Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will see the most dramatic population increase?
Alaska 7 5.65%
South Dakota 33 26.61%
Montana 57 45.97%
Wyoming 22 17.74%
North Dakota 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 04:10 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Whenever you hear an analogy about something being isolated or desolate, its usually created with one of these five states.

I understand there is a popular show about urbanization in Montana and that it recently passed 1 million population, so I suspect it will be a favorite in this poll.

However, Alaska has sextupled its population since 1950, while Montana hasn't even doubled its population in the same period. The Dakotas seem to be enjoying decent growth and good press these days also. Don't know much about Wyoming other than they saw a recent 14% bump which is impressive.

"Dramatic population increase" - moving into the next state peer group or higher (Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, etc).

Montana: Population 1.1 million, land area 147,000 sq mi

Wyoming: Population 577,000, land area 98,000 sq mi

Alaska: Population 733,000, land area 663,000 sq mi

North Dakota: Population 780,000, land area 71,000 sq mi

South Dakota: Population 887,000, land area 77,000 sq mi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 04:27 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
South Dakota seems the most likely candidate.

With a fast-growing Sioux Falls area, and generally "the better" overall winter season out of these choices, I picked South Dakota.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:49 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
People like the state taxes in Wyoming at least. And there are some scenic recreation areas if wifi is adequate for work from home types.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:59 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
South Dakota seems the most likely candidate.

With a fast-growing Sioux Falls area, and generally "the better" overall winter season out of these choices, I picked South Dakota.
They appear to be running away with the poll but I voted for Alaska.

Its the only one with anything approaching a major city. The air and sea ports, IMO, cancel out its stigma of being isolated/remote.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:16 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I'll go with Montana. Outdoor rec seems to be increasingly important to people over the years, and it's close to some already expensive states (WA, OR, increasingly ID) so it's a natural place for people from there to migrate to.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:03 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
I would agree that Montana's natural recreational assets are likely to generate strong growth in the state in upcoming years. The Bozeman area in particular has become very popular with remotely working professionals.

Alaska has a very high cost of living, long dark winters and is overly dependent on the energy sector. While Wyoming has some of the most exceptional natural wonders in the world (i.e. Yellowstone), the state's key population centers are generally in more desolate surroundings.

The Dakotas have some solidly prosperous cities but aside from the Rapid City/Black Hills region of South Dakota, neither state is going to draw people much for non-economic reasons.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
I'm going to say Alaska. Due to climate change and thinning ice in the arctic, the Northwest Passage could become passable for long periods of time and if this happens, Alaska would become one of the most valuable pieces of US land because of its control over the bottleneck between the Pacific and Arctic. Anchorage also happens to be very centrally located internationally for cargo shipping.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
None of the above have anything to write home about as Idaho, Arizona, and Utah are the leaders in population growth. Alaska has been in recession for a few years now and may just be breaking even in population. But to answer your question I think it would be Wyoming and Montana on a percentage basis. Population and demographics are changing with covid, with increasing working from home. This trend actually started before covid.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:21 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I can see Rapid City being the next Boise albeit on a smaller scale. Montana and Wyoming - I don’t know that there’s much room for growth. The nice/desirable areas are already too expensive to really draw substantially more growth. Cheyenne you would think would have grown more being so close to Denver and on the Front Range. Alaska is great but it’s far too isolated and it has weird migration trends. People don’t tend to stay there for long it seems.

Between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, I think South Dakota has the brightest future.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:22 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
None of the above have anything to write home about as Idaho, Arizona, and Utah are the leaders in population growth. But to answer your question I think it would be Wyoming and Montana on a percentage basis. Population and demographics are changing with covid, increasing working from home. This trend actually started before covid.
I’d say Sioux Falls growing by 25% in the past decade is fairly significant, especially since it’s on the “Midwest” side of SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.