Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 07:55 AM

84 posts, read 58,596 times

Advertisements

Wow, legit did not know Nashville was CST. (Even more surprised to know Dallas and Austin are CST!) Well good to know but yea sadly that would take Nashville off the list.

I'm taking some vacation days next month, so think I'll go explore Tampa and Orlando and check them out for myself.

For those who've been to or lived in both, I'm curious what the people are like? And the general culture?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
IMHO your top four choices were all awful if you want somewhere walkable you can easily live without a car. Charleston is the exception, but the walkable area is small and expensive (cheapest one bedrooms go for maybe $1,500?).

I think Richmond is actually a much better choice. Lots of affordable apartments, and the core section of the city (from Museum District/Carytown to Church Hill) is quite walkable.

Atlanta is also workable, as others have noted. If you're not set on the Sun Belt, you could also look at Louisville, Cincinnati, or Columbus, as they all could work well for you.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:47 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,284,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufMinerals View Post
Wow, legit did not know Nashville was CST. (Even more surprised to know Dallas and Austin are CST!) Well good to know but yea sadly that would take Nashville off the list.

I'm taking some vacation days next month, so think I'll go explore Tampa and Orlando and check them out for myself.

For those who've been to or lived in both, I'm curious what the people are like? And the general culture?
Regarding the people and culture of Orlando vs Tampa, they’re really pretty similar. Orlando has more of an east coast vibe and somewhat more international since it attracts so many foreign tourists. Tampa is more mid-western and more friendly as a whole. There’s not a huge difference and it wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me.

In the Tampa Bay Area, I suggest checking out downtown St. Pete and Channelside/Water Street in Tampa as these areas should come closest to meeting your needs. I’ll defer to someone else on Orlando.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:51 AM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:

Lived in Orlando for years.
Prior to that, attended USF in Tampa.
Currently reside in North Pinellas County.

Orlando lacks a distinct culture. VERY transient in nature. Just about everyone I knew was from somewhere else. People were generally very friendly, however.

Tampa is significantly more established, and has a much stronger culture. It is also transient, but much less so than Orlando. People have been very friendly, from what I have seen, as well.

Places to explore if considering a move:

Orlando:
Downtown
South Eola
Lake Eola Heights
Thornton Park
Colonialtown (South, North, Colonial Town Center)
Baldwin Park (HIGHLY recommended... Last place I lived, and I loved it. Was there car-free for a year)
Audubon Park

Tampa:
Downtown (all of it, including Channel District)
Hyde Park (particularly SoHo)
Downtown St-Pete

Orlando has Sunrail to help get around a bit. You can take it to grab lunch or dinner in Winter Park, and back, for instance. I used it quite a bit when I was there, particularly for that, or for rendez-vous in Downtown Kissimmee.

Tampa has better bus service, although both leave much to be desired.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 02-16-2022 at 09:11 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 08:53 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
As a former nashville resident, I would have suggested Nashville, but it's not in the same timezone as the other cities. As such, I'd go with Tampa.

However, as other have mentioned, none of the cities you mentioned are very walk-able, at least not in whole.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:20 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:

Your employer really is not flexible with just a one hour time difference? That is surprising if it's the case!

But hey, some companies are strict, I suppose.

As I mentioned a bit earlier, my vote goes to Tampa--it's the better region and overall city (along with St Petersburg, which I've heard is pretty happening and dynamic in some areas these days).

Old 02-17-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IMHO your top four choices were all awful if you want somewhere walkable you can easily live without a car. Charleston is the exception, but the walkable area is small and expensive (cheapest one bedrooms go for maybe $1,500?).

I think Richmond is actually a much better choice. Lots of affordable apartments, and the core section of the city (from Museum District/Carytown to Church Hill) is quite walkable.

Atlanta is also workable, as others have noted. If you're not set on the Sun Belt, you could also look at Louisville, Cincinnati, or Columbus, as they all could work well for you.
I am totally on the same page with you about Atlanta, as well as even Cincinnati or Columbus. Definitely walkable in certain districts and a lot going on in each city.

With the OP coming from here in the city (NYC), all cities on his list will be huge downgrades in terms of options and walkability, but with regional mid-sized cities like Louisville and Richmond, the OP might find those 2 options to be super small and super limiting after a bit of time. Especially for a mid twenties something used to New York. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I am totally on the same page with you about Atlanta, as well as even Cincinnati or Columbus. Definitely walkable in certain districts and a lot going on in each city.

With the OP coming from here in the city (NYC), all cities on his list will be huge downgrades in terms of options and walkability, but with regional mid-sized cities like Louisville and Richmond, the OP might find those 2 options to be super small and super limiting after a bit of time. Especially for a mid twenties something used to New York. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed that anything is a downgrade. However, I don't think there's that much difference in terms of metro size between somewhere like Orlando/Tampa vs Richmond/Louisville. To the degree there is, many of the additional amenities are going to be stretched out in "suburban" areas which as as someone who doesn't drive, he won't be able to take advantage of.

But yeah, it's going to basically feel like living in a New York neighborhood at best. Like the walkable core of Richmond has about 60,000 people - about the same as the population of Bed-Stuy.

The real answer if a NYCer wants to not have a car but to move somewhere more affordable is Philly (or Chicago) but he seems to want a bigger change than that.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Agreed that anything is a downgrade. However, I don't think there's that much difference in terms of metro size between somewhere like Orlando/Tampa vs Richmond/Louisville. To the degree there is, many of the additional amenities are going to be stretched out in "suburban" areas which as as someone who doesn't drive, he won't be able to take advantage of.

But yeah, it's going to basically feel like living in a New York neighborhood at best. Like the walkable core of Richmond has about 60,000 people - about the same as the population of Bed-Stuy.

The real answer if a NYCer wants to not have a car but to move somewhere more affordable is Philly (or Chicago) but he seems to want a bigger change than that.
Right--that's totally fair. I think anywhere is a massive downgrade from NYC options.

And you do make a great point. NYC's neighborhoods are sometimes almost as large population-wise as these smaller to mid-sized cities. Since you mentioned Bed Stuy, I looked up Harlem's population, and it is right at 200,000 people itself. Incredible to compare the numbers.

And yeah, if it's a massive change of lifestyle that is desired, any of those cities on the OP's list will offer that from NYC. Lots of folks move out of NYC wanting change, they get it for a while, then move back, craving all that NYC offers. I did that myself.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:32 AM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

And yeah, if it's a massive change of lifestyle that is desired, any of those cities on the OP's list will offer that from NYC. Lots of folks move out of NYC wanting change, they get it for a while, then move back, craving all that NYC offers. I did that myself.
And I believe most do...

The amenities and lifestyle of NYC cannot be duplicated in this country, or even in North America for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.