Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 01:10 PM

21,808 posts, read 12,997,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Has there been a comprehensive plan update to increase allowable density and height to accommodate larger projects on those corridors? Honestly, those smaller lots are less likely to be developed. The profit margin just isn't large enough for large developers with access to capital. To revitalize those areas, there needs to be multiple parcels assembled for largescale redevelopment. That will attract the private sector.
Lo,l no. This is Boston. They don't even have a Planning Department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Oh wow, that's surprising. DC doesn't have nearly that many. They also aren't large like those. I will tell you the redevelopment potential is massive for those shopping centers you just posted.
bruh... Boston is the most wildly different city from neighborhood to neighborhood. I can't stress that enough.

Even thin neighborhoods:

this

this

and https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3164...7i16384!8i8192

is all just Dochester.

Compare to East Boston North End and West Roxbury or Jamaica Plain or
Seaport and Chinatown

All in like 48 square miles, 4 of which is airport.

You see massive underdeveloped areas because of how undesirable the city one was and most people who move to Boston are only looking at a relatively small portion of the city which isnt unique to Boston but it surprises some people. A lot ofthe city is or at least was lower middle class and would be a last resort to the non-immigrant transplant population. Many of the nice assets have been long undervalued in Boston. Really until like 7-8 years ago IMO. I know at times it seems like I downplay the variability of DC but im comparing it to this.^ Having seen both cities extensively.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-04-2022 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 01:48 PM

13,773 posts, read 15,851,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
bruh... Boston is the most wildly different city from neighborhood to neighborhood. I can't stress that enough.

Even thin neighborhoods:

this

this

and https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3164...7i16384!8i8192

is all just Dochester.

Compare to East Boston North End and West Roxbury or Jamaica Plain or
Seaport and Chinatown

All in like 48 square miles, 4 of which is airport.

You see massive underdeveloped areas because of how undesirable the city one was and most people who move to Boston are only looking at a relatively small portion of the city which isnt unique to Boston but it surprises some people. A lot ofthe city is or at least was lower middle class and would be a last resort to the non-immigrant transplant population. Many of the nice assets have been long undervalued in Boston. Really until like 7-8 years ago IMO. I know at times it seems like I downplay the variability of DC but im comparing it to this.^ Having seen both cities extensively.
I will say based on the information you have provided in multiple threads, DC and Boston do seem to be headed in different directions when it comes to urban development. DC government seems to be pro-development all over the city while Boston seems to only be pro-development in areas around downtown Boston and within a 1-mile radius or along the water. Do you think that is because Boston lacks height limits?

I do think DC is so pro-development across the city because it has no choice. The city has to grow, and downtown can't accommodate the growth in the sky because of height limits. I mean, just last week, the city announced this:

DC’s Plan to Build 33,000 Housing Units on New York Avenue by 2043

One important positive aspect to the massive housing development constantly happening west of the Anacostia river is that the 90 percent African American neighborhoods east of the Anacostia river in Wards 7 and 8 which share borders with predominantly Black Prince George's County will most likely remain Black for the foreseeable future and the new mixed-use developments being built in east of the river neighborhoods will be comprised of young Black professionals and Black owned businesses.

The reality is you have to build as much housing in your city as you can if you want to keep Black neighborhoods Black. Otherwise, people that would normally not be looking for housing in your neighborhood will come looking for housing in your neighborhoods because of a lack of supply in other neighborhoods. When Black people move to the DMV area, the first place they look to buy houses in DC is Ward 7 and Ward 8 and if they desire to live outside the city, they look in Prince Geoge's County. When other races move to the DMV area, they look in west of the river DC neighborhoods, Arlington, Fairfax, and Montgomery County. That is the housing equation.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:07 PM

Boston doesn't have the autonomy DC does. It is beholden to state regulations that are drafted in favor of suburban municipalities. It's very constrained in that respect. Lots of stuff Boston wants to due but can because of local control/home rule and municipal governments lobbying in the State House. Additionally were riddled with incumbency bias so the state is marked by unbelievable inertia. MA was the last statehouse to reopen in the western hemisphere just a few weeks ago.

Certain Areas like Dorchester Bay City (near the water) Nubian Square (2 miles from downtown) and Glovers Corner in Dorchester get intense focus but not many.

Also unlike Dc where there's been more racial parity Boston has a very distorted white/black power relationship certain things that are tough but palatable in DC (gentrification/displacement/development) seem too much like punching down in the Boston political world. So development slows to a crawl as equity factors are considered and they tend to involve the state, city, private entities as well as community nonprofits. Its one of the prices the city pays for its past sins. RFP bids are sometimes rejected for not meeting onerous community-oriented and community-generated demands.

Developers are too used to getting variances and favors and know who to turn to on the BPDA advisory board and local neighborhood groups are too used to being legitimate political power brokers. Hard to break this cycle. Thusly neighborhoods end up very different. Height limits play a smaller role as Boston has height limits imposed by the FAA due to its Airport.

Additionally, unlike DC the public transportation in Boston is older, slower, slightly less used and feels less safe, and is much dirtier. Rail doesn't go into black neighborhoods as much in Boston as it does in DC and it's too hub and spoke in Boston- less useful than DC for everyday non-work things.

Ironically, despite what we see Boston has preserved its black % far better than DC has. I think that's because there are fewer affordable towns in the Boston suburbs and more income-restricted housing in Bosotn blackest neighborhoods. DC also had more black neighborhoods in the core of DC that were obvious site for redevelopment.

Development is indeed more even in DC with sginificantly lower highs and slightly higher lows (debatable due to far NW DC)

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-04-2022 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Boston doesn't have the autonomy DC does. It is beholden to state regulations that are drafted in favor of suburban municipalities. It's very constrained in that respect. Lots of stuff Boston wants to due but can because of local control/home rule and municipal governments lobbying in the State House. Additionally were riddled with incumbency bias so the state is marked by unbelievable inertia. MA was the last statehouse to reopen in the western hemisphere just a few weeks ago.

Certain Areas like Dorchester Bay City (near the water) Nubian Square (2 miles from downtown) and Glovers Corner in Dorchester get intense focus but not many.

Also unlike Dc where there's been more racial parity Boston has a very distorted white/black power relationship certain things that are tough but palatable in DC (gentrification/displacement/development) seem too much like punching down in the Boston political world. So development slows to a crawl as equity factors are considered and they tend to involve the state, city, private entities as well as community nonprofits. Its one of the prices the city pays for its past sins. RFP bids are sometimes rejected for not meeting onerous community-oriented and community-generated demands.

Developers are too used to getting variances and favors and know who to turn to on the BPDA advisory board and local neighborhood groups are too used to being legitimate political power brokers. Hard to break this cycle. Thusly neighborhoods end up very different. Height limits play a smaller role as Boston has height limits imposed by the FAA due to its Airport.

Additionally, unlike DC the public transportation in Boston is older, slower, slightly less used and feels less safe, and is much dirtier. Rail doesn't go into black neighborhoods as much in Boston as it does in DC and it's too hub and spoke in Boston- less useful than DC for everyday non-work things.

Ironically, despite what we see Boston has preserved its black % far better than DC has. I think that's because there are fewer affordable towns in the Boston suburbs and more income-restricted housing in Bosotn blackest neighborhoods. DC also had more black neighborhoods in the core of DC that were obvious site for redevelopment.

Development is indeed more even in DC with sginificantly lower highs and slightly higher lows (debatable due to far NW DC)
Well Black people have controlled DC for the last 60 years so that probably explains the difference too. Currently, almost all DC contracts go to Black DC developers.

DC Mayor Bowser Unveils New Strategy to Enhance Equity in District Development Opportunities

They even just started a $10 million homeownership fund where the only requirement to get it thus far is being Black which I have never heard of before around the nation.

BET News: D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser Unveils $10 Million Plan To Increase Black Homeownership

Old 04-04-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Well Black people have controlled DC for the last 60 years so that probably explains the difference too. Currently, almost all DC contracts go to Black DC developers.

DC Mayor Bowser Unveils New Strategy to Enhance Equity in District Development Opportunities

They even just started a $10 million homeownership fund where the only requirement to get it thus far is being Black which I have never heard of before around the nation.

BET News: D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser Unveils $10 Million Plan To Increase Black Homeownership
Yea you can’t do that without tremendous legal challenge in a state that’s ~8% black with only a handful maybe a handful and a half of black developers.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Yea you can’t do that without tremendous legal challenge in a state that’s ~8% black with only a handful maybe a handful and a half of black developers.
That's actually sad considering Black people have been impacted by racist policy in all 50 states across America. For DC, here is the definition the city is using below:

To facilitate equitable access to District development projects, DMPED will begin incorporating a prioritization in their RFPs for teams that maximize, by percentage of ownership and control, entities designated as Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) and Residence Owned Business (ROB), or any entities (including non-profits and community institutions) led by, or majority controlled by, individuals designated as socially disadvantaged under the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) definition.

That definition has made sure that every contract has been awarded to a Black developer over the last 2-years which is amazing for Black wealth in DC. I mean, it's so drastic non-Black developers aren't even being shortlisted for development projects in the city.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:56 PM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
Quote:

I'm surprised some conservative legal foundation hasn't mounted some legal challenge to this last initiative.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm surprised some conservative legal foundation hasn't mounted some legal challenge to this last initiative.
I think that would be a bad look for any organization in this climate. It would be similar to voicing concern over reparations which have been paid out to many disadvantaged groups throughout American history. The other problem would be telling a jurisdiction what they can spend local tax dollars on.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I think that would be a bad look for any organization in this climate. It would be similar to voicing concern over reparations which have been paid out to many disadvantaged groups throughout American history. The other problem would be telling a jurisdiction what they can spend local tax dollars on.
Shoot… I’m with MSEL that seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen in most (almost every) cities. But DC is the black political Mecca. These trumpers are out here, not just in the beltway causing traffic jams either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.