Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 06:33 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Texas, it was El Paso.
Living in Virginia, it was Roanoke
Living in Maryland, it was Ellicott City
Living in Illinois, it was Aurora
Living in Florida, it was St. Petersburg

Last edited by Spade; 02-21-2022 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 08:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Not counting recently incorporated suburbs of Atlanta, East Point.

Not counting any suburbs of Atlanta, Hinesville.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:38 AM

483 posts, read 353,513 times
In Oregon, Prineville is the largest town I've never been to. It has about 10,000 residents

Old 02-28-2022, 07:40 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
When I lived in Massachusetts, I never set foot in Worcester. In Ohio, I've never been to Lorain.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:02 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
In Florida currently:
I have passed through Port Saint Lucie #7 several times on the freeway or exits, but I've never done anything there. Do want to go see the Mets ballpark eventually in my quest to see a game in every Grapefruit League park. There is certainly a chance that I've never actually even driven through Coral Springs #15 (I'm less confident I have than through the larger Broward County cities more directly along the road like Pembroke Pines and Miramar, but it is possible). However, I can assert with near full confidence that I have never passed through Lehigh Acres #20, a growing suburb to the east of Fort Myers. County Seat wise, the largest I haven't been to or through is Titusville (Brevard, 10th largest) in terms of having a look around, and Green Cove Springs (Clay County #25) in terms of never passing through. Statistical Area wise, Pensacola (503K MSA) I've only ever passed briefly on freeway, but in terms of never passing through, Panama City MSA at 175K takes the cake. I've passed through on freeway at least once, every Florida CSA.

In Ohio growing up:
While I have passed through it a couple of times, and so in a sense, I've "been", I don't feel that I've ever really done much of anything in Dayton #6. Also, I'm genuinely uncertain if I have ever passed through Lorain #9, and I do not think I have, although there's a slim chance that we drove along Lake Erie for full length back from Cedar Point or Islands at some point in life. To be safe, I'll say Hamilton at #10. However, I also like to look at county size for this, as that kind of tells a different story. Butler County is the 7th most populous in Ohio, and while I've passed briefly through Oxford/Miami University campus in 2009, again as said, I do not think I ever went to the county seat of Hamilton. As far as statistical areas, out of the 14 MSAs specifically located in Ohio, the largest I have never been in or even passed through would be Springfield, with 134K people. However, taking into account multi-state metro areas (Huntington-Ashland, WV/OH/KY) would be the largest, with 356K people. Also, I'm high key shocked right now, as I don't think I ever realized that Huntington MSA had nearly 100K more in it than Charleston. At this point, I'm just splitting hairs and data mining, but it is interesting to point out that for each of the instances I mentioned above, I have spent at least some time in the larger CSA of said places. In the sense of just passing on the freeway, I've been through all of those, inclusive of ones that are primarily in other states.

This was fun! We should do a nationwide one of these, if it does not exist already.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:10 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
I had to get all the way down to #9, Waukegan, IL.

When living in AZ, I'd say it was one of the PHX suburbs - I don't think I ever set foot in Gilbert.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:13 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Lake Havasu City, which I could go to get drunk on a boat, but I also do that here in Phoenix, and when I go to Maryland. Lake Havasu City does have the London bridge though, so maybe it is worth it… lol.

Second is Bullhead City, and you cannot under any circumstances make me go there.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You are correct, ashamed I used an unreputable source for my list (first google result).

So now I'm gonna say #32, Largo, is probably the largest city in FL I've never been. There's a decent chance I have been there since I've been to both Clearwater and Pinellas Park numerous times, but unlike the Top 31 I cannot pinpoint exactly when and why.
LOL! This is too funny that we both came to the same conclusion on Lehigh Acres-however, this also makes my job tougher, in terms of at least finding a real city

For county and metro that I looked into also though, this would seem to matter less. Hmm.. let's see. Hamilton is a city in OH, so no changes there.

Not sure I've ever been in or through Wellington at #56, but dang it, that's a village.. a 62K person village.

Whew, I think Saint Cloud, at #65/59K, takes the "honor".

Old 03-02-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Florence, Alabama (#11). I've been right across the river from it in Muscle Shoals, but have never ventured into Lauderdale County.

In my home state of Florida, it's Hialeah (#6). I've been as far south as Coral Gables on the Atlantic side and have spent a good amount of time in the Fort Lauderdale area, but have never had an opportunity to check out Hialeah.
If/When you do get there, get some food from the Palacio de los Jugos on 49th St. If you like Cuban/Latin food at all, you will not regret it. That stretch of road between the 826 highway and Red Rd seems to be the commercial heart of the city anyways. I also have wanted to go to the historic Hialeah Park Racetrack at some point to watch the "flight of the flamingos" which supposedly still happens every afternoon. The city itself had a pleasant enough vibe, and actually, among places above 250K, it is rated as one of the lowest crime cities in the entire US.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:28 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
In Oregon, Prineville is the largest town I've never been to. It has about 10,000 residents
You're not missing anything. It's a de-facto suburb of Bend, which itself was a town I found underwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.