Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 08:53 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Not all Asian groups are equally open to marrying white.
This is ten years old but still match my personal observation.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...oup-relations/

A ranking of ethnicities willing to date outside their race, from most to least:

Japanese
Filipino
Korean
Chinese
Vietnamese
Indian

American born ones are also found to be more receptive to this type of relationship than new immigrants.

Since there aren't that many Japanese Americans, and a lot of them are in Hawaii, just find a place with a big Filipino/Korean/Chinese population that are pretty established and not new.

While places like Minneapolis or Houston might look good on paper because of overall Asian numbers they're not as good as Boston, NYC or the West Coast for this reason.
You have this list wrong. Japanese is near the bottom. Filipino is #1 by far and Vietnamese is easily ahead of Chinese. You’re completely wrong on Houston and Minneapolis. Houston’s large Filipino population and Minneapolis’ large Hmong population (both which integrate with Americans) make them good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 09:01 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You have this list wrong. Japanese is near the bottom. Filipino is #1 by far and Vietnamese is easily ahead of Chinese. You’re completely wrong on Houston and Minneapolis. Houston’s large Filipino population and Minneapolis’ large Hmong population (both which integrate with Americans) make them good choices.
Are you basing this claim on another survey or are you saying I read the Pew Research numbers wrong?
I've been to St Paul for a couple of days and didn't see any wm/aw couples. Did see a few wf/am ones though.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Are you basing this claim on another survey or are you saying I read the Pew Research numbers wrong?
I've been to St Paul for a couple of days and didn't see any wm/aw couples. Did see a few wf/am ones though.
Well, your link showed Koreans being the least comfortable of the groups mentioned. It does show Japanese #1 which is a bit surprising to me. But the American Japanese community is very small. And the few huge populations that exist are in California and NY, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Anyway, I respect this list but a problem with this list is that it only includes these 6 nationalities. Particularly in the case of Minneapolis, they boast a huge Hmong population which isn’t shown by this. And the Hmong people are known for integrating when it comes to dating. I for one have known quite a bit of them in my travels and rarely see a born American Hmong end up dating another Asian.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:38 AM

Pew research aside, me and most above have all said it’s the west coast and I think it’s obvious why. Of course it has a large and diverse Asian population but it’s also known for integrating (especially when it comes to dating). As opposed to the east coast where ethnicities are more likely to stay within

Old 02-18-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Well, your link showed Koreans being the least comfortable of the groups mentioned. It does show Japanese #1 which is a bit surprising to me. But the American Japanese community is very small. And the few huge populations that exist are in California and NY, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Anyway, I respect this list but a problem with this list is that it only includes these 6 nationalities. Particularly in the case of Minneapolis, they boast a huge Hmong population which isn’t shown by this. And the Hmong people are known for integrating when it comes to dating. I for one have known quite a bit of them in my travels and rarely see a born American Hmong end up dating another Asian.
I don't have as much personal knowledge with the Hmong except what I saw in the Twin Cities. They struck me as pretty traditional but that is an impression formed from a short trip so probably not a good data point.

The West Coast in general is the right answer for sure.

My impression of the Vietnamese in Houston is that they don't date or even interact socially with others very much, for such a large group that had been in the area for three generations. Overall they're probably as well integrated as the South Asians. Would you say that's fair or is your observation different?

Old 02-18-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I don't have as much personal knowledge with the Hmong except what I saw in the Twin Cities. They struck me as pretty traditional but that is an impression formed from a short trip so probably not a good data point.

The West Coast in general is the right answer for sure.

My impression of the Vietnamese in Houston is that they don't date or even interact socially with others very much, for such a large group that had been in the area for three generations. Overall they're probably as well integrated as the South Asians. Would you say that's fair or is your observation different?
The Hmong people are very much known for being traditional in culture. I agree there completely but they’re still pretty open for interracial dating despite that.

From my perspective: Dating not so much, but interacting socially, the Vietnamese of Houston and Texas as whole is very much known for integrating socially. They even established a trendy local dish here. Atleast compared to other nationalities. The Chinese population of Houston isn’t too far behind the Vietnamese and they are much less known as a community. This speaks a lot about how much they integrate vs Viet. I interact with them a lot because of my job and my uni had lots of them in my classes. Houston’s Filipino community while large is concentrated in the southern suburbs and TMC area, but regardless they’re the most open dating community.

There’s just something about the west coast’s culture that makes it an open society overall compared to the rest of the country (and especially compared to the east coast).

Old 02-18-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
The Hmong people are very much known for being traditional in culture. I agree there completely but they’re still pretty open for interracial dating despite that.

From my perspective: Dating not so much, but interacting socially, the Vietnamese of Houston and Texas as whole is very much known for integrating socially. They even established a trendy local dish here. Atleast compared to other nationalities. The Chinese population of Houston isn’t too far behind the Vietnamese and they are much less known as a community. This speaks a lot about how much they integrate vs Viet. I interact with them a lot because of my job and my uni had lots of them in my classes. Houston’s Filipino community while large is concentrated in the southern suburbs and TMC area, but regardless they’re the most open dating community.

There’s just something about the west coast’s culture that makes it an open society overall compared to the rest of the country (and especially compared to the east coast).
The Chinese population in Houston while large are mostly new immigrants from PRC so I don't expect to see much integration. I don't have the sources to back it up but you can tell by going to Asiatown. Most of the new restaurants cater to mainland Chinese tastes while the traditional Taiwanese/Cantonese ones go out of business.

Socially I didn't really see much mixing outside of work, school and residential areas. People seem to mostly stick to their own at nightlife spots or restaurants, with the exception of tokens. That's not just Asians though. Things might be different in CA for Asians and ATL for blacks.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The Chinese population in Houston while large are mostly new immigrants from PRC so I don't expect to see much integration. I don't have the sources to back it up but you can tell by going to Asiatown. Most of the new restaurants cater to mainland Chinese tastes while the traditional Taiwanese/Cantonese ones go out of business.

Socially I didn't really see much mixing outside of work, school and residential areas. People seem to mostly stick to their own at nightlife spots or restaurants, with the exception of tokens. That's not just Asians though. Things might be different in CA for Asians and ATL for blacks.
Well Asiatown doesn’t exist. That’s a term journalist use to combine the Chinatown and Viet Town which are very close together. But no one in Houston actually says that.

Anyway, if you ever go back to Chinatown Houston and want some Cantonese or Taiwanese cuisine, I would recommend going to the less apparent plazas. The Dun Huang Plaza is the most visitor friendly one and Cantonese doesn’t do to well there. Try going to the less visited Plazas that are on the other side (north of Bellaire Blvd) (I.e. Diho Square). Those places are hotpots for Cantonese

Old 02-18-2022, 11:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
I'd go with the Bay Area for this though I don't doubt that LA or Seattle would also be good.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Well Asiatown doesn’t exist. That’s a term journalist use to combine the Chinatown and Viet Town which are very close together. But no one in Houston actually says that.

Anyway, if you ever go back to Chinatown Houston and want some Cantonese or Taiwanese cuisine, I would recommend going to the less apparent plazas. The Dun Huang Plaza is the most visitor friendly one and Cantonese doesn’t do to well there. Try going to the less visited Plazas that are on the other side (north of Bellaire Blvd) (I.e. Diho Square). Those places are hotpots for Cantonese
The mayor and the county judge also use that term but yeah it sounds made up, like Mahatma Gandhi District instead of Hillcroft.

There used to be a decent Taiwanese place in Dynasty Plaza but it's taken over by a Fuzhou place. The bakeries that used to be in all of the plazas are almost all gone. You can get egg custard only in the new chain place. I wouldn't be surprised if Tan Tan or Sinh Sinh shut their doors in the next two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.