city limits....

Brandywine:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6902...7i16384!8i8192

Upper Marlboro:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7877...7i16384!8i8192

Camp Springs:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7946...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7935...7i13312!8i6656

How Maryland became "not the South" is questionable for me. All of this is literally within 7/8miles of Washington DC. All of it.
Many parts of less-developed/outer-Beltway PG County remind me a good bit of portions of south Jersey actually, and I know there are very comparable neighborhoods in the Midwest also. It's not so much that such areas are Southern, but rather that they had been largely agricultural until the mid-20th century when post-war suburban development began popping up along major roadways and such which is the case for PG County. There are two major Southern characteristics that I find lacking in PG County: actual multigenerational rural communities and Confederate memorials (statues/monuments or place names).

Old 03-21-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Many parts of less-developed/outer-Beltway PG County remind me a good bit of portions of south Jersey actually, and I know there are very comparable neighborhoods in the Midwest also. It's not so much that such areas are Southern, but rather that they had been largely agricultural until the mid-20th century when post-war suburban development began popping up along major roadways and such which is the case for PG County. There are two major Southern characteristics that I find lacking in PG County: actual multigenerational rural communities and Confederate memorials (statues/monuments or place names).
I know where you're talking in about south/central jersey. Ive seen itIt's similar but different. Those spaces seems smaller in South jersey and arent so very close to highly urbanized principalcities ike Philly. Ironically South Jersey is 100% where I start feeling a "southern" tinge.

My thing is not all southern counties have multigenerational rural communities. (However, there is a rural belt of Prince Georges County).

But there are southern chains, southern accents, and southern demography and history. Prince Georges was a large plantation-based, mostly slave-populated, county when the Civil war broke out. Many counties in MD could not say the same. So with that in mind and it legally being "the South" I put it in the South more so than South Jersey. But not as solidly as Charles County, Talbot County, Cecil County...

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-21-2022 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-21-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Yea but like...naw lol. Its just so primarily nonblack and it actually has a mall and I always think of that as Wheaton not Hyattsville.

I mean- you're totally right but...ya know?

Beltsville! I forgot about Beltsville. Beltsville and Largo definitely make me think PG, for some reason I associate them with Landover.
Demographically, Langley Park is the outlier in PG with its huge Hispanic population (and arguably White Oak for Montgomery with its majority Black population). Hyattsville is about one-third Black, very similar to Beltsville, Adelphi, Colesville, Takoma Park, and Silver Spring. A lot of Hyattsville's young transplanted Black professional population is clustered in the newer apartment buildings beside and behind the mall while long-term/native Blacks seem to cluster mostly in the older multifamily developments in the vicinity (and scattered throughout the rest of town in SFH). And while I don't know how much this has changed in recent years, the Mall at PG has at least historically been known for its younger Black clientele.

There are at least two notable ways that Hyattsville diverges from Montgomery County towns. Firstly, it lacks a major government/institutional economic anchor such as a large federal agency or university (in this respect, it also differs from its neighbors College Park, Beltsville, and Greenbelt) and secondly, while the arts district can have a new urbanist/town center-esque feel where the newer commercial and residential structures dominate, it's more accurately described as lowrise urban infill without much retail (and not directly serviced by a Metro rail station). Hyattsville lacks a master-planned greenfield New Urbanist development like Gaithersburg or Germantown or town center like Silver Spring, Bethesda, or Rockville. And of course, the affluence of Chevy Chase or Potomac is largely absent or just very well-hidden.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Demographically, Langley Park is the outlier in PG with its huge Hispanic population (and arguably White Oak for Montgomery with its majority Black population). Hyattsville is about one-third Black, very similar to Beltsville, Adelphi, Colesville, Takoma Park, and Silver Spring. A lot of Hyattsville's young transplanted Black professional population is clustered in the newer apartment buildings beside and behind the mall while long-term/native Blacks seem to cluster mostly in the older multifamily developments in the vicinity (and scattered throughout the rest of town in SFH). And while I don't know how much this has changed in recent years, the Mall at PG has at least historically been known for its younger Black clientele.

There are at least two notable ways that Hyattsville diverges from Montgomery County towns. Firstly, it lacks a major government/institutional economic anchor such as a large federal agency or university (in this respect, it also differs from its neighbors College Park, Beltsville, and Greenbelt) and secondly, while the arts district can have a new urbanist/town center-esque feel where the newer commercial and residential structures dominate, it's more accurately described as lowrise urban infill without much retail (and not directly serviced by a Metro rail station). Hyattsville lacks a master-planned greenfield New Urbanist development like Gaithersburg or Germantown or town center like Silver Spring, Bethesda, or Rockville. And of course, the affluence of Chevy Chase or Potomac is largely absent or just very well-hidden.
Hyattsvilel just blend into everything because PG/Maryland doesn’t really have established boundaries. I never know when I’m really in Hyattsville versus some other place. Even with places with boundaries like Hyatsville: it’s bizzare to me how a place with just 20k people be some important or notable in MD given its large population. But it does-sink think I think Hyattsville is bigger than it is. . In ma a town with 20k people is considered an obscure town.

Old 03-21-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
My thing is not all southern counties have multigenerational rural communities. (However, there is a rural belt of Prince Georges County).
Of course not, but the classification of PG County as "Southern" is based on perceived common Southern characteristics so the ways it diverges from what's common is at least notable.

Quote:
But there are southern chains, southern accents, and southern demography and history. Prince Georges was a large plantation-based, mostly slave-populated, county when the Civil war broke out. Many counties in MD could not say the same. So with that in mind and it legally being "the South" I put it in the South more so than South Jersey. But not as solidly as Charles County, Talbot County, Cecil County...
Fill me in: what Southern chains (without a national presence of course) besides Bojangles (and a few Cook-Outs) are common in PG? I don't see many or any Waffle Houses, Huddle Houses, Zaxby's, Fatz, Piggly Wiggly, QT, Whataburger, Belk, etc?

To me, PG is largely suburban with much of its Southernness being something of a secondhand characteristic as a result of its large relatively insulated Black population. It could just as well be an overgrown Willingboro, NJ lol.

Old 03-21-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Hyattsvilel just blend into everything because PG/Maryland doesn’t really have established boundaries. I never know when I’m really in Hyattsville versus some other place. Even with places with boundaries like Hyatsville: it’s bizzare to me how a place with just 20k people be some important or notable in MD given its large population. But it does-sink think I think Hyattsville is bigger than it is. . In ma a town with 20k people is considered an obscure town.
I can certainly agree with this. Come to find out, all the people living in those apartments behind the mall actually reside in Chillum and not Hyattsville lol.

This piece and the comments below it discuss this issue pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.