Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 12:00 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Do they hire civilian barbers though?
All the barbers are civilian, on and off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 12:20 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
I was going to say Cheyenne, WY, but housing has gotten more expensive since the last time I looked. $350K seems to be the starting point now. Casper, WY would work. It is growing, but still affordable. The Rapid City, SD area along the I-90 corridor to the west is nice also. Housing can still be found in your price range, but it is going up a bit. If you aren't in the core downtown/old neighborhoods crime is pretty minimal, except for a fair amount of property crime. Mostly if you are dumb enough to leave it unlocked and out in the open, it might not be there when you come back. But, outside of town it is pretty much non-existent. When the in-laws passed a couple years ago we had to empty the house and sell it. No will, so it took a long time. The house was unlived in and the garage door was unlocked for more than a year, but no one ever approached the house cameras during that whole time.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:25 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I will never again make suggestions to people seeking to move and this is exactly why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I thought I was helping. I won't be making suggestions again.
Don't let it get to you. Suggestions that might be dismissed by one poster might be exactly what another poster is looking for.

As for the OP, if you're looking for hippy-ish, start your search in college towns. If you're looking for family-friendly, start your search in the suburbs of medium-sized to major cities. Montana and Wyoming do not have any major cities. Missoula and Laramie, respectively, are good places to start your search. For Colorado, try Boulder for hippy-ish and Castle Rock for family-friendly, though neither is all that cheap.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:40 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
Not a fan of Texas. Have been there a few times and didn’t enjoy my time there. I was thinking in this order

Washington
Upstate New York
Northern California
Oregon
Vermont
Colorado

Want to be somewhere with no crime and family friendly
I saw a YouTube video by a couple that moved from Mesa AZ to Star, Idaho. It looks very family friendly and nature like to me.

https://youtu.be/CTu122wOWFk

Do you have kids yet? Before I had kids my ex husband and I moved to a place where we had NO family support at all. It was tough and very depressing at times. I missed my family so think twice before moving really really far away from your wife's family. For me it was a big mistake.

Another thing: since your wife is from Orange County, don't move anywhere that is really cloudy, gloomy and rainy. Trust me on this. I am from Southern California and I hate that kind of weather. I lived in Oregon for my mother for 7 years and got the heck out. Now I'm in Alabama and it's always cloudy and often rainy here.

Last edited by pathrunner; 01-27-2022 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-28-2022, 06:45 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Google Military bases. All have barber shops and solons, and most have barbers just outside the gates too. Some bases are in pretty nice areas. Some smaller towns/cities that are more affordable. The larger VA hospitals have a barber shop too, so that's another source of regular barber work you could search on. VA hospitals are not dependent on being near a military base, and each state has at least one hospital, some states several.
Seeing this post, if the OP is looking to move to Upstate NY and Onondaga County/the Syracuse area in particular, Fort Drum Army Base about an hour and 15 minutes away in the Watertown area may be worth a look for barber work.

If the OP wants land they can look in that immediate area. However, it is quite snowy during the winter and would be an adjustment. Happy medium communities would be say Adams and Pulaski. There are a few lakeside state parks with beaches on Lake Ontario nearby, but again, that is in the snow belt just west of Tug Hill. It is very rural and you may even see some Mennonites/Amish in that area, buggy and all. Good area if you like to fish, particularly around Pulaski/Sandy Creek.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:45 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
All the barbers are civilian, on and off base.
I thought most of them would be 'sergeant barbers' like Bill in King of the Hill.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:55 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
So you started with 6 priority states then indicated a shift to two new ones. Are you still considering all 8 states? Or specific ones? What decisions have you made about ranking criteria importance? What new questions do you have?

Old 02-13-2022, 06:21 AM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Why aren’t the apartments accepting you?

Old 05-18-2022, 10:02 AM

45 posts, read 72,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why aren’t the apartments accepting you?
Because the other applicants are placing bids of paying higher rent … or they are showing more income.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:11 AM

8,329 posts, read 2,960,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
Huh, that would be great if I had the money to own a home here and in another state.

I’ve been looking more in to Wyoming and Montana are these two states any good? I’m not a political type, I actually am more of a hippy than anything. Would I stand out too much living in a place like this?
No and yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.