Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 08:27 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Go to El Paso or San Antonio, TX. You can rent or buy an affordable home in a decent area with a backyard (with no roomates), your kids will be able to go to decent public schools, you'll have open air, space to breathe, COL is still affordable, both are family-friendly cities, and good barbers are hugely in demand. If you get trained in doing man-units, you'll be financially set for the rest of your life in TX.

Idk about El Paso but with SA, there are direct flights to Orange County so ya'll can hop on a plane anytime and be there in less than 3 hours to visit family. I would seriously look into these cities. I also suggest leaving your voting habits in CA. TX stays affordable because TX stays red. Good luck.
San Antonio isn't really that cheap anymore, and don't military people and family get their cut for free?
No need to get so specific. Every state has areas with cheap houses with backyards, and people who need their hair cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 11:01 AM

45 posts, read 72,205 times
Not a fan of Texas. Have been there a few times and didn’t enjoy my time there. I was thinking in this order

Washington
Upstate New York
Northern California
Oregon
Vermont
Colorado

Want to be somewhere with no crime and family friendly

Old 01-21-2022, 12:37 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Lower than average crime is possible, mostly in smaller places. No crime is not.

La Grande / Baker City are possibilities if one can accept size / relative isolation. Lower crime.

Might consider Castle Rock CO. Possibly Loveland, Lafayette, Louisville CO.

Walla Walla WA might work for some. Violent crime is average in town, property crime high. Out in county is safer with low violent crime and nearer to average property crime according to reporting. Ellensburg is less crime in city and similarly even less in surrounding county. Suburbs of Seattle? Check Seattle / WA boards if interested.

Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Ukiah CA? Look into them if curious.

All your state choices are among the most expensive on average. Small to middle sized cities might not be as high.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-21-2022 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-21-2022, 03:51 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
Not a fan of Texas. Have been there a few times and didn’t enjoy my time there. I was thinking in this order

Washington
Upstate New York
Northern California
Oregon
Vermont
Colorado

I will never again make suggestions to people seeking to move and this is exactly why.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:52 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
San Antonio isn't really that cheap anymore, and don't military people and family get their cut for free?
No need to get so specific. Every state has areas with cheap houses with backyards, and people who need their hair cut.
I thought I was helping. I won't be making suggestions again.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:01 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:

Washington
Upstate New York
Northern California
Oregon
Vermont
Colorado

Colorado wouldn't be good if you are really into gardening. The growing season is very short.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:31 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
If you don't leave the west coast, you might as well just stay in CA since neighboring states are gradually becoming clones of CA.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:36 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:

Washington
Upstate New York
Northern California
Oregon
Vermont
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I will never again make suggestions to people seeking to move and this is exactly why.
Yeah all those places seem to defeat the purpose. Might as well stay in southern California. *edit* yeah, I'll leave that statement in there even though it was just mentioned. Can't be emphasized enough.
Texas is a hard sell to people who don't like Texas. I totally get that.
Upstate New York would be the only truly affordable option, but there are a lot of far better places than NY that are equally as affordable and much nicer and easier to deal with in pretty much every way imaginable.

Living in the "cheap" parts of most western states? No thanks.
Not being snobbish. I'm all about the cheap (it's why I live where I live), but much of the west is either really nice or it's really not and the really nice is really overpriced.
Low crime, family friendly, affordable, gardening... that's the midwest, like it or not.
Maybe throw Pennsylvania in for good measure. Parts of the southeast if they're not opposed to that.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:

Washington
Upstate New York
Northern California
Oregon
Vermont
Colorado

So, having mountain scenery seems to count for a lot. Except for El Paso, Texas doesn't have that.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:16 AM

45 posts, read 72,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If you don't leave the west coast, you might as well just stay in CA since neighboring states are gradually becoming clones of CA.
I’ll leave the west coast. Those are just my top options that I am aware of - I am open to mid western states. Which have a good economy etc…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.