Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 10:39 PM

12,192 posts, read 8,062,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Occasional delays, but frequent service on the Northeast Corridor. Today I woke up in Philadelphia and had to come to New York. I didn't even look at the train schedule before I went to 30th Street Station. When I got off the Philly subway at 30th, I launched the Amtrak app, bought a ticket for the next train, and waited maybe 12 minutes until its departure time. It's an hour and 20 minute ride from PHL-NYC.

It's expensive for commuting, especially more than 1-2 times a week, but not bad if your home is near the station on the home end and the office is near the station on the other end.
My condo overlooks the NEC (in nj) so i see all the amtrak trains pass through New Brunswick lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 11:05 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,355,885 times
No one has yet mentioned Section 403(b) of the legislation which estabished Amtrak some 50 years ago. Under this law, states may establish their own service, with supplemental Federal funding. States such as California, New York, Illinois. North Carolina and Pennsylvania operate Secton 403(b) services; Texas, Georgia and Florida do not. Many thinly-settled "red" states have only one schediled service, often cut back from daily to four times weekly since the emergence of the COVID pandemic, and serving those states (Nebraska and Kansas are examples) only in the dead of night.

The cost of expanding these services to the levels offered in the 1950s would simply be too great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.