Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 11:41 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The walkable areas of fast growing Southern/Sunbelt cities are not cheap.... Don't make your decision based on average rents in any of these cities unless you plan on changing your lifestyle and plan on driving everywhere and all the time.
Yes, and then you'll need to factor in the $900/month on average that car ownership and driving cost. Even if you're not driving to work, a car is likely expected for social reasons, and especially for outdoor recreation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Out of your cities offered, Nashville will be the best choice, with the Tampa region a good second.
Concur that Charleston or Orlando aren't good options - both have heavily tourism-dependent economies, which provides plenty of Things To Do and is fine for overall job growth, but not great for life advancement.

Also concur on Atlanta or maybe Charlotte.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Yes, and then you'll need to factor in the $900/month on average that car ownership and driving cost. Even if you're not driving to work, a car is likely expected for social reasons, and especially for outdoor recreation.

Concur that Charleston or Orlando aren't good options - both have heavily tourism-dependent economies, which provides plenty of Things To Do and is fine for overall job growth, but not great for life advancement.

Also concur on Atlanta or maybe Charlotte.
Why wouldn't they be great for life advancement?

Old 02-24-2022, 05:48 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
As a long term Phoenix resident, Tampa is very similar. Almost too similar…. Traffic in Tampa is worse though. Well to be fair, it’s all of Florida. Floridians can’t drive. It gets worse on the I-4. And the I-75 is no peach.

Neither city Tampa or Phoenix is all that walkable so I don’t know where that came from. If Phoenix is walkable to you I have shocking news, you’ll be happy walking almost anywhere.

I’m personally looking at Atlanta for a relocation because I believe Atlanta will be different enough from Phoenix to provide what I’m looking for.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:07 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
I heard Tampa was quite expensive if you were making local money.

I'd strike Charleston on the basis of state income tax alone.

Probably a tossup between Nashville and Orlando imo.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:22 AM

84 posts, read 58,612 times
Thanks for all your inputs guys. I thought I'd share a quick update: I was able to find another place here in NYC so I'm just going to stay after all. (I know...all that noise over nothing)

The compromise, however, is that me (and 3 others) will have to move out of Manhattan in order to afford the rent (we all work in Manhattan, which is what made it so optimal for us all). Literally every place we went to had jacked up their rents and refused to budge at all on prices. One realtor buddy told us they'd rather just keep the apartments empty

I have no idea how anybody can afford NYC. And even if they could, why they would leave themselves to the whims of (what has got to be) the world's ****tiest landlords.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:12 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufMinerals View Post

I have no idea how anybody can afford NYC. And even if they could, why they would leave themselves to the whims of (what has got to be) the world's ****tiest landlords.
Lifestyle... I'd be fine with paying double of what I pay now for rent here in Pinellas County FL (which has also skyrocketed recently, so it isn't cheap) to live in NYC if I didn't have kids, or at least, if they were older. I can see where some (many) find value there. Fast-paced, car-free, everything is around the corner, REAL 24/7 activity, diversity, tons of transit options, etc.

Landlords tend to be ****ty in every inner city area, all over the country.

The happiest medium I had found that checked MOST of the marks I was looking for was Baldwin Park in Orlando, but that was also fairly expensive when I lived there

Glad you found something outside of Manhattan that works for you though. Best of luck.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:44 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Should've done Asbury Park!

Old 03-24-2022, 01:56 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Nashville over the other three cities mentioned. Four seasons, not the humidity and bugs of Florida, mountain not far, Tennessee River right there, central time zone, big projects in process with Oracle and Amazon, a state capital so some above average economic stability exists.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:06 PM

186 posts, read 283,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Nashville over the other three cities mentioned. Four seasons, not the humidity and bugs of Florida, mountain not far, Tennessee River right there, central time zone, big projects in process with Oracle and Amazon, a state capital so some above average economic stability exists.
Nashville is nowhere near the Tennessee River. Also OP already mentioned that he had decided to stay in NYC. This thread can now be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.