Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 01:06 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I should have rephrased it. They're too enamored with it, they accept any business as good business (as you said) which hurts the overall quality of retail and the physical landscape of the county. I have no idea what % of their budget comes from commercial tax.

Brick and Mortar retail is overly abundant in the US in general but I find the land-use model for it in PG is pretty bad which is probably why that plaza was vacated in the first place, simply not needed. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...N0Qpx96BAgsEAg

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7937...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8455...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9262...7i13312!8i6656

^this stuff is abundant from Allentown up through Landover. How is another Checkers moving the needle for (inner) PG?

To your second part- the first and most obvious way would be to increase your property tax base- but that's controversial. But the way to increase your property values (natural property tax boost)do that is by improving schools- that's difficult, lowering crime- is also difficult. And more genuine transit oriented development (this is occurring via the Purple Line)
There seems to be some disagreement with where Prince George’s County should invest their time and money. There was a recent article talking about people living outside of the beltway saying people were pushing back against the current administrations focus on inner beltway neighborhoods which is absurd if you ask me. The investment needed is inside the beltway around metro stations exactly where they are investing. They believe the focus should be outside the beltway.

Their plan for the blue line stations can use the momentum of Ward 7 and Ward 8 development moving right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 01:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
There seems to be some disagreement with where Prince George’s County should invest their time and money. There was a recent article talking about people living outside of the beltway saying people were pushing back against the current administrations focus on inner beltway neighborhoods which is absurd if you ask me. The investment needed is inside the beltway around metro stations exactly where they are investing. They believe the focus should be outside the beltway.

Their plan for the blue line stations can use the momentum of Ward 7 and Ward 8 development moving right now.
That is absurd. What should they be investing in outside the beltway? What needs their urgent attention?

Old 03-30-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
That is absurd. What should they be investing in outside the beltway? What needs their urgent attention?
I don’t know, but apparently some of her opposition is using that for the backbone of their campaigns. It always comes down to them versus us when it comes to investment in the Black community which is sad. It seems to go along class lines in predominantly Black communities which is the opposite in diverse communities like a DC or NYC or Boston where the White people and other races support investment in historically oppressed areas.

Black people still act like crabs in a bucket unfortunately which plays out in wealthy Black jurisdictions like Prince George’s county.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:50 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
This is actually great density around the relatively new Morgan Boulevard station - modern infill in a 90%+ black area, right next to a Metro station. Just stick some ground-floor retail in and it would be a great majority-black (and wealthy - average income is $93,000+) urban neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is actually great density around the relatively new Morgan Boulevard station - modern infill in a 90%+ black area, right next to a Metro station. Just stick some ground-floor retail in and it would be a great majority-black (and wealthy - average income is $93,000+) urban neighborhood.
i recommmended this neighborhood to someone on another thread. I almost moved to this area.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:23 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
I spent my time in PG all over but lived in Central/southern inner PG (Suitland) and (Temple Hills, my then gf's place). Had friends and been to their homes in Fort Washington, the Gale at Eckington in Noma/Eckington, right on North Capitol Street, Arlington, in an income-restricted unit on Georgia Ave, Petworth and Mass Ave just south of AU. Even had a white friend who helped me move to DC he was born in raised way out Northwest. I've had the privilege to survey and compare the retail landscape and landscape in general of many areas of the Washington Metro. And you're right- it doesn't have the density/transit/history of ward 7/8 by and large (also has less crime). National Harbor has the Tanger Outlets and they're cool or whatever nothing to write home about. But there should be more of it all over the county...

Central/Southern (inner) PG will only benefit from incorporation if they have a strong, seasoned community-oriented leader. There is a real lack of community in unincorporated places- something I really do not like in large proportions.
I agree, local/neighborhood pride is pretty low in the DMV. It's all about county.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I agree, local/neighborhood pride is pretty low in the DMV. It's all about county.
I'm not gonna go so far as to say the whole DMV because I wasn't living in DC proper and I can't speak to that as much. But it's certainly more bout the county and maybe even your occupation than neighborhood/towns which are generally either pretty insignificant or amorphous.

It becomes a problem when the area is fairly densely populated and has deep social issues coupled with low-to-moderate incomes. It could use some more community involvement/spirit/leadership to make QOL changes and sustain them. In my mind, an unincorporated area should be sparsely populated or at the very least - newly developed/settled.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not gonna go so far as to say the whole DMV because I wasn't living in DC proper and I can't speak to that as much. But it's certainly more bout the county and maybe even your occupation than neighborhood/towns which are generally either pretty insignificant or amorphous.

It becomes a problem when the area is fairly densely populated and has deep social issues coupled with low-to-moderate incomes. It could use some more community involvement/spirit/leadership to make QOL changes and sustain them. In my mind, an unincorporated area should be sparsely populated or at the very least - newly developed/settled.

Pride in DC proper is really high when it comes to neighborhoods, wards, and the city as a whole. That may be a problem in the suburbs I would assume because their neighborhoods may be new without the historical context. Those suburban neighborhoods with historical context do have pride though. I assume some of the pride in the city may be related directly to the city versus suburbs debate. I think that is true for most cities around the nation.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:04 PM

This is the stuff Boston has to go through to get liquor licenses for Black restaurants/lounges. We have to petition the state to raise their cap on Boston LQ licenses...smh

Councilors to look at seeking four liquor licenses for Nubian Square's Bolling Building

"The City Council will consider a proposal to seek permission from the state legislature to give Boston four new liquor licenses that would be restricted to use in the Bolling Building in Nubian Square, as a way to help stimulate economic activity there and help ease the historic disparity between wealthy Boston Proper areas and the city's Black and Brown neighborhoods when it comes to liquor licenses.

Although the building is mainly used as the Boston Public Schools headquarters, its ground floor has restaurant and community space."

And then in true Boston fashion, we have internal Black community disagreement:

"However, Councilor Tania Fernandes Anderson, who represents Nubian Square and the rest of Roxbury, said she opposes the proposal. She said she recognizes the argument that liquor licenses can help restaurants thrive and can boost a neighborhood's economy, but said that her Muslim faith teaches her that alcohol is "detrimental to health and well being: and that there are "healthier, more appropriate ways to grow an economy."

So because she's Muslim we shouldn't want liquor licenses for Roxbury restaurants.. .$100 says she never mentioned this while campaigning. We have 10 full-service liquor licenses for black onwed businesses in this city of 173k black people, 10...and she is opposed to even asking for 4 more. Amazing.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-30-2022 at 03:36 PM..

Old 03-30-2022, 03:44 PM

409 posts, read 333,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
PG does have low commercial rents with all those vacant commercial strips, so its a good area if you're an entrepreneur I agree.

Most of knowledge of PG is outside the beltway or Northern PG. Inner PG seems to have a whole set of other issues and doesn't even have the transit/density/historic value that Wards 7 and 8 have so I fear it will continue to be a dumping ground for this areas poor.

Unfortunately aside from National Harbor, I don't see any type of investment in improving that part of the county's transit. I wonder if those neighborhoods might benefit from incorporating?
Interestingly enough, those neighborhoods in inner central PG County like Cap Heights, Seat Pleasant & District Heights are already incorporated. They have their city councils/police departments/government websites and mayors but the leadership isn't the best. There's been a history of corruption involving those inner Central PG county areas in the past too.

Cap Heights- http://www.capitolheightsmd.gov/
District Heights- https://districtheights.org/
Seat Pleasant- https://www.seatpleasantmd.gov/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.