Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 09:05 AM

1,354 posts, read 902,635 times

Advertisements

Port St Lucie, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 09:08 AM

463 posts, read 354,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
tbh until I actually started studying cities, I had no idea what Riverside was lol
Riverside is a fraud metro. Only an MSA due to accounting guidelines by the OMB.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:49 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,466,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Riverside is a fraud metro. Only an MSA due to accounting guidelines by the OMB.
I don’t know if I’d call it a fraud metro, but the Inland Empire certainly is a weird beast? Most is an extension of Los Angeles, but a decent portion is the exurbs of San Diego. You also have the mountain communities where the lake and ski resorts are, and desert communities like Palm Springs. Because county lines are used for metros, it runs all the way to the Nevada and Arizona borders. This is a silly measurement, and the IE really should be broken into, and/or added to multiple MSAs.

The area in and around Riverside could stand on its own though. It has a solid 1M in population, a legit international airport (busier than cities like Buffalo, Memphis, OKC), and several highly ranked universities. Not to mention NASCAR and multiple minor league teams.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:03 PM

6,820 posts, read 6,071,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I stand corrected. The site I looked at had them included, but others do not. I have heard of Falmouth and Chatham that are included. I just don't know why I've never heard of Barnstable.

The Falmouth road race is famous in the international running community.
It must be a really fascinating historical quirk as to why the city is called "Barnstable" and not "Hyannis". Both are villages within the larger town, but Hyannis is where the grand chunk of *stuff* is in.

I imagine it was founded as Barnstable first, and then Hyannis grew in size much later. Kind of like with Newbury and Newburyport, but in that case Newburyport split off as a separate entity from Newbury while Hyannis stayed consolidated with Barnstable.

Besides the ones you already listed, Provincetown is another famous place that is in the Barnstable MSA.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:17 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,084,417 times
#65: McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX MSA
I guess I don't think much about that part of Texas, as it's not really on my radar of places to visit.

Old 03-07-2022, 03:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,793,683 times
132: Salisbury, MD-DE MSA

Old 03-07-2022, 05:26 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,082,547 times
#149 Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, NC

Never heard of it ....and I was a geography major ...love maps

Old 03-08-2022, 12:22 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,244,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I too was not familiar with Anniston AL until I drove past in on I 20. I noticed it because there are sizeable mountains surrounding it in an area I didn’t otherwise know had them
Anniston is actually home to Alabama's highest peak, Mt Cheaha.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:05 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I don’t know if I’d call it a fraud metro, but the Inland Empire certainly is a weird beast? Most is an extension of Los Angeles, but a decent portion is the exurbs of San Diego. You also have the mountain communities where the lake and ski resorts are, and desert communities like Palm Springs. Because county lines are used for metros, it runs all the way to the Nevada and Arizona borders. This is a silly measurement, and the IE really should be broken into, and/or added to multiple MSAs.

The area in and around Riverside could stand on its own though. It has a solid 1M in population, a legit international airport (busier than cities like Buffalo, Memphis, OKC), and several highly ranked universities. Not to mention NASCAR and multiple minor league teams.
The Inland Empire is the main reason I don't like judging cities by MSA, since it's so obviously unfair, and I think the urban area is a more accurate measurement to use. This pushes the area from the #13 spot all the way down to 22 but still larger than other popular western cities like Vegas and Portland, which is weird.

Using the UA rankings also makes Miami the fourth largest city in the country, which sounds right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.