Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 10:36 AM

21,727 posts, read 12,866,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It would take 30 minutes for the police to respond if DC only had 2,715 police officers. Way too many calls for such a small police force. We are having issues now with response time with 3,600 officers.

We also have a much higher crime rate than Boston though. I think most cities that are almost completely White have smaller police forces. We can thank generational oppression of Black people over the last 400 years for that.
DC feels awash in the police it has way more officers than even Baltimore at 25000. Boston isn't almost completely white it just has a lot less crime. Always has.

And Boston doesn't have 2715 police officers, it has 2,015. It's small in part due to state police covering bits of the city. There used to be a metropolitan Police too..no more. DC with its 3600 police + other agencies, has soo many cops. It's pretty wild and very noticeable in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 10:40 AM

13,733 posts, read 15,799,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC feels awash in the police it has way more officers than even Baltimore at 25000. Boston isn't almost completely white it just has a lot less crime. Always has.

And Boston doesn't have 2715 police officers, it has 2,015. It's small in part due to state police covering bits of the city. There used to be a metropolitan Police too..no more. DC with its 3600 police + other agencies, has soo many cops. It's pretty wild and very noticeable in the city.
If there are too many, why are response times down? You should look at the police calls to make that determination. Having tons of experience in Baltimore city and owning homes there, I can tell you from personal experience that you can call 911 in Baltimore city and the police may not even show up. I have had that experience. They just don't have the money to deal with the calls for police help in that city.

As for Boston, you can't compare Boston to a city like DC. Boston is very much so a White metro area to be honest. The DC/Baltimore CSA has the second most Black people behind NYC in the entire country at over 2.5 million Black people. The issues this area deals with are on a completely different level than Boston. If every Black person in the state of Massachusetts (318,000 Black people) moved to Atlanta, the Atlanta area would still not have as many Black people as the DC/Baltimore CSA.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-11-2022 at 10:55 AM..

Old 04-11-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
If there are too many, why are response times down? You should look at the police calls to make that determination. Having tons of experience in Baltimore city and owning homes there, I can tell you from personal experience that you can call 911 in Baltimore city and the police may not even show up. I have had that experience. They just don't have the money to deal with the calls for police help in that city.

As for Boston, you can't compare Boston to a city like DC. Boston is very much so a White metro area to be honest. The DC/Baltimore CSA has the second most Black people behind NYC in the entire country at over 2.5 million Black people. The issues this area deals with are on a completely different level than Boston. If every Black person in the state of Massuchusetts (318,000 Black people) moved to Atlanta, the Atlanta area would still not have as many Black people as the DC/Baltimore CSA.
I just said I dont like the feel of that many police DC, PG its too much. Philly doesn't feel that way. Albeit, it still has a lot of police per capita. DC needs the police presence because it's the nation's capital I get it. But how many police were they putting at this carnival?? How many more than 400? And also, what did DC spend $21M on this Carnival for? Seems like a waste of money really-that's too much for one day.

hahaha come on man... you know enough about Boston by now to know that you're wrong here.

There is a bare minimum of 499,000 Black people in Massachusetts, non-mixed non-Hispanic. There are more black people than 318,000 in just the Boston area (364,000 black non-mixed, non-Hispanic). Indeed we had more black people than that in 2000 (when we had 343,000 non-mixed, nonhispanic). Massachusetts has 500-700k black people. But then again, only ~170k live in Boston. Where the Bosotn police Police. That leaves Boston at about 24% Black. Double the national average.

But also the Boston Police only police Boston, not 'the metro area'... Boston is 45% white, DC is 39% white. It's very comparable in that respect. At least get your numbers straight. You can't 1)talk about Boston police, then reference the metro area, most of which 8*% of which it doesn't police 2) then get the number wrong of black people in the state wrong.

The Cleveland and St. Louis metro area is much whiter than the Boston metro area- but would you call Cleveland a city that's almost completely white? Of course not. Even at 66% white that is not almost completely white for a metro area... DC is just a very very black metro and exceptionally diverse as a metro. You say so yourself. It's more the outlier than Boston is. The Median black % for a state is in MA. The average Big City (proper) is about as black as Boston or a little less.

How are we talking about Carnival that no longer exists-at length and Boston police policing southern New Hampshire. No one would argue DC has the same black culture as Boston nor would they argue Carribean culture is as essential to its identity. So yes, there really is no comparison.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-11-2022 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-11-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I just said I dont like the feel of that many police DC, PG its too much. Philly doesn't feel that way. Albeit, it still has a lot of police per capita. DC needs the police presence because it's the nation's capital I get it. But how many police were they putting at this carnival?? How many more than 400? And also, what did DC spend $21M on this Carnival for? Seems like a waste of money really-that's too much for one day.

hahaha come on man... you know enough about Boston by now to know that you're wrong here.

There is a bare minimum of 499,000 Black people in Massachusetts, non-mixed non-Hispanic. There are more black people than 318,000 in just the Boston area (364,000 black non-mixed, non-Hispanic). Indeed we had more black people than that in 2000 (when we had 343,000 non-mixed, nonhispanic). Massachusetts has 500-700k black people. But then again, only ~170k live in Boston. Where the Bosotn police Police. That leaves Boston at about 24% Black. Double the national average.

But also the Boston Police only police Boston, not 'the metro area'... Boston is 45% white, DC is 39% white. It's very comparable in that respect. At least get your numbers straight. You can't 1)talk about Boston police, then reference the metro area, most of which 8*% of which it doesn't police 2) then get the number wrong of black people in the state wrong.

The Cleveland and St. Louis metro area is much whiter than the Boston metro area- but would you call Cleveland a city that's almost completely white? Of course not. Even at 66% white that is not almost completely white for a metro area... DC is just a very very black metro and exceptionally diverse as a metro. You say so yourself. It's more the outlier than Boston is. The Median black % for a state is in MA. The average Big City (proper) is about as black as Boston or a little less.

How are we talking about Carnival that no longer exists-at length and Boston police policing southern New Hampshire. No one would argue DC has the same black culture as Boston nor would they argue Carribean culture is as essential to its identity. So yes, there really is no comparison.
Didn’t the 2020 census put Massachusetts at 318,000 Black people? Also, my Boston to DC comparison was related to why the crime rate is higher. The high population of West Indian immigrants for Boston compared to DC is also the reason Boston has a lower crime rate. Immigrants from the West Indies don’t commit crime at the same rate as American Black people who have lived through generations of oppression.

Keep in mind, the Black people from Prince George’s county come into DC and commit crimes just as DC Black people go to PG and commit crimes. The metro areas just function different. That’s why both jurisdictions have such large police forces.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-11-2022 at 11:20 AM..

Old 04-11-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Didn’t the 2020 census put Massachusetts at 318,000 Black people?
No. Massachusetts has had more black people than that for 25+ years. At minimum.

https://blackdemographics.com/states/massachusetts/

According to the 2017 Census Bureau, the state of Massachusetts has the 21st largest Black population in the United States, with 697,266 African Americans making up 10% of the state total.

2020 Census will give you about that many for Black including Hispanic and mixed race.

Without that, it was about 499,600.

The Boston Metro, at its most inclusive definition, is 10.3% Black.

Heres a more middling figure from 2018, 543k: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

But also, just to always reiterate 1/3rd of the black people in MA don't even live in the Boston MSA's large boundaries. Using MA as a stand-in for Boston isn't accurate and really shouldn't be common practice. Very different black communities in southern Bristol County, the Cape and the Islands, Springfield, Worcester and Pittsfield. Certainly not the same as Boston...

And the Demographics of MA compared to Boston itself are massively different of course.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:23 AM

Yea, that's true about West Indians (although this is a West Indian parade, and this particular event does seem to be more crim prone in Boston than DC), but this doesn't seem related to the parade thing that much.

There is more of a police presence in the DC parade; I don't think it's significantly beyond that statement though. It's only tangentially related to the discussion of DC Carnival organizers owing money, or the political/cultural climate of West Indian prominence/importance to the respective black communities.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
No. Massachusetts has had more black people than that for 25+ years. At minimum.

https://blackdemographics.com/states/massachusetts/

According to the 2017 Census Bureau, the state of Massachusetts has the 21st largest Black population in the United States, with 697,266 African Americans making up 10% of the state total.

2020 Census will give you about that many for Black including Hispanic and mixed race.

Without that, it was about 499,600.

The Boston Metro, at its most inclusive definition, is 10.3% Black.

Heres a more middling figure from 2018, 543k: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Those are the estimates. Unfortunately, all estimates moving forward will use the hard count. I’m sure DC/Baltimore has more than 2.5 million Black people just as Massachusetts probably has more than 318,000 Black, non-Hispanic Black people. I wasn’t counting Black hispanic people when I made that reference. They align with Latino culture more than Black American culture.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Those are the estimates. Unfortunately, all estimates moving forward will use the hard count. I’m sure DC/Baltimore has more than 2.5 million Black people just as Massachusetts probably has more than 318,000 Black, non-Hispanic Black people. I wasn’t counting Black hispanic people when I made that reference.
No, the census put it at 499,000 non-Hispanic, non-mixed race black people. That was not an estimate, that was a hard count.

Even the 2000 Census put it at 343,000 non-Hispanic, non-mixed race black people. That was not an estimate, that was a hard count.

We can be accurate with the numbers. I don't know where you got "318,000" from. That number is made up, not even ballpark.

The point stand DC has way more black people in the metro but the cities are a similar percentage of white, so you can't really say the City of Boston's Police force is smaller due to it being almost completely white when it's not far from DC and isn't even mostly white.

Even on a metro level- take out 2 new Hampshire counties and Boston's MSA is 64.1% white, compared to 63.9% white in Detroit or 59.1% in Philly... the difference is it's very not black compared to those two areas. But that's not white per se.

The point you make about West Indians is way more valid. There are also more than 2x as many Asians in Boston compared to DC. And many more Hispanics as well.

DC is way more the exception to the norm than Boston is in terms of # of black residents. That's for certain.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
No, the census put it at 499,000 non-Hispanic, non-mixed race black people. That was not an estimate, that was a hard count.

Even the 2000 Census put it at 343,000 non-Hispanic, non-mixed race black people. That was not an estimate, that was a hard count.

We can be accurate with the numbers. I don't know where you got "318,000" from. That number is made up, not even ballpark.

The point stand DC has way more black people in the metro but the cities are a similar percentage of white, so you can't really say the City of Boston's Police force is smaller due to it being almost completely white when it's not far from DC and isn't even mostly white.

Even on a metro level- take out 2 new Hampshire counties and Boston's MSA is 64.1% white, compared to 63.9% white in Detroit or 59.1% in Philly... the difference is it's very not black compared to those two areas. But that's not white per se.

The point you make about West Indians is way more valid. There are also more than 2x as many Asians in Boston compared to DC. And many more Hispanics as well.

DC is way more the exception to the norm than Boston is in terms of # of black residents. That's for certain.
You are correct, that was from 2000. It was 457,000. I did a quick glance of this and misread the year.

Census shows decline in Hub Blacks

Again, the police force in DC has to police the Black people living in DC and the Black people coming into DC every day. You can't compare Boston and DC in that respect and the fact that many Black people in Boston aren't even culturally the type of Black people I'm referring to makes it even more of a divide between the two cities. West Indian people just aren't integrated into Black American culture in places like DC, Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. The Black American crime rate in those cities is impacted by that.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-11-2022 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-11-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You are correct, that was from 2000. It was 457,000. I did a quick glance of this and misread the year.

Census shows decline in Hub Blacks
Oh I can't find census numbers to match the Banners it gave me 7% black and 2.5% black mixed race https://www.census.gov/library/stori...us-decade.html

It also says Boston peaked at 23.8% black in 1990 and 2000 but the number I've always seen referenced was 24.4% for 2000 and 23.8% in 1990... excluding hispanic

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...0-b2fbedc5ddd8 <-- this is census data from the Boston city website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.