Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 04:16 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times

Advertisements

For my part of Katy. While most of the immigrants I know migrated pre-2015. The newest group of Immigrants in large numbers in Katy is Venezuelans. Then this is followed by non-Mexican Latin Americans. I’ve been meeting more afresh of the boat Brazilians and Colombians although the Venezuelans are like 70% of the FOB folks I meet here. I of course meet lots of FOB, Nigerians but I’m a member of that community so I don’t really count it.

Most of the Indians in my area aren’t new immigrants (post-2015) but I’ve been seeing more and more Indian population in my area of Fort Bend.

Most of the other immigrant people I’ve met all arrived early 2000s or 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 07:28 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixjohe View Post
What are some common immigrant groups where you live? Namely, the more recent ones that moved to the country in the last 10 years. Aside from the East Coast, you'd likely see a lot of Mexicans. What are some other groups?

Over in Plano, TX, I often see a lot of Indians, then Latin Americans (likely from countries like El Salvador, Colombia, and Venezuela.) Occasionally, I would see some Koreans, Africans, Vietnamese, and Middle Easterns.) Then finally, obviously you've got your Mexicans. I'd be lucky to find any other groups.
Live in DFW too. The most noticeable increases for me are also folks from India. Just yesterday at the gym I was talking to an Indian woman relocated from NYC who said her husband's cousin just bought a house over near Fort Worth, moving from Denver.

Then I find we have had a significant influx of Koreans (west side of Carrollton, in particular, north Irving) and Japanese (not surprising with Toyota North America relocating from California).

Old 01-14-2022, 02:09 PM

16,085 posts, read 10,747,693 times
We mostly have transplants from all over the US. Otherwise, it's a trickle. We have fewer Mexicans than some would think. We have some south Asians. Maybe some South Americans and Central Americans based on the local restaurants. I would not say that we have a huge number of new arrivals from outside the US compared to other times.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:28 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In Baltimore:

Honduran - Southeast Baltimore City
Dominican - Southeast Baltimore City
Bangladeshi (I think?) - Northwest/West Baltimore County
Nigerian (have been around a long time but they're arriving a lot) - Closer to DC
Jamaican (have been around a long time but they're arriving a lot) - West Baltimore

In my hometown that I'm back in often (Southern Boston Neighborhoods/Norfolk and Plymouth County MA):

Kenyan/Ugandan - mostly in the southern edge of Boston- (Hyde Park, Mattapan, Roslindale)
Somalian- mostly in Roxbury and Cambridge
Dominican (have been around a long time but they're arriving a lot) - All over the Boston Area
Cape Verdean (have been around a long time but they're arriving a lot) - South of Boston
I'd add Pakistani people in western Baltimore County.
Korean in Western Baltimore County all the out to Ellicott City
Nepalese people are showing up, but not exactly sure where.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I’m from the South Coast of Massachusetts that is jokingly called West Portugal. There was an enormous amount of immigration from the Azores Islands dating back to the pre-Civil War whaling era. The most recent immigrant wave is Hispanic just like everywhere else. The city of New Bedford shifted from 70% Portuguese to 50/50 Portuguese/Hispanic. Much of the 2nd generation fled to the suburbs.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:35 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Outside of the usual Mexican & Philippine immigrants you see everywhere in the US, our town has had a lot of Haitian growth lately.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:01 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Cedar Rapids (Eastern Iowa). 2015-2019

1. India 15.9% foreign born
2. Mexico 11.9%
3. China 6.2%
4. Vietnam 4.4%
5. Lebanon 3.3%

Most Indians I know work at Rockwell Collins Aviation in town. Lots of Mexican restaurants run by families, many don’t speak English. Refugees that I know are from Ethiopia and the Congo.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:43 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,894 times
Wyoming. We are getting alot of yuppies and tax evaders.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:24 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
SF Bay Area: South Asians, usually Indian; Asians from Philippines, Taiwan & China; Mexicans and Ethiopians.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 AM

111 posts, read 68,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m from the South Coast of Massachusetts that is jokingly called West Portugal. There was an enormous amount of immigration from the Azores Islands dating back to the pre-Civil War whaling era. The most recent immigrant wave is Hispanic just like everywhere else. The city of New Bedford shifted from 70% Portuguese to 50/50 Portuguese/Hispanic. Much of the 2nd generation fled to the suburbs.
Is there tension between the Hispanic community and the Portuguese/Irish/Italian folks in Massachusetts and Rhode Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.