Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 08:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
it is not the same as living in USA and being American, which is not a desirable thing to Canadians.
Except more Canadians immigrate to the US than the other way around. Canada's low wage/awful weather/high housing cost/inferiority complex/PITA-French-who-don't-want-to-be-Canadian doesn't offer much to people who want to live in a real country.

So grateful to be an American, sorry you missed out.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:49 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,430,503 times
I think what you mentioned with parts of upstate New York becoming semi-officially part of the Golden Horseshoe and the bit of Washington state close to the border and near Vancouver are possible in the future, but there's nnot much from then on out as the other major Canadian cities and their suburbs / exurbs are either not all that close to the border yet (like Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton), are the more minor / smaller city (Windsor to Detroit), or are strongly French-Canadian (Montreal) and have significant differences.

I do think getting that Golden Horseshoe would be sweet. I understand that there's been some general acknowledgment that some kind of pre-clearance system for rail routes crossing the border is supported by both countries, but they'd need to work out those kinds. I think that would play a pretty large part in stronger economic integration between the two and a frequent and fast "Horseshoe" or "Golden Horseshoe" train service going from Rochester to Oshawa via Buffalo, Hamilton, and Toronto would be pretty fantastic.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:49 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times
The reason Canadian cities grow is they attract immigrants who can't get into the US. Additionally, they don't have to compete with warm weather cities elsewhere. Rochester, Buffalo etc lose people to Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc. While many people from Toronto move to warm parts of the US, not as many do as would be possible if they didn't have to deal with immigration.

NY State and Michigan aren't going to benefit much from any of this even if it occurs right across the border. In Michigan's case, it's also good to remember that Metro Windsor is 1/10th the size of Metro Detroit. And in terms of the impact on WA state, metro Vancouver BC is about the same size as metro Portland on its other border. Smaller cities get noticed in Canada because it's a much smaller country.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:35 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Jeebus. I just looked up mortgage as a percentage of income. Over 60% in Toronto and Vancouver is perhaps the most insane thing I’ve ever seen. Honolulu, NYC, and California are the only places in the high 30% here in the US. The old rule is pay no more than 28%.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:58 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,424,467 times
Vancouver makes Seattle look super affordable. I have family up there and let me tell you it's no fun paying higher than Seattle home prices on half the income and 40% more taxes for the same job.

Canada has a real affordability problem that is way worse than the US.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:01 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
This thread has gone off topic and has become fodder for certain returning trolls. Time to shut it down.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.