Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 10:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

I am seeing more women wearing a Hijab in NYC. I guess these are the Afghan fugees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 08:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I'm curious how you know their specifically Somali Bantus. because that group is such a small minority within Somalia, and they speak Somali I would be surprised you could find a specific community of them in America.
They were settled in the region as refugees by various nonprofit groups and churches around 2000. Here's a webpage for their local community group.

There used to be a fairly sizable number of them in my old neighborhood in the late 2000s. However, the area gentrified, and they were displaced. Nowadays there's a high concentration now in the housing project of Northview Heights.

Old 01-27-2022, 02:54 PM

422 posts, read 303,408 times
In Beloit while not very recently but for a good amount of years some African immigrant family's kids went to my middle and high school. And also recently while I was working in Amazon before I quit there was some African immigrant folks alongside with a guy with a mop who came to Wisconsin from New York and was a Jamaican immigrant. In my college there was a Indian immigrant and some Jamaican or west African dude in my computer/reading class.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:14 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
I’m a resident of the city of St. Louis, specifically the south side. The largest immigrant groups here are Bosnians, Indians, Vietnamese, Chinese and Latinos. St. Louis has the highest concentration of Bosnians outside of Europe.
In recent years, the city has also welcomed significant populations from South Korea, The Philippines, Kenya and Nigeria.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:15 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Around 28,000 Afghans arrived through Philadelphia after the country fell. Over 11,000 are living on McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst joint military base. Around 700 are now living in Mayfair and Oxford Circle neighborhoods of Philadelphia. With a few dozen more living in South Philly. There's been a lot stories about them in the local media. Certainly the 'newest' group of people around.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:53 AM

121 posts, read 98,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Around 28,000 Afghans arrived through Philadelphia after the country fell. Over 11,000 are living on McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst joint military base. Around 700 are now living in Mayfair and Oxford Circle neighborhoods of Philadelphia. With a few dozen more living in South Philly. There's been a lot stories about them in the local media. Certainly the 'newest' group of people around.
This is absolutely correct. I work directly in refugee resettlement in Philadelphia and over 80% of our case load is currently Afghan refugees. I would say about 3/4th are going to Northeast Philadelphia including neighborhoods such as Mayfair and Oxford circle but all the way up to Bensalem in a few cases. Most of the rest of the 1/4 have been going to South Philly with a few families going to Upper Darby (they have all had existing family connections in UD). Speaking of the military bases most have been cleared and many of the families are in temporary housing as we search for permanent housing for them. There are still Afghans on bases abroad but the NJ base is mostly cleared out at this poitn.

The rest of refugee resettlement in Philadelphia has included a few Iraqi and Syrian families (Northeast) very similar geographic areas as Afghan refugees. Still some Ukrainians coming through and going to the Far Northeast. Pakistani and Burmese have gone to South Philly and Congolese and Ugandan clients have gone to South and Southwest.

Now this does not include other forms of immigration, just the formal refugee process. Philadelphia has seen a very large increase in Central American immigrants which is true in many other cities as well. A large portion have gone to South Philly where there has been a large Mexican community for sometime. Others have gone to Olney where there are existing Colombian, Puerto Rican, and Dominican communities. They have also gone to the Lower Northeast which is a melting pot for the whole world to be honest.

Speaking of the Lower Northeast, the Haitian community up there is growing. There is also a big movement of 1st and 2nd generation Chinese Americans moving from NYC to the Northeast.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Twin cities:

Hmong
Somalian

Atlanta:

Korean
Indian

Old 02-10-2022, 03:00 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Checking in live from S/SW Baltimore City/ North Anne Arundel County/South Baltimore County. Central Americans have begun moving here too. I hadnt commented for sometime because it isn’t like Southeast Baltimore but it’s evident here too in the other side of the harbor an increase from even ~3 years ago. Also some Indians who I think go to UMBc

Old 02-10-2022, 03:05 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
In Houston the ones that seem to be growing the fastest are:

Nigerian
Vietnamese
Venezuelan
Honduran/Salvadoran/Guatemalan

Old 02-11-2022, 09:28 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
The DC area is definitely seeing increases in Central Americans (Salvadorans, Guatemalans), Mexicans, Indians, Chinese, Ethiopians, and Afghans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.