Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 04:05 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times

Advertisements

I live in St. Louis and it's 90% Black and White with few Hispanics Asians and Indians.

My neighborhood full of professionals of all races and nationalities. Most of my friends are Black, numerous are White, and one is Hispanic with a few mixed races. It has happened that way very naturally meeting people in my day to day life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 10:54 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
What I found interesting about living in Queens was that despite the diversity, my wife and I were really one of the only interracial couples I would see walking down the street. Compare that to Cambridge, MA where there where it almost seemed the norm.

But with Queens, NY I noticed that the recent immigrants did try to stay in their "own" neighborhoods with very little overlap. It was only after they had become more assimilated or they were second-generation did I see people moving to more suburban parts of Queens and living in actual diverse neighborhoods.
Yeah i know BBMM will go crazy for this comment. But i was shocked coming from Boston. Immense diversity. Little integration. Much higher tensions

Old 03-16-2022, 10:55 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea because where? Boston is lowkey social apartheid (more so than residential). It's basic white people pushing their culture and ignoring everyone else's. Definitely (a little) better in the suburbs. Asian and Whites especially. I guess on the north shore Hispanic/White integration is a thing to an extent...

I'd give it 3/10 from my perspective. The absolute bottom of the bucket white-black integration from a social standpoint.

Again the thread isnt “Black/white”. Its every race. Keep that in mind.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:58 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah i know BBMM will go crazy for this comment. But i was shocked coming from Boston. Immense diversity. Little integration. Much higher tensions
Cambridge is a relatively integrated suburb of Boston- I often make this point when I say Cambridge is NOT Boston : I don’t really know the dynamics there that well but it has a reputation for being quite different than Boston in terms of race relations and it’s pretty evident when you go to Central Square. And the neighborhoods immediately around it. I remember I met a transplant from Detroit (Black, an artists) and she preferred Cambridge over Boston, she isn’t the only one.

It’s consistent with my assertion that the suburbs fare better than Boston proper.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:01 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Again the thread isnt “Black/white”. Its every race. Keep that in mind.
Didn’t I just touch on every race in the comment you quoted? ??

What did you read? Remember I’ve only *lived* in Boston and briefly Milton for a 5 years as a kid( a literally block from Boston) I didn’t live I the suburbs. I also said my perspective at the end- a black person form Boston. Not Marlborough or wherever..

East Milton was rumored to have a white supremacist KK/ clan and the divide between East Milton (the E/Irish Milton) and West Milton (‘Miltapan’) was out in the open.

Milton police investigating swastikas and racist graffiti at Curry College

Also in Milton:

A white police officer launched a racist rant at her son’s Black friend, now she’s facing charges

I was told by other black kids in town not to make friends with people in East Milton.

Boston:

Where white people go, where black people go. Cellphone data captures how segregated Bostonians are in their movements:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/...eir-movements/

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-16-2022 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-16-2022, 06:03 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
I think it might be less the regions themselves, but where I lived in the regions.

Cambridge is (for lack of a better term) a type of wealthier and/or more educated type of diversity, so people tend to be more open to other cultures as long as they're in the same educational and/or background.

When I lived in Queens, it was more of a working-class segregated diversity. Couple that with the fact that many (if not most) of my neighbors spoke with an accent, it's safe to say they were not born in the US. They were working-class immigrants who tended to gravitate towards their own people for supposed "safety" as well as competition. In working class areas, people often compete with each other for low wage jobs, whereas the upper class and educated immigrants to Cambridge don't face the same kind of challenges. It makes integration easier.

I think if you want to compare Boston to NYC, you need to compare similar neighborhoods (or cities). Compare Dorchester to Queens, Cambridge to Hoboken, Roxbury to Harlem, and then you'll have a better idea of which city integrates its citizen better.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:55 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
I was 30 before LBJ said it was OK, but even then I had black friends in Now Orleans, even house guests, mixed parties. NO was always cool. Before that, in Mobile, I think I lost my job partly because I was a "troublemaker", too friendly with a couple of black employees. In California, dated two black girls in '61. Really liked them a lot. But I was kinda boring to them, couldn't dance. I always felt there sothing burning inside I couldn't give then.

When you get older, you sort of stop "making friends" In Kansas, my best friend was NA, lived on a reservation. Decade ago, my only real friend for years was Japanese.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes absolutely. In fact, I have a 90 year old friend who I meet every single Friday evening at a local wine cellar, just to shoot the breeze over a glass of wine. I also have 19 year old friends who often come and hang out around my fire pit to cut up and joke around too.

I love the different ages. One thing that most of my friends have in common is their gender. Most of my close friends are female. All walks of life. Some retired, some not, some in college, some not. Some with careers, some stay at home moms, some single, some married, some divorced, some widowed, you name it.
Thats rare. I know older people that I like talking to and sharing stories but we aren't friends like that. I don't really do younger people than me. Thats almost illegal lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm Asian American and I've lived in the New Orleans, Baltimore, Charleston WV and Baton Rouge metro areas. In all fo these areas, at least 90% of my friends have been white and they've been very accepting of minorities who are assimilated. In the Baton Rouge area, blacks seem to not like to mix with other races but everyone else mixes pretty well.
Black people are segregated to north Baton Rouge, its not a Baton Rouge black person thing. If anything its almost impossible to see Asians without other Asians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I was 30 before LBJ said it was OK, but even then I had black friends in Now Orleans, even house guests, mixed parties. NO was always cool. Before that, in Mobile, I think I lost my job partly because I was a "troublemaker", too friendly with a couple of black employees. In California, dated two black girls in '61. Really liked them a lot. But I was kinda boring to them, couldn't dance. I always felt there sothing burning inside I couldn't give then.

When you get older, you sort of stop "making friends" In Kansas, my best friend was NA, lived on a reservation. Decade ago, my only real friend for years was Japanese.
New Orleans has always been racially accepting dating back to Spanish rule, black people (creole) held government seats and owned large companies before the Louisiana purchase.
But yes, I'm only 30 and I don't think I've made a real friend since college.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:42 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
......When my mom went on vacation to the northern states, she said "I was so glad to get back to Texas - I missed all the different shades of brown faces!"

Because those darker skinned people are there to be urban landscaping for her. How nice for her to have a nice balanced mix of skin color around her. I hope the local merchants painted their buildings colors that pleased her since colors that surround her are so important to her happiness.

I suspect you can't even understand how offensive that is.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:27 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Black people are segregated to north Baton Rouge, its not a Baton Rouge black person thing. If anything its almost impossible to see Asians without other Asians.
Depends on where you go. In parts of California where Asians are more established you can see Asians with others everywhere. In most hipster areas you're as likely to find black folks in mixed company than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
But yes, I'm only 30 and I don't think I've made a real friend since college.
Unfortunately that seems to be the case everywhere. People are also less likely to branch out when they make new acquaintances when they get older. People either socialize with others they had known for decades or only with people they know from work or church. I usually make casual friends or activity partners from interest groups and they are from different ethnic backgrounds, but because my interests draw few from the brown/black communities they're underrepresented. I'm fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.