Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 09:58 PM

20,634 posts, read 4,415,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
LOL, I love it.

As a native Floridian, I know all about invading NYers.

We humans are by nature curious, however. We all have a part of us that wants to see the reprehensible, gruesome, and scandalous with our own eyes.

Perhaps, but I rather limit my exposure to those things via TV.
I say let the pros Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee & John McClane deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 11:04 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
Grew up in Wisconsin, can't remember being in or through Marshfield. Or maybe some suburb, like DePere.

Been alll over Louisiana, buy I thing I missed Bogalusa

Old 02-10-2022, 11:18 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
#8. Corpus Christi - Pop 317,000. Have a trip planned for Mustang Island later this year.
For all the Texans that haven't been to El Paso it's a great place to check out and very different for all the other large Texas cities, but it's one of those cities that you sort of just pass through unless your visiting the great national parks close by.
Corpus is an easy one to miss, the main highway goes through Robstown, and you'd need a special reason to turn off and make the 20 mile side trip.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:35 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Chino

Old 02-11-2022, 12:57 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
My mom's side of the family hails between Buffalo and Rochester. Rural New Yorkers, and they all have a common bond: they innately despise down-staters and have no desire to travel to New York City. They all harbor innate distrust of New York City residents, and believe they carry them financially with their tax dollars.

Wow, that's crazy given how the balance of payments has been a pretty large net transfer with state spending versus state tax receipts discrepancies from downstate to upstate for a long while.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:25 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
My mom's side of the family hails between Buffalo and Rochester. Rural New Yorkers, and they all have a common bond: they innately despise down-staters and have no desire to travel to New York City. They all harbor innate distrust of New York City residents, and believe they carry them financially with their tax dollars.
As a native Rochesterian, this is a prevailing sentiment that never quite resonated with me. Upstaters seem to have this blind hatred towards New York City despite many of them never having stepped foot in the city. Part of it could be an inferiority complex. Upstaters like to call NYC an overcrowded, dirty, dangerous cesspool. Big cities aren’t for everyone. Yet ironically, while I realize the Big Apple has worsened since the onset of the pandemic, every single Upstate city is in objectively worse shape than NYC. Economically many are in shambles. Crime rates significantly surpass those in the big city. People are moving down South in droves. Development is stagnant or nonexistent. Wages are weak. Good jobs are fleeting.

Perhaps it’s a bit of resentment. As OyCrumbler said above, Downstate pays more in taxes that get funneled north. Upstaters believe the misconception that the opposite is true.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Upstate New York. The most beautiful land on the East Coast exists there, in my humble opinion. Even the struggling cities are still charming places full of good people, great food and plenty to do. I just wish more would appreciate what the entire state has to offer.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:15 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I take it that many Upstaters take this as a point-of-pride?

I can certainly understand the animosity; but come on who isn't at least a little bit curious to see NYC for themselves?

I visited NYC for the first time when I was in my 20s. Once I'd seen it, I had no desire to go back. However, by unexpected chance I ended up there again in 2019. Again, I have no desire to return.
I wouldn't say I take pride in it and there is certainly no animosity. I just don't like crowds lol.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:41 AM

4,604 posts, read 2,992,254 times
There are many places in CA that I've yet to visit, but I've at least set foot in the major cities, and many of the smaller ones.

The largest ones I haven't been to are Bakersfield (ninth largest in the state by population) and Stockton (eleventh).

Old 02-11-2022, 10:08 AM

16,074 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Roswell

Old 02-11-2022, 02:29 PM

409 posts, read 333,255 times
Waldorf, MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.