Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 06:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Go to a Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, Orioles or Cardinals game and thank me later lol.
Yeah, I totally believe you, but some MLB stadiums (like Cincinnati and Denver) are more boring than visiting a library on a Friday night. Mrs. Filson's 3rd grade class helps out with the national anthem, purchase a hot dog for breast cancer awareness, honor our brave servicemen and service women, race around the field in a plastic ball or whatever, fan cam, overpriced beer, 7th inning stretch, go home.

My wife and I left our last and only Rockies game in the 4th inning lol. I can think of 3 reasons to attend an MLB game 1) You like baseball AND have good seats 2) you're looking to get buzzed and hang out with friends, 3) you're visiting a classic stadium or team with a real sense of culture, identity and history.

Last edited by Jame22; 03-26-2022 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 06:46 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
It could be a city or a full state. Pick a place you really do not like, and say something complimentary about it.
I could go on all day about the amazing weather and beautiful scenery of California.

It's neat, driving over the Louisiana wetlands on I-10.

A lot of interesting history took place in Pennsylvania.

The subway system in New York provides excellent coverage of the city.

Seattle's light rail (really, it's practically a light metro) should be used as a guide on how to build an effective urban rail system without having to go "all-in" on a hugely expensive heavy-rail subway system.

One can tour the battleship New Jersey in Camden, NJ.

The World War II Museum in New Orleans is a fascinating place and well worth a visit.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:01 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
California is a beautiful state.
And it's on the other side of the country !

Which is aptly called "The left coast."

Old 03-26-2022, 08:14 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I thoroughly enjoy being an a-hole online so I love this question. Some of these are just based upon my personal experiences and bias, but here we go;

Florida- I’m not a beach person, but I really enjoyed the beaches in Fort Meyers. The older I get the more I appreciate being able to skip winter.

Pittsburgh- I definitely don’t hate the city, but I’m a Browns fan and I do hate the Steelers. I haven’t spent much time in Cleveland or Pittsburgh, but from what I can gather, I’d much rather live in Pittsburgh.

Athens, OH. I dislike it because the culture sucks and the people are kind of weird. They’re overly confident about how great OU is and how “chill” and friendly they are, but boy is it beautiful. I think it might be the most beautiful town I’ve ever spent time in.

Huron, OH - can I get some seasoning on my food? Everyone still thinks it’s 1976 and it’s a little unsettling. American Italian food, hamburgers, milkshakes, potato salads and Pepsi are the standard and everything else is “weird”. Good - it is close to Cedar Point and not quite as depressing as nearby towns (Bucyrus and Willard for example). They’ve got some cool beaches too.

Texas Hill County-the people are nut jobs, wanna be ranchers, afraid of anything that moves. Closed minded. The good- it’s kind of creepy, but in a cool way. Nothing like watching a windmill on an abandoned ranch dance in the wind in front of an approaching thunderstorm. The mix of southwest and southeast plants is cool too. Overall, I enjoyed my time there even though I had some bad experiences with the people (I worked in utilities)

Louisiana - I’d never want to live there but it’s fun as hell, especially if you’re susceptible to drinking too much. New Orleans truly feels like a unique place, it has a dark but vibrant energy that I’ve never felt anywhere else. I got chills just from entering the city and seeing the above ground graves visible from I-10
Enjoyed this list. Didn't spend much time in Athens when passing through, but your description reminds me of Bellingham, WA (also a naturally beautiful place, low forested mountains nearby which already reminded me of southeast OH).

Really want to check out the TX Hill Country after reading that description, sounds pretty cool.

I'll also list a few more places:

Indiana: mostly just tired of it --- extended family lives across the state, so regularly went there growing up in IL. I've grown to appreciate the Midwest more since I've left, and the southern part of the state along the Ohio River looks pretty from the bit of streetviewing I've done. In Madison in particular, you can tell you're getting close to Appalachia.

Tri-Cities, WA: essentially three tiny towns with the sprawling suburbs lifted from a mid-sized city, and WSU Tri-Cities might be the most unattractive college campus I've seen. However, the towns' history is interesting (Manhattan Project, PNW National Lab), and I like the semi-intentional '40s/'50s aesthetic that certain businesses and strip malls have, evoking that history.

Northern Virginia: mostly bland newer sprawl outside of Arlington/Alexandria, with a lot of this faux-historic red brick construction I got tired of. But I like how forested a lot of the region is, and the W&OD bike trail has a few cool, genuinely old town cores along it (Herndon, Leesburg, Falls Church etc). I used that trail a lot getting from my apartment to the Metro stations, since I didn't have a car at the time.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
In Toledo, from the elevated lanes of the freeway, there are some grrat views of old 19th century architecture.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:54 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,166,211 times
The airport is only a twenty minutes ride from downtown Tulsa.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:54 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Huron, OH - can I get some seasoning on my food? Everyone still thinks it’s 1976 and it’s a little unsettling. American Italian food, hamburgers, milkshakes, potato salads and Pepsi are the standard and everything else is “weird”.
I could spend the rest of my life in Huron and never go hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
WSU Tri-Cities might be the most unattractive college campus I've seen.
Ilisagvic College in Utqiagvik (Barrow), Alaska has entered the chat.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/I%...!1BCgIgARICCAI

Old 03-26-2022, 10:45 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
The most depressing place I've ever been to was Joplin, Missouri. I was passing through on a cross-country drive and it was well-placed to spend a night. Maybe I just saw the bypass road and the downtown was nicer, but man oh man that bypass road was UGLY. It had the most chain restaurants I have ever seen, each with a garish illuminated sign jutting out over the side of the road. Looking down the road from a certain angle all you saw were neon and blinking signs for restaurants, gas stations, motels, etc. The kind of sprawl you find near an interstate exit is invariably ugly but this was the ugliest I've ever seen.

So what was good? There were a lot of dining options on a short stretch of road. I went to Arby's.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:46 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
If you live in Las Vegas... there's no state income tax to pay.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:39 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Somebody once said "My favorite bar in Dallas is the departure lounge at the airport."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.