Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 11:00 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Colorado wouldn't be good if you are really into gardening. The growing season is very short.
What is considered "short" for you?

I live in Minnesota and I would consider our growing season to be long enough. Most of Colorado is even warmer than us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 11:26 AM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
I don’t want to leave , I mean A part of me is connected to living here I just cannot afford it my income is too low and I have a family to take care of

I'm curious about your job. You're a barber. I believe in CA barbers need to be licensed, and I assume you have that license. Have you looked into the licensing requirements in other states? Is that what you want to do for the rest of your life? If not, do you have a degree of any sort, are you open to obtaining one?

I suspect that barber incomes are not great, but I also suspect that they're better in Southern California than in places like Utah or Arizona as most SMB-provided services like that tend to have COL-adjusted prices and wages. So I have this hunch that your problem really is that the job you've chosen isn't sufficient to raise a family *anywhere* in this country.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:29 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
What is considered "short" for you?

I live in Minnesota and I would consider our growing season to be long enough. Most of Colorado is even warmer than us.
OP is in San Clemente which is growing zone 10, one of the longest growing seasons in the US. Colorado is mostly zone 5/6 which is comparatively short.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:30 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I don't want to seem nosy, but I am curious what barbers make. When I used to take my dad to a barber in Long Beach (he's close to 90! - the barber, that is) the fee was $20, and my dad would tip him 5 bucks. He had to stop going because he moved 15 miles away and no longer drives. That 90 yr old barber had a lot of clients, I'd have to call ahead to make an appointment.

I guess there is a chair fee, like in beauty salons. I would think that if a barber had, say, 15-20 clients a day, 5 days a week, they could made a decent living.

Old 07-08-2022, 12:02 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
OP is in San Clemente which is growing zone 10, one of the longest growing seasons in the US. Colorado is mostly zone 5/6 which is comparatively short.
Well they mentioned they want somewhere with seasons. You can't have both a super long growing season, while also having 4 distinct seasons. Anywhere with seasons is going to have at the bare minimum 3-4 months of dormancy. That's kinda how "winter" works.

Idk about Colorado but here, the growing season encompasses roughly the second half of April til the end of October. To me that's a very long period of time and within that period, a good portion of it is great for fruit and vegetable farming.

Old 07-08-2022, 12:13 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Gold Shaw Farm's Morgan Gold (his wife, actually) does just fine in northern Vermont growing a huge garden of organic vegetables. That's a very short growing season. (Almost incomprehensable to this L.A. woman ) They're from the East Coast so they don't mind the winters as much as someone else might.

Old 07-08-2022, 12:26 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
PS4Evr... If you are going to move... what have you learned in the six months this thread has been alive? I hope this isn't your only source of moving information. Have you actually found any areas you are considering base on your research? Is back to your family your likely choice in Upstate New York? Are there other options? Have you been able to visit anywhere you are considering?

There are a lot of cheaper areas in this country when compared to SO CAL. Let us know what you've done to find that next place in life. I think most people are happy to provide helpful advice. You need to provide as much info as you can to help us help you.

Good Luck

Old 07-08-2022, 12:29 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Well they mentioned they want somewhere with seasons. You can't have both a super long growing season, while also having 4 distinct seasons. Anywhere with seasons is going to have at the bare minimum 3-4 months of dormancy. That's kinda how "winter" works.

Idk about Colorado but here, the growing season encompasses roughly the second half of April til the end of October. To me that's a very long period of time and within that period, a good portion of it is great for fruit and vegetable farming.
Denver's last average freeze is around Mother's Day. Higher elevations in the mountains are even later. Gardening is a challenge here because you pretty much have to start your plants indoors, and after you move them outdoors they could get obliterated by hail in May and June.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:15 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver's last average freeze is around Mother's Day. Higher elevations in the mountains are even later. Gardening is a challenge here because you pretty much have to start your plants indoors, and after you move them outdoors they could get obliterated by hail in May and June.
Boise is similar, except we don't have any hail of significance. Once or twice a year we get pea or smaller hailstorms. But yes, last freeze in late May, first freeze anywhere from late Sept to early Oct. Still my corn is waist high, squash and tomato's have flowers, and the first sunflower bloomed this week. That is all we're growing this year. OP, you may want to look at Boise and its surrounding suburbs/towns. Lots of flights daily to SO CAL, and the weather isn't too extreme.

Old 12-15-2023, 08:16 AM

45 posts, read 72,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
PS4Evr... If you are going to move... what have you learned in the six months this thread has been alive? I hope this isn't your only source of moving information. Have you actually found any areas you are considering base on your research? Is back to your family your likely choice in Upstate New York? Are there other options? Have you been able to visit anywhere you are considering?

There are a lot of cheaper areas in this country when compared to SO CAL. Let us know what you've done to find that next place in life. I think most people are happy to provide helpful advice. You need to provide as much info as you can to help us help you.

Good Luck
I haven’t gotten very far. I’m still in the same position basically, I have a really hard time deciding and socal is too comfortable. I really want to get out of here still, most people I know are paying over 3000 a month just to rent a 2 br apartment, they’ll never own it or save any money! I don’t want that to be me. Luckily right now I don’t have to pay rent and I have the luxury to take my time and decide. I’ve opened my options to Maine as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.