Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 12:42 PM

259 posts, read 161,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
They definitely are less accepting. They only exist in LA/SF/NY for a reason. Filipinos are the first by far. Japanese are towards the bottom.

In Texas we have some huge Japanese companies (Toyota, Daikin, 7-Eleven, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) yet our population is insanely small for Japanese.
While it's anecdotal, I'm the son of Japanese/white couple. I also have a good friend that is the same. I live in the Midwest. My experience has been Japanese are not at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 04:07 PM

638 posts, read 350,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
There’s lots of working class Asians here but many of them are undocumented.
That is true, but the reality is that many ivy leagues, top schools, and exclusive communities are heavily leaning Asian American now.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:51 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,216,666 times
There are plenty of such pairings here in the Atlanta area (I know of some in my neighborhood), and no reason why they wouldn't be accepted just as much as any other couples. If Asian/White couples face any obstacles, it is usually from the older Asian family members who are very culturally traditional and have more rigidly defined expectations for their daughters, including marrying a man of the same nationality.

This doesn't apply in many Asian families of course, especially with the growing population who have been in the US often for as many or more generations as certain White families.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:07 PM

817 posts, read 629,631 times
I'd imagine that White men/Asian women couples face a lot of hate from Asian men and White women.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:18 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
That is true, but the reality is that many ivy leagues, top schools, and exclusive communities are heavily leaning Asian American now.
Like it or not, this is true, but I think the wealthiest of the wealthiest neighborhoods are still predominately white. For example, I live in upper middle class urban which now feels majority Asian. Newport and Laguna Beach are predominantly white, not a lot of Asians.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:23 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
In terms of first generation immigrants yes - Japanese emigration to anywhere has really slowed to a trickle in the last few decades. The newer “immigrants” are really expats, very wealthy, intracompany transferees in high up positions and their families. Probably not super likely to stay in the US permanently, let alone marry outside their race or even nationality.

But you’ve also got the second and third generation Japanese from prior eras that are way more assimilated into US culture. So it does actually make sense to me.
Exactly. Japan had been a first world nation for decades and there was less financial incentive for Japanese to emigrate to the US. Being accepting or not had little to do with it.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:28 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,299,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I'd imagine that White men/Asian women couples face a lot of hate from Asian men and White women.
Nope

Old 02-20-2022, 07:29 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahomes View Post
Let's face it asian/ white couples face very little discrimination. I can live with my wife pretty much anywhere.
I think that's the case too outside of unusual settings like Hawaii.
I had assumed this thread is about where white guys with yellow fevers can most easily date, than where such couples can live in peace.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:23 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
No. From my experience, the white men who date Asian women have a lot of Asian men friends, often times they were introduced to the Asian woman by an Asian male friend.

I doubt most white women would care, but not sure.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:38 AM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
From my experiences: Los Angeles, Honolulu, Seattle, Atlanta, San Francisco, San Diego.

I haven’t spent enough time in other cities in the US to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.