Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Time Zones should Indiana and upper pennisula Michigan be in?
Both Indiana and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Eastern Time Zone with both observing Daylight Savings Time 6 24.00%
Both Indiana and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Central Time Zone with both observing Daylight Savings Time 9 36.00%
Indiana should be in the Eastern Time Zone and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Central Time Zone with both observing Daylight Savings Time 2 8.00%
Indiana should be in the Central Time Zone and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Eastern Time Zone with both observing Daylight Savings Time 2 8.00%
Both Indiana and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Eastern Time Zone with neither observing Daylight Savings Time 3 12.00%
Both Indiana and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Eastern Time Zone with only observing Indiana Daylight Savings Time 0 0%
Both Indiana and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Eastern Time Zone with only upper pennisula Michigan observing Daylight Savings Time 0 0%
Indiana should be in the Eastern Time Zone and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Central Time Zone with only UP Michigan observing DST 0 0%
Indiana should be in the Central Time Zone and upper pennisula Michigan should be in the Eastern Time Zone with only Indiana observing DST 0 0%
Other (please post what you think as a reply) 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 09:09 AM

629 posts, read 409,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

Why should it never have happened? On the global map I see the eastern time zone isn’t too far west, it is too far east.
Again, 360 degrees divided by 24 hours yields 15 degrees of longitude per hour...it's basic math.

The key element is Greenwich time minus 5 hours, or minus 6 hours (5 "hours" west of Greenwich) The actual names of the time zones is really immaterial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 09:43 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
Again, 360 degrees divided by 24 hours yields 15 degrees of longitude per hour...it's basic math.

The key element is Greenwich time minus 5 hours, or minus 6 hours (5 "hours" west of Greenwich) The actual names of the time zones is really immaterial.
So your assertion is that time zones should be based on perfectly divided geographic boundaries and not political ones?

Old 04-27-2022, 10:37 AM

I believe that time of day can best be based upon position of the sun, rather than where some corporation USED TO HAVE their headquarters

Old 04-27-2022, 10:48 AM

Let's focus on what YOU think for a moment. What supporting argument do you have for artificially keeping Indiana in the wrong timezone?

Old 04-27-2022, 11:22 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Let's focus on what YOU think for a moment. What supporting argument do you have for artificially keeping Indiana in the wrong timezone?
I never made assertions one way or another regarding Indiana being in the right or wrong time zone. I was asking you clarifying questions on your responses. My position is that in the real world these things are more nuanced, where as you are presenting yourself as if your opinion is simply a given fact.

Regardless of where the sun sets Indiana is hardly the worst example of seemingly stretched time zones. It’s not even the worst example within the eastern time zone itself. People tend to get fixated on the western edge of the eastern time zone being out of place. I suppose part of this has to do with how much the Atlantic seaboard tapers in on a map making it appear more out of place.

Last edited by mjlo; 04-27-2022 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-27-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
So your assertion is that time zones should be based on perfectly divided geographic boundaries and not political ones?
BTW, yeah, personally I'd be fine with that. But recognize some value in political adjustment to mitigate unreasonable hardships.

But as should already be abundantly clear from my earlier posts, I feel we have exceeded reason with adjustments already made, and corrective action is in order. ESPECIALLY in view of the possible adoption of permanent daylight savings time.

Too much politics being a bad idea, I guess one might say?

Old 04-27-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I never made assertions one way or another regarding Indiana being in the right or wrong time zone. I was asking you clarifying questions on your responses. My position is that in the real world these things are more nuanced, where as you are presenting yourself as if your opinion is simply a given fact.
When you use expressions such as " let folks in Michigan be damned" or "perfectly divided", it's challenging to believe there is no motive behind such expressions. That's why it felt as though you were trying to light a fuse.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Regardless of where the sun sets Indiana is hardly the worst example of seemingly stretched time zones. It’s not even the worst example within the eastern time zone itself. People tend to get fixated on the western edge of the eastern time zone being out of place. I suppose part of this has to do with how much the Atlantic seaboard tapers in on a map making it appear more out of place.
Generally, I try to not determine my own standards based upon what the worst that others endure might be. Just seems counterproductive?

And can't speak for others, but my agenda has no base upon the eastern coastline.

It's based upon the understanding that the barrier once was on the Indiana-Ohio line, it was changed to accommodate business interests who AT THAT TIME had their headquarters in New York...... Business models have since evolved, so should we.

In terms of the world at my fingertips, one could argue that Chicago now has MORE RELEVANCE to local business than New York City. Credit the rust belt mentality for the diminishing significance of East coast corporations.

We rightly belong in the Central (UTC -6) time zone, and the (likely) adoption of permanent daylight savings time will only compound that reality

Old 04-27-2022, 12:15 PM

If you were to go back to 1959, and make the argument "we want to move the clock ahead TWO hours"....I don't think that idea would have flown with anybody. They accepted one hour at that time, and it was purely standard time. No Daylight savings time.

Partial year Daylight Savings Time was implemented only early this century, and NOW they are talking about making DST a year-round affair. The cumulative effect (2 hours from solar norm) is excessive, IMO. Time to negate earlier mistakes, to make the new ones less objectionable.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:27 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right. That's why I said the decision to move Indiana to the Eastern time zone was a mistake, and that further making DST year-round would only compound that problem ( the "double whammy").

What I am advocating is that Indiana be moved back to the Central time zone, which would effectively move the clock BACK one hour.

Perhaps unclear in my initial post, but I'm not a fan of year-round DST. However I strongly suspect the zealots are going to go that route, regardless. What I am proposing is to try and mitigate that mistake by at least getting back in the proper time zone.
You're not really "compounding" the problem though, and that is assuming it is even a "problem" in the first place. If you have to catch the school bus at 6:30, there's no difference in December how close you are to the onset of civil twighlight. Full darkness is full darkness.

I'd be ok with moving to permanent CDT, though I admit I am not as emotionally invested as you seem to be. However, CST in winter is awful. I've lived it, it sucks. In fact, the Evansville Courier and Press used to run opinion pieces from folks in Evansville who wanted to join the rest of the state in the eastern time zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.