Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2022, 08:59 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,854,337 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Development and DC and Boston

Don Peebles, a black developer born and raised in DC but now based in NYC, is pursuing multiple HIGH VALUE projects in Boston. All income-restricted Housing and Lab Space in Chinatown and the Back Bay.

Labs and apartments could be coming to the southern edge of downtown Boston

Coming soon to the corner of Mass. Ave. and Boylston: Lab space and affordable housing

Don says hes trying to meet the "community's needs" in Boston and shifted his back bay project over the mass pike from luxury housing to 100% affordable 125 units of housing. Don is the largest black developer in the US and isthe first person featured in this documentary on Americas black upper class: (good doc, long vid, watch later)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-0NsJ6RgJ0

Here's an example of a smaller black developer in Dorchester/Roxbury being celebrated in a major way by the community for building condos and naming them after his son. The Carter J. Edwards Condominiums. Built in traditional Triple-Decker Fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 09:04 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Don Peebles, a black developer born and raised in DC but now based in NYC, is pursuing multiple HIGH VALUE projects in Boston. All income-restricted Housing and Lab Space in Chinatown and the Back Bay.

Coming soon to the corner of Mass. Ave. and Boylston: Lab space and affordable housing

Don says hes trying to meet the "community's needs" in Boston and shifted his back bay project over the mass pike from luxury housing to 100% affordable 125 units of housing. Don is the largest black developer in the US and isthe first person featured in this documentary on Americas black upper class: (good doc, long vid, watch later)

Here's an example of a smaller black developer in Dorchester/Roxbury being celebrated in a major way by the community for building condos and naming them after his son. The Carter J. Edwards Condominiums. Built in traditional Triple-Decker Fashion.
He's trying to get this built in NYC: https://www.archilovers.com/projects...ion-tower.html

https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2022/...its-roadblock/

If any of you have time, this is a very interesting interview about this project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-sOhz-jf2U

Old 04-08-2022, 09:10 AM

Yea I forgot to mention McKissack and McKissack is on one of those Boston projects with him. The one in the Back Bay. (Boston Globe has a soft paywall btw, just clear your history)

A New York Developer Tishman Construction has partnered with Ruggles Progressive Partners, a new black firm, to develop Parcel 3 in Roxbury. 400 apartments (all subsidized), a Roxbury History Museum and lab space.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/03/...arcel-roxbury/

It's competing with another black development firm in Boston that wants to house the new KING Boston center there.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Wow, that really struck a memory in me. I used to love having the occasional beef patty after school. Haven’t had one of those (specifically from a train station) in years.
Yep, upper busway Forest Hills Station next to the donuts and across from the Flower stand... and Upper level at the JFK/Umass Station right before the stairs.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:29 AM

13,732 posts, read 15,795,075 times
Quote:

Yes, I know his background well. I love seeing Black developers doing well across the country. It would be nice if every city would prioritize Black developers for city projects taking into account the inequality and oppression Black Americans have dealt with for the last 400 years.

The focus on Black developers in DC could be a model for other cities. For instance, this massive mixed-use Hill East project near RFK in DC has 19 Black people between the development team, development partners, and design team. Even the attorneys are Black.

Huge Mixed-use Hill East Project Led By Black Development Team in DC

This project is in Ward 7, but it is across the Anacostia River basically in Capitol Hill so it doesn't really impact neighborhoods east of the river any more than Navy Yard and H Street projects, so it is not really part of our neighborhoods east of the river.

When I cross the Anacostia River, it feel the same as crossing the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan to me. It is part of the city, just like Manhattan "The City" is in the same city as Brooklyn, but it feels like a different place due to the river. I think as Ward 7 and Ward 8 continue to develop with all the projects moving forward, it will have the same dichotomy as Manhattan and Brooklyn. To be honest, for house gatherings, most of my friends live in Ward 7 and Ward 8. The rest live in Prince George's County. I have less than 5 friends that live east of the river. It almost feels like a different city when I visit them.

Does it feel like that for people in Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan in Boston when going north to other parts of Boston?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-08-2022 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-08-2022, 09:42 AM

13,732 posts, read 15,795,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
He's trying to get this built in NYC: https://www.archilovers.com/projects...ion-tower.html

https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2022/...its-roadblock/

If any of you have time, this is a very interesting interview about this project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-sOhz-jf2U
I read about this in the past. Very exciting!

Old 04-08-2022, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 4,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
A young African American family may move to your city if they can find the right fit. They require the following in a neighborhood:

1. Neighborhood must be in city proper with urban walkable built environment
2. Predominately African American population in the neighborhood
3. African American owned businesses/restaurants within walking distance to their home
4. Public transportation within walking distance
5. Walking distance to parks and trails from their home
6. House with a yard for the kids to play
7. African American local political power (sitting councilman for neighborhood)

What neighborhood would you recommend in your city and what makes it the best choice based on their criteria?
1. Jackson Ward neighborhood ---> Richmond, VA.
2. Mostly black in the community
3. Favorite spot to stop by to eat whenever I'm in Richmond is Mama J's restaurant and I believed there's a Jamaican restaurant up the street from there.
4. Mostly buses in Richmond.
5. Yes.
6. Rowhouses from what I seen and they are similar to Baltimore/DC rowhouses.
7. Honestly I don't know.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:06 PM

14,234 posts, read 9,123,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
My sister participated in the Penn Relays so definitely I have found memories of that. Jamaicans absolutely treat it as almost a holiday. Track and field is arguably the most popular sport in Jamaica and some will even fly in from Jamaica or drive from other parts of the country to attend.

Philly's and Jersey(where I grew up)'s black populations are majority AA but the Caribbean populations (English speaking at least) are pretty well intertwined with the larger AA populations so that colors my experience. The amount of half AA/half Caribbean folks or AA/Caribbean couples (including myself) highlights how close the communities are. It is also fairly common to find AA folks with a Caribbean grandparent in Jersey. I met a lot in college.
Maybe to add another data point to your collection:

My boyfriend grew up in, first Queens, then Lancaster County (Adamstown, to be specific), but his family hails from Trinidad and Tobago. His father is a star soccer player who played for several seasons in the North American Soccer League (and told me he remembered playing the Kansas City Spurs in that league's last years, when the Spurs played their games at my high school's football stadium) and also played for the Trinidadian national team.

I did say to him when I met him at a hospital in Ephrata where my bf's brother was passing away, "This is the last place in Pennsylvania where I would expect to find Black people." He explained that his wife's employer moved its operations from the New York area to Lancaster County, and they moved along with the employer.

But I credit my bf with turning me on to just how cool a city Lancaster is.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:23 PM

14,234 posts, read 9,123,018 times
Quote:
Lol I am 0% West Indian.

I understand you’re talking about a culture in Boston you aren’t familiar with, that’s fine I just am trying to explain the perspective is a bit different. I literally grew up eating West Indian and AA.l food due to the friends of the women in my life. My mother was born in North Carolina and makes me Dominican empanadas, we also eat black eyed peas and hog maws. I can’t really get you to believe it it seems. Just because you’re interacting or associating black culture one way doesn’t mean that’s how we do it where I am from.

We literally eat multiple West Indian dishes at my family gatherings- on top of our own AA dishes. That’s how it is-nothing more I can speak to that.

It’s not about me seeing West Indian culture as my own but it’s bad it a broader BOSTON black culture that me and UE were tryin to explain in another thread. It’s a fusion/blending of the cultures and the normalcy of interacting with Black folks fo other ethnicities. It’s just a very very different landscape than DC where there are a lot to West Indians (mostly in the suburbs) but not any more than Boston- so the black culture is more AA vs other whereas ours is much much more pluralistic…
Your viewing things having lived as the undisputed dominant balck cultural force in all strand. I am not. It’s a matter of perspective and expectations.

it was normal for me to eat doubles or Jamaican beef Pattie’s they sold at the train station it was normal for me to take people to the Pit Stop BBQ or for me to go to Lennys Bakery.

^When you are birthed into that environment it is what seem normal to you. All this distinction/tension in between black groups stuff I didn’t even hear about till after college (because I went to college in CT).

If I wanted a black American restaurant I would just say soul food. But honestly I like other cuisine better than I like soul food which is generally more expensive, heavier and doesn’t deliver. I really only eat it at home.

As far as events I mean.. idk the Silk RnB party wasn’t a West Indian party it was black RnB but it had DJs I know to be Cape a Verdean from Providence and at least partially African. But like all the various rap concerts etc. it’s just like a mix. With more Carribean parties I think- which is fine for me because that’s just the music I grew up partying too. I love love love rap but I don’t dance to all that drill music and drug money music that scares the women away lol. It’s a time and a place.

I ran at Penn Relays - 4x100. Team Jamaica Bickel was huge and omnipresent lol. For some reason I remember seeing them at New Balance Nationals too
First off, congrats on your Penn Relays star turn. How did you do? And did you go up against Team Jamaica Bickel?

Second, count me in as a fan of Jamaican beef and chicken patties too — if I had to describe them to a white foodie, I'd probably call them "Jamaican empñadas" so they'd have something they know that they could relate them to, but they're really only superficially like empañadas. There's a ghetto-fabulous fried chicken place on the corner where I catch the buses that sells them, and for a while, Golden Krust Bakery, the Queens-based company that puts Jamaican patties in your supermarket frozen-food section, had a store in a former White Castle at Broad and Olney.

Doubles I haven't taken to quite yet — they seem heavy on the potatoes. But I did have some with my bf at a Trini restaurant in Hamilton Township, NJ, a Trenton suburb that's also home to J. Seward Johnson's sculpture garden.

Old 04-09-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
First off, congrats on your Penn Relays star turn. How did you do? And did you go up against Team Jamaica Bickel?

Second, count me in as a fan of Jamaican beef and chicken patties too — if I had to describe them to a white foodie, I'd probably call them "Jamaican empñadas" so they'd have something they know that they could relate them to, but they're really only superficially like empañadas. There's a ghetto-fabulous fried chicken place on the corner where I catch the buses that sells them, and for a while, Golden Krust Bakery, the Queens-based company that puts Jamaican patties in your supermarket frozen-food section, had a store in a former White Castle at Broad and Olney.

Doubles I haven't taken to quite yet — they seem heavy on the potatoes. But I did have some with my bf at a Trini restaurant in Hamilton Township, NJ, a Trenton suburb that's also home to J. Seward Johnson's sculpture garden.
We didn't run well; we ran like a 43.14. We weren't in a heat with the Jamaican HS boys who were running like 40.5 or something lol.

Yea Haitian Patties are lowkey even better- more flaky and buttery, In Mattapan Square Golden Krust and Le Foyer (Haitian bakery) are a few hundred feet from one another. Im at Le Foyer more often because the Haitian patties are only $1-$1.50..alf the price of a Jamaican pattie, because they are smaller and have more bread than meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.