Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 08:23 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Like Providence is a whiter city than St Louis, Rochester and Buffalo but the gap between it and it’s suburbs is smaller
No it is not. Providence is less white than all of those cities.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045221

Also, how does Providence not sprawl if it's 18 square miles but the MSA is the entire State plus a county in MA??

The sprawl he was talking about was in the suburbs, not the city. St Louis doesnt sprawl-its abandoned otherwise it would be structurally dense. St. Louis at peak poulation had 860k people. It was nearly as dense as Boston. No one would tell you St. Louis city sprawls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 08:57 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No it is not. Providence is less white than any of those cities..

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045221

Also, how does Providence not sprawl if it's 18 square miles but the MSA is the entire State plus a county in MA??
Providence has a much larger part of its population in its core. Yeah like Jamestown or Narragansett is in the metro but nobody lives there . Cincinnati has 309,000 people in 77.7 sq miles, Sg Louis 300,000 in 61 sq miles, In just 34 sq miles Providence has 323,000 people. It’s clearly less sprawly considering the metro is also smaller.

And I’m sorry I messed up didn’t realize the last demographics on Wikipedia were from 2010.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:12 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Providence has a much larger part of its population in its core. Yeah like Jamestown or Narragansett is in the metro but nobody lives there . Cincinnati has 309,000 people in 77.7 sq miles, Sg Louis 300,000 in 61 sq miles, In just 34 sq miles Providence has 323,000 people. It’s clearly less sprawly considering the metro is also smaller.

And I’m sorry I messed up didn’t realize the last demographics on Wikipedia were from 2010.
I would say for the exact reasons you said about Jamestown and Narranganset that makes it just as sprawly. People do indeed live there. The Providence MSA really shouldn't include Newport or Washington counties. And the Boston MSA shouldn't include Strafford County NH. Much of Northwestern Middlesex county is only included because Middlesex County is ridiculously large. IRL Ashby Pepperell Ayer Townsend and Shirley arent really "the Boston Area".

The same could be said for Hartford and Boston about some of these far-flung towns that really have no lifestyle or structural bonds to the central city... albeit it's more extreme in Hartford. I think the sprawl is more consistent in the midwest but the MSAs of New England cities contain a lot of fluff especially considering some of the satellite cities within the MSA of Boston or Providence might have their own MSA if they were in the midwest.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:29 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Count me as one of the many surprised that St. Louis is in the top 10, especially since East St. Louis is one of the blackest cities in the whole country.
I don't think people realize how little East St. Louis is these days. It's home to 18,469 people as of the last census. It's not even one of the top five largest cities in the Metro East (St. Louis' Illinois suburbs).

Old 01-14-2022, 02:06 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The sprawl he was talking about was in the suburbs, not the city. St Louis doesnt sprawl-its abandoned otherwise it would be structurally dense. St. Louis at peak poulation had 860k people. It was nearly as dense as Boston. No one would tell you St. Louis city sprawls.
New Bedford isn't "Providence sprawl". It's a flaw in the census that they use vestigial, outdated county definitions to define their metro areas..

Old 01-14-2022, 02:10 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
New Bedford isn't "Providence sprawl". It's a flaw in the census that they use vestigial, outdated county definitions to define their metro areas..
I think he meant Cranston and Warwick which look straight up like NJ urban sprawl like Edison or Woodbridge.

New Bedford isnt sprawl.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:13 PM

313 posts, read 160,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s looking at metro areas though. Look at Milpitas (where I grew up) and Fremont (where I was born), right next to SJ and you get a ton of non-whites.

Also, it still irks me that the Bay Area is split into two metros...when it’s functionally a single unit. It wastes space on lists like this, too.
True

Old 05-18-2022, 06:21 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I am someone who is fascinated by all kinds of statistics on places, so I will probably start posting top ten lists in all sorts of categories (via research on the census bureau website). First off, I'm putting up the whitest (non-hispanic) metropolitan areas in the US and the least white. Only metropolitan areas with a population of over 1,000,000 are included. This is metropolitan statistical area, NOT city. Feel free to comment on the list and speculate on where your MSA would be. Btw, this is not meant to be offensive in any way.

Whitest Metropolitan Areas in America:
1. Pittsburgh, PA
2. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN
3. Grand Rapids-Kentwood, MI
4. Buffalo-Cheektowaga, NY
5. Rochester, NY
6. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
7. Providence-Warwick, RI-MA
8. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN
9. St. Louis, MO-IL
10. Columbus, OH

Least White Metropolitan Areas in America:
1. Urban Honolulu, HI
2. Fresno, CA
3. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA
4. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
5. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL
6. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
7. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX
8. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX
9. San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA
10. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV

Source: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/all?q...PL%2094-171%29

How ironic that Buffalo and Rochester the city have strong black population percentages

Old 05-18-2022, 07:57 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
How ironic that Buffalo and Rochester the city have strong black population percentages
Ironic? Not sure that's the right word for it. But, fairly common in the top 10. Cincinnati and St. Louis are even a higher percentage than Buffalo or Rochester. Just goes to show how concentrated the black population is in the city versus metro.

1. Pittsburgh, PA - 22.8% city/8% metro
2. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN - 40.6% city/12% metro
3. Grand Rapids-Kentwood, MI - 18.9%/6% metro
4. Buffalo-Cheektowaga, NY - 36.9% city/12% metro
5. Rochester, NY - 40.1% city/11% metro
6. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI - 19.1% city/8% metro
7. Providence-Warwick, RI-MA - 13.5% city/5% metro
8. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN - 32.9% city/15% metro
9. St. Louis, MO-IL - 43% city/18% metro
10. Columbus, OH - 28.6% city/15% metro

Last edited by RocketSci; 05-18-2022 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-18-2022, 08:16 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Ironic? Not sure that's the right word for it. But, fairly common in the top 10. Cincinnati and St. Louis are even a higher percentage than Buffalo or Rochester. Just goes to show how concentrated the black population is in the city versus metro.

1. Pittsburgh, PA - 22.8%
2. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN - 40.6%
3. Grand Rapids-Kentwood, MI - 18.9%
4. Buffalo-Cheektowaga, NY - 36.9%
5. Rochester, NY - 40.1%
6. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI - 19.1%
7. Providence-Warwick, RI-MA - 13.5%
8. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN - 32.9%
9. St. Louis, MO-IL - 43%
10. Columbus, OH - 28.6%
Also Most white does not mean least black. Rochester and Buffalo (and most of the Rustbelt) rank high because of low levels of Hispanics and Asians

Like Monroe County NY is 15.7% Black and Erie County is 14.1% Black. That is much Blacker than Los Angeles or King County (Seattle) but Monroe County is also almost 70% white and Erie county is 72% White. . Those west coast counties are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.