Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 02:46 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,080,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
So, how many days of healthy life would John Q. Doe add to his life, by moving from Memphis to San Jose? Or, would the typical Memphian drag down the San Jose chances by boarding a bus west with all his baggagge???

Do San Josenos actually do something to make their city healthier, or is there some kind of a magic fountain there?
First of all if you decide on living in San Jose you better be pretty wealthy since the average home price is $1.4 million there. Compare that to $140,000 in Memphis.

https://www.zillow.com/san-jose-ca/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/memphis-tn/home-values/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 05:39 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,870,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
This year, San Jose topped the list as the healthiest city in America. "There are several factors that contributed to San Jose being at the top of the list, including one of the lowest unemployment rates, high job security, and the low share of people living in poverty.”

In addition, more than 90% of people in San Jose were able to afford a doctor visit in the past year. The city has an almost 91% high school graduation rate, among the highest in the country. But San Jose's strongest suite is healthcare. “It has high quality hospitals, more than 85% of people have a personal doctor and the uninsured rate is the smallest nationwide.” “Most people report being in good health, and the city tops all the others in terms of preventive healthcare. San Jose also has some of the lowest obesity, death rates, as well as high life expectancy."

Top 10 Healthiest Cities in America

1. San Jose, CA
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Miami, FL
4. Washington DC
5. San Diego, CA
6. Los Angeles, CA
7. Seattle, WA
8. Austin, TX
9. New York, NY
10. Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Unhealthiest Cities in America (1 Being the Worst)
1. Memphis, TN
2. Birmingham, AL
3. Louisville, KY
4. Oklahoma City, OK
5. Cincinnati, OH
6. Indianapolis, IN
7. New Orleans, LA
8. Nashville, TN
9. St. Louis, MO
10. Detroit, MI

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/
I have been in San Jose and it is indeed a very, very healthy city overall.

San Jose is the only large city in California that I think is excellent.

San Jose is the only big city in America that the signs of a very healthy population are everywhere.

San Jose is like no other big city in America. I think it is the only large city in America that a majority of the population lives a very healthy lifestyle.

San Jose is very quiet city overall, but it is the only excellent large city left in the United States in my opinion. It is sparking clean, people running and walking at all hours, parks are full.

I notice in San Jose that most restaurants serve more chicken and seafood compared to San Diego or Los Angeles which the smell of beef in the air is heavy in many neighborhoods.

I notice in Santa Clara County overall, very few smokers and generally people look healthier than any place I have visited in the United States.

I don't believe that Los Angeles and San Diego are healthy cities for the majority.

Los Angeles overall has very dirty air, it's crowded so there is alot of viruses always circulating and half the city the air smells of grease because people there eat alot of very unhealthy food and I notice there are quite a few cigarette smokers.

Maybe they just surveyed the residents on the Northside of San Diego.

The Northside of San Diego is full of healthy places to eat and people running along the water, but South and East San Diego residents look very similar to the Texas stereotype.

The Northside of San Diego is full of extremely fit and athletic individuals, but South and East San Diego remind me of Texas.

Plates and plates of high calorie food, very few people walking around and very car-centric.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:00 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,364 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Obesity tends to follow poverty.

In this country it is much cheaper to eat poorly than to eat healthy. Then you throw into the mix the hours people have to work to make ends meet, its cheaper and easier to feed yourself and your family a Hot Pocket than to fix a healthy meal. Then you have food deserts in poor areas in the country.

I think were looking at this list wrong. The idea that a place like Memphis is full of lazy people and San Jose is full of people doing yoga and hiking isnt right. Memphis is poor, San Jose has money. There is the primary difference.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:42 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times
I am not surprised with the ranking.

I've heard Philadelphia is unhealthy but it didn't give me that vibe.

Memphians are very unhealthy. They love their fried food. I've never seen so many fried chicken places in my life. They love their lard for frying food in restaurants. Not surprised by St Louis and Nashville ranking either.

It's interesting that my perfect places to live is Seattle and DC.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 02-18-2022 at 08:52 AM..

Old 02-18-2022, 08:55 AM

9,916 posts, read 6,628,378 times
No surprise on Cincinnati, Memphis, New Orleans and Nashville being in the unhealthy category

Old 02-18-2022, 09:09 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,295,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No surprise on Cincinnati, Memphis, New Orleans and Nashville being in the unhealthy category
What are you saying?

Old 02-18-2022, 09:20 AM

9,916 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What are you saying?
I’m saying I’ve been to these places and have seen how unapologetically people eat there as opposed to other major cities. Not in a bad way I love all of these places.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:34 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,080,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Memphis is poor, San Jose has money.
San Jose is also the home of Silicon Valley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Old 02-18-2022, 11:06 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,571,094 times
Who’s to say or assume “smarter” people working 12+ hours/day are necessarily eating healthy and/or are working out? Some overly preoccupied with their job / career path (tech, finance, law, etc) often sacrifice that while chasing their dream.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:07 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,219,936 times
Obesity rates (admittedly only one way to measure health) have surged so much in the United States to around 30% nationwide in recent years (per CDC) that even the relatively "fitter" places still have a lot of room for improvement.

My guess is that Boulder, CO would probably rank as the fittest place if metro areas of all sizes are included. The area's outdoor amenities are exceptional and local residents definitely take advantage. But I think even Memphis and similar places have the potential to offer much healthier lifestyles than most residents currently practice. Fresh produce, walking trails and gyms exist in every US metropolitan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.