Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 09:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times

Advertisements

Check out cities that will pay you to move there as a remote worker. Morgantown, VA will pay up to $20,000. Find out what John Denver was making such a fuss about. Tulsa, which may be too big for you will pay $10,000.

https://www.makemymove.com/get-paid/...-west-virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 09:05 AM

185 posts, read 461,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Check out cities that will pay you to move there as a remote worker. Morgantown, VA will pay up to $20,000. Find out what John Denver was making such a fuss about. Tulsa, which may be too big for you will pay $10,000.

https://www.makemymove.com/get-paid/...-west-virginia
I totally forgot this existed, and there are a few places on there that I'm interested in!! Thanks for posting

Juneau, AK isn't offering a ton, but the state was already on my list of possibilities.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 8,309 times
Default Eau Claire, WI

Hello!

I'll share a post I had from this summer comparing Colorado and Wisconsin.

My hometown of Eau Claire, Wisconsin matches a lot of the things you're looking for. I frequent the Front Range area of Colorado multiple times a year so I can probably give a good comparison.

Every time I come out to Colorado I'm shocked by how brown and gray it is. I've been there several times in the last two years and could only see the mountains clearly 2 days of the 15. The rest of the days, pollution and wildfire smoke blocked that view unfortunately.

While the hills here cannot compare to mountains, they are very green and scenic, even in this dry summer. This area is not flat like people think most of the Midwest is. I can go hiking on a trail half a mile from my house rather than drive an hour just to get into real nature, as my Colorado relatives have to do. There is also a lot more water here. Downtown Eau Claire lies at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers, both of which blow the Poudre and South Platte out of the water. The whole downtown area has come alive in the last 10 years with breweries, apartments, businesses, new pedestrian bridges, and a performing arts center. There are also bike trails along both rivers that go across town. While not as vibrant as downtown FoCo, it has a lot of upward momentum. The city is home to several music festivals and calls itself "The Music Capital of the North".

Eau Claire is around 70,000 people and the surrounding area is around 150,000 people. This is the perfect size for offering mostly anything someone would need. Minneapolis-St. Paul is also only 70 miles away for day trips or concerts. This area leans somewhat left as it's a college town, but not nearly to the extent of Boulder. More just a live and let live culture, which definitely feels more purple than both rural and urban areas. Plus people here are much friendlier and love striking up conversations with strangers. To boot, my family's three bedroom home has a mortgage about half the cost of my cousin's rent for a one-bedroom in the Denver suburbs. Also, I like the older neighborhoods with huge mature trees here, which are much more architecturally interesting than the cookie cutter earth tones on treeless tiny plots all over Colorado.

If you can handle more of a real winter, I'd highly recommend Eau Claire. Getting outside, finding hobbies, and travelling when possible are the best ways to thrive in winter. The summers and falls are absolutely gorgeous! There are plenty of outdoor activities year round. I also really enjoy camping and hiking at state parks in the area and visiting all the waterfalls along the Lake Superior shore in Minnesota, about a three hour drive north. South of Eau Claire is a very hilly region called the Driftless Area (often compared to New England), and to the north lies the pine forests of the Northwoods. So much to enjoy about this area!

Eau Claire has gotten some national recognition lately as well:

https://livability.com/topics/love-w...oul-searchers/

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...m=social-media

https://www.outsideonline.com/advent...st-towns-2015/

Last edited by joethegardentool; 01-12-2022 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,744,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Bellingham, WA? City's just under 100K, the metropolitan area about 230K. General Pacific Northwest climate which brings with it a lot of trees and is in between Seattle and Vancouver so that's easy for you to visit if you ever feel like it (even by train!).
I'll toss in a vote for Bellingham. Such a pretty place. It's a couple hours from me and I've been there a couple times. I often think about moving there myself.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:47 PM

37,238 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I'll toss in a vote for Bellingham. Such a pretty place. It's a couple hours from me and I've been there a couple times. I often think about moving there myself.

Yep, and there's even a seasonal ferry to Victoria, BC which I find to be a very pleasant small city. The Pacific Northwest is pretty sweet as it feels like there are a lot of interesting cities and towns across a gamut of sizes and meanwhile close to mountains, oceans, lakes, and rivers.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:32 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
I checked the thread I posted to make sure, but in terms of NY State, Utica(city proper of about 65,000, metro of about 300,000) and Binghamton(city proper of about 48,000 and metro of about 250,000) both come to mind in terms of the artsy things, running club, little suburban sprawl, easy access to forests/mountains, low overall cost of living and even the weather criteria.

Utica: https://www.newyorkmeetings.com/wp-c...-Club-Sign.jpg

Binghamton: https://www.binghamton-ny.gov/home/s...04655219970000

Old 01-12-2022, 03:52 PM

23 posts, read 14,681 times
Thanks everyone for all the great responses! I feel like I've tried to figure this out before, and including the low metro area criteria seems to be very helpful for narrowing it down a bit.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:00 AM

356 posts, read 704,674 times
Nevada City, California would be a great fit for you!

Nevada City (pop. @3,000) and neighboring Grass Valley (pop. @20,000) are small, artsy, funky Gold Rush towns in the Sierra foothills. We have community theater, musicals, standup, poetry/short story readings (Off Broad Street Theatre, Nevada Theatre, Miners Foundry Cultural Center, Sierra Stages, Center for the Arts to name a few venues), live music, plus great local restaurants, wine bars, breweries, cafés, yoga studios, organic grocery stores, etc.

The two towns are surrounded by beautiful pine and oak forests, with tons of nearby hiking, mountain biking, and water recreation. You can hike the beautiful Tribute Trail from downtown Nevada City, miles of canal trails, paths that overlook the Yuba River, or the many trails in the Sierras. Sacramento, Truckee, and Lake Tahoe are a little over an hour's drive away. People are very friendly, open, and into nature.

Winters are mild -- usually just a few minor snowfalls, although we just got hit with a rare whopper of a storm. Summers are sunny and dry and can be hot temp-wise, but keep in mind that due to the low humidity, temps in the 90s are far more comfortable here - plus we have plenty of shade, and you can always go up into the mountains Smoke from forest fires has been a recent issue, but that is happening all over the West. We are having a wet winter so far so fingers crossed that this summer/fall won't be as bad.

I used to live in Portland, Maine. I loved the vibe there, and it's one of my favorite places I've ever lived. But the winters can be tiring.

Lots of great suggestions here. Good luck!

Last edited by la_cavalière; 01-13-2022 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-13-2022, 02:06 PM

8,507 posts, read 8,828,017 times
Walla Walla WA might work.

Baker City OR even more of a stretch but you might have interest in talking to / visiting with these pioneering arts / community building folk: http://churchillbaker.com/index.html

Corvallis is more the size you want than Eugene. Could live in Philomath.

Possibly Hood River.

Spearfish SD is another possibility. Some young folk trying to build art / music scene up a step or two.

Outside Missoula would be pretty much what you want already built up.

Morgantown WV is a pretty good option for east. Boone NC is another option. Athens GA might be too big but could pick a smaller town within reach of it. Same with Blacksburg VA.

I dunno it personally but I hear good things about Eau Claire. And other Minneapolis satellites like Northfield MN.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-13-2022 at 02:43 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 03:56 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,119,792 times
Spearfish, SD is very nice. Missoula, MT too. Both will likely have longer and colder winters than you are looking for, as will most of SD, MT or WY were the trees are. Baker City, OR is small at <10K population, but does have a bit of an arts scene, but not many trees around the town proper. They are up the hills/mountains to the west, but the slopes are steep enough not too many people are living up there until you get to the other side of the mountains. Then it's smaller towns. The nearest metro area is Boise with it's western suburbs about 1 1/2 hours away.

North of Boise might be an option. Boise is the "City of Trees" but the immediate foothills and areas south, east and west are desert or agricultural areas, so not thickly forested. Still plenty of hiking and mountain biking. The small town of Eagle which is in the metro area has lots of trees and a cute downtown of its own. Eagle is pretty well treed and is closer to the real forested areas that start a few more minutes north along the Payette River and through the small town of Garden Valley, ID, and outside of Cascade, ID. Then all the way north into Canada. Quirky/artsy requiring bigger money would be Hailey/Ketcham/Sun Valley, ID. If you've got the money then it might be a great place to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.