Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 12:19 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
Albuquerque may be the smallest but it's not really lacking for anything, especially compared to Tucson. Tucson is not some some more advanced city than Albuquerque in any way. And despite having about 130,000 more people it has a smaller economy and metro GDP, less jobs and lesser amenities such as its airport, not having an aquarium, etc. Las Vegas is three times bigger and an international caliber city in some ways, Phoenix is five times bigger than Albuquerque, but on a per capita basis we can compete with both on many things. Albuquerque is a well-rounded city that has most everything anybody would want. We are the hub of our entire state and have amenities and features to go along with that. Albuquerque carries its own self along and doesn't need to rely on places an hour away or bigger cities nearby to make us more appealing. We have everything right here in the city that makes us great.
ABQ and TUS airports are extremely similar sized. I've flown out of both several times.

Also, having Phoenix nearby is a major benefit, as much as Tucsonians don't like to admit it. As a kid, any time we wanted to go shopping at IKEA or go to a major league sports game, Phoenix was an easy 1.5 hr drive away. Having access to a major hub airport like Sky Harbor is also very convenient. If you want to do the same in Albuquerque, you're basically out of luck as the closest place with big city amenities is probably Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 12:37 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Quote:
Albuquerque has the more pleasant summer climate, facts don't lie. Triple degree temperatures are not pleasant anywhere or for most people. And Fresno averages 38 days a year of those, more than twelve times as many as Albuquerque on our high end. Mountain cities probably get a pass on heat because they just don't see it usually, especially not extreme heat. People in Albuquerque don't have to go anywhere an hour away in the summer to cool off, we just don't get that hot here in the city.

https://abc30.com/fresno-heat-record...days/11002484/

As for crime, I don't have to lie about anything. The facts are on my side. Carjacking capital? No. We topped the list for most stolen vehicles years ago and ever since we've dropped and dropped, 5 years of drops. I hope you're being honest about crime and Fresno overall. I rarely hear about Fresno, but when I do it is people mocking, poking fun and deriding it. It's not known as an especially nice or dynamic place to live at all.

https://www.cabq.gov/police/news/apd...-straight-year

https://www.cabq.gov/police/news/aut...-albuquerque-1

You're almost 5.5k feet elevation. It's not going to feel the same way as flat land during the summer.
For example, Low 90s in Fresno feel amazing to okay to whatever(depends on some variables). I never felt any lovely, much less amazing low 90 days in Utah (4500 feet). Sun was just too strong to make it feel lovely. Same goes for low 100s in Fresno. It can feel nice at times, it's not always annoying or bad. Low 100s in Utah felt plain BRUTAL, even with low humidity.

1 hour of drive time is nothing, but okay. And you don't need to drive 1hr just to cool off. 30-40 minutes is usually good enough.

Anyways, what I'm saying isn't that Fresno has better summers than ABQ, not saying that, just saying that it's closer than people realize because of elevation. Were just gonna have to agree to disagree, I think.

Not going to debate you on Fresno crime vs ABQ crime. Just gonna say that you have no idea how much hate Albuquerque would receive if it were closer to California. High murder rate AND high theft rate, people would be going off on it if it were closer to the coast. You're lucky ABQ is so far away.

Take care

Old 05-31-2022, 12:56 PM

282 posts, read 217,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
ABQ and TUS airports are extremely similar sized. I've flown out of both several times.

Also, having Phoenix nearby is a major benefit, as much as Tucsonians don't like to admit it. As a kid, any time we wanted to go shopping at IKEA or go to a major league sports game, Phoenix was an easy 1.5 hr drive away. Having access to a major hub airport like Sky Harbor is also very convenient. If you want to do the same in Albuquerque, you're basically out of luck as the closest place with big city amenities is probably Denver.
Tucson's airport handles significantly less passengers than Albuquerque's and offers less destinations. In 2019, before the pandemic, Tucson had about 3.8 million passengers, Albuquerque had about 5.4 million. During the pandemic, Tucson last year had 2.3 million passengers, Albuquerque had 3.4 million. Albuquerque's Sunport has service from 9 major airlines, Tucson's airport has service from 5 major airlines. Albuquerque's airport terminal has 600,000 sq ft of space, Tucson's airport terminal has 382,000 sq ft of space. Albuquerque's airport has 25 gates, Tucson's airport has 18. Albuquerque's airport has direct freeway access, Tucson's airport has access only from city streets.

Again, Albuquerque has virtually everything we need here, we don't have to go elsewhere. From our airport we can hop a direct flight to New York City and be in the greatest city in the world. No need to drive an hour away or connect through another airport.

Last edited by DukeCityDenizen; 05-31-2022 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-31-2022, 01:08 PM

141 posts, read 90,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Tucson is a nice gritty town. I like it much better than Vegas, but for weather and outdoor activities Vegas is light years ahead of Tucson. Greater variety and easier access.
Huh? Tucson has Sabino Canyon, Mt. Lemon and several other great options easily accessible. Vegas has some good options too, but they're not nearly as accessible. I also find Tucson's desert landscape to be more interesting.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
You're almost 5.5k feet elevation. It's not going to feel the same way as flat land during the summer.
For example, Low 90s in Fresno feel amazing to okay to whatever(depends on some variables). I never felt any lovely, much less amazing low 90 days in Utah (4500 feet). Sun was just too strong to make it feel lovely. Same goes for low 100s in Fresno. It can feel nice at times, it's not always annoying or bad. Low 100s in Utah felt plain BRUTAL, even with low humidity.

1 hour of drive time is nothing, but okay. And you don't need to drive 1hr just to cool off. 30-40 minutes is usually good enough.

Anyways, what I'm saying isn't that Fresno has better summers than ABQ, not saying that, just saying that it's closer than people realize because of elevation. Were just gonna have to agree to disagree, I think.

Not going to debate you on Fresno crime vs ABQ crime. Just gonna say that you have no idea how much hate Albuquerque would receive if it were closer to California. High murder rate AND high theft rate, people would be going off on it if it were closer to the coast. You're lucky ABQ is so far away.

Take care
Why would Albuquerque receive such hate being nearer or in California? California has plenty of crime and theft in all of its cities. Sacramento just had those horrible killings in its Downtown area that received such national attention. San Francisco has the smash and grabs, LA has the hostile homeless issues on the beach. San Bernardino is out of control for murders. Stockton is bad for crime. Fresno has issues with crime as well, with a double murder just this morning. Bakersfield has issues with crime and theft as well. In fact, auto theft in Bakersfield is up rather than down like it is in Albuquerque, and it is now the worst city in the nation for auto theft.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/101...ost-car-thefts

California has absolutely no room to talk about crime or any social issues to be all high and mighty about it.

Look, I don't like to slag cities on anything, much less crime, which we have a problem with in Albuquerque, but when people and places are dealing with their own problems with crime, yet try to trash Albuquerque for ours, I must speak out about that.

With the weather, I'll try to end with this, Fresno averages 170 days a year of temperatures higher than 80 degrees, Albuquerque averages 139. The intensity and brightness factor of the sun is not a major factor in how pleasant heat feels, I'd rather have very little heat or extreme heat in the first place, and intense or bright sun, than have to deal with as many 100 degree days as you all saw last year.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

Last edited by DukeCityDenizen; 05-31-2022 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-31-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Why would Albuquerque receive such hate being nearer or in California? California has plenty of crime and theft in all of its cities. Sacramento just had those horrible killings in its Downtown area that received such national attention. San Francisco has the smash and grabs, LA has the hostile homeless issues on the beach. San Bernardino is out of control for murders. Stockton is bad for crime. Fresno has issues with crime as well, with a double murder just this morning. Bakersfield has issues with crime and theft as well. In fact, auto theft in Bakersfield is up rather than down like it is in Albuquerque, and it is now the worst city in the nation for auto theft.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/101...ost-car-thefts

California has absolutely no room to talk about crime or any social issues to be all high and mighty about it.

Look, I don't like to slag cities on anything, much less crime, which we have a problem with in Albuquerque, but when people and places are dealing with their own problems with crime, yet try to trash Albuquerque for ours, I must speak out about that.

With the weather, I'll try to end with this, Fresno averages 170 days a year of temperatures higher than 80 degrees, Albuquerque averages 139. The intensity and brightness factor of the sun is not a major factor in how pleasant heat feels, I'd rather have very little heat or extreme heat in the first place, and intense or bright sun, than have to deal with as many 100 degree days as you all saw last year.

100f temps aren't everything in weather. Sacramento gets 4x+ more 100f temps than Albuquerque, yet I still rather spend a summer in Sacramento than in Albuquerque. Fresno summers are in between Sacramento and vegas in heat most years. It's a downgrade from Albuquerque for sure, but it's not as large as you're making it out to be. I could go on, but I'll stop here.

Albuquerque is the most violent large city(500k) in the entire Western usa. Of course people would freak out about it. People freak out over Sacramento crime and Sacramento crime isn't close to Albuquerque crime. Trust me, youd hear a lot of jokes going Albuquerques way if it were a short drive away.

Take care

Old 05-31-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
100f temps aren't everything in weather. Sacramento gets 4x+ more 100f temps than Albuquerque, yet I still rather spend a summer in Sacramento than in Albuquerque. Fresno summers are in between Sacramento and vegas in heat most years. It's a downgrade from Albuquerque for sure, but it's not as large as you're making it out to be. I could go on, but I'll stop here.

Albuquerque is the most violent large city(500k) in the entire Western usa. Of course people would freak out about it. People freak out over Sacramento crime and Sacramento crime isn't close to Albuquerque crime. Trust me, youd hear a lot of jokes going Albuquerques way if it were a short drive away.

Take care
Fresno has many more days of heat in the summer than Albuquerque, that's just a fact. And Fresno weather being more pleasant than Albuquerque was what you were initially trying to claim. Fresno has extreme heat, that's not pleasant at all. 69 days of 100 degrees in just one year versus Albuquerque with 53 total in the last 22 years! Sorry, but Fresno is an absolute inferno compared to Albuquerque!

Sacramento is indeed also hotter than Albuquerque. 158 days over 80 degrees each year on average, 23 having triple digit heat. You must enjoy heat, not me, I'd rather be here in Albuquerque during the summer.

But we're not talking about Sacramento here, which is an infinitely better city than Fresno, which you inserted into the conversation. I mean, for as much as you bring other locals and cities into the conversation for Fresno, it looks like the real answer is to live somewhere other than Fresno!

As for crime, again, clean up your own cities in California and deal with your own severe crime and social issues, then you can try to talk down to others! It's absolutely ridiculous to try to gloat over Albuquerque for crime when you have the type of stuff going on in California and Fresno!

Old 05-31-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Fresno has many more days of heat in the summer than Albuquerque, that's just a fact. And Fresno weather being more pleasant than Albuquerque was what you were initially trying to claim. Fresno has extreme heat, that's not pleasant at all. 69 days of 100 degrees in just one year versus Albuquerque with 53 total in the last 22 years! Sorry, but Fresno is an absolute inferno compared to Albuquerque!

Sacramento is indeed also hotter than Albuquerque. 158 days over 80 degrees each year on average, 23 having triple digit heat. You must enjoy heat, not me, I'd rather be here in Albuquerque during the summer.

But we're not talking about Sacramento here, which is an infinitely better city than Fresno, which you inserted into the conversation. I mean, for as much as you bring other locals and cities into the conversation for Fresno, it looks like the real answer is to live somewhere other than Fresno!

As for crime, again, clean up your own cities in California and deal with your own severe crime and social issues, then you can try to talk down to others! It's absolutely ridiculous to try to gloat over Albuquerque for crime when you have the type of stuff going on in California and Fresno!
Lol
You keep going on about 69 days of 100. That's almost double the average. The average is almost half that. Youre acting like that's every summer.
Speaking of last year, Nite times were surprisingly lovely because of all the wind. Nites definitely weren't hellish, I actually enjoyed them.

I brought up Sacramento because I wanted to show you that 100f days aren't everything, and that There are lots of variables when it comes to weather. looking at a simple chart doesn't tell the full story. On paper, Albuquerque has better summers than Sacramento , but in reality, Sacramento wins out to me and to many others(low elevation, and being near the coast helps Sacramento out. Albuquerque is FAR from any coastal cooling)
Fresno weather usually sits at somewhere in between Sacramento and vegas during the summer. So, yes, Fresno does get summer ocean
cooling, just not near as much as Sacramento does.

Calling Albuquerque the most violent large city in the west Is a fact. If you dont want people to bring it up, tell your leaders to fix the crime problems. I don't think I gloated at all, I've been pretty civil with you. Anywho, this has taken a left turn, so I'm done.
Goodbye

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 05-31-2022 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-31-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Lol
You keep going on about 69 days of 100. That's almost double the average. The average is almost half that. Youre acting like that's every summer.
Speaking of last year, Nite times were surprisingly lovely because of all the wind. Nites definitely weren't hellish, I actually enjoyed them.

I brought up Sacramento because I wanted to show you that 100f days aren't everything, and that There are lots of variables when it comes to weather, looking at a simple chart doesn't tell the full story. On paper, Albuquerque has better summers than Sacramento , but in reality, Sacramento wins out to me and to many others(low elevation, and being near the coast helps Sacramento out. Albuquerque is FAR from any coastal cooling)
Fresno weather usually sits at somewhere in between Sacramento and vegas during the summer. So, yes, Fresno does get summer ocean
cooling, just not near as much as Sacramento does.

Calling Albuquerque the most violent large city in the west Is a fact. If you dont want people to bring it up, tell your leaders to fix the crime problems. I don't think I gloated at all, I've been pretty civil with you. Anywho, this has taken a left turn, so I'm done.
Goodbye
Hey, how about you tell your leaders to fix the crime and severe societal issues in California and Fresno! You have plenty of them too. 74 murders in Fresno last year. Extreme wealth inequality between places like San Jose and Fresno, 24 percent poverty in Fresno, etc.

Albuquerque, because of its location in the high desert, cools down incredibly at night in the summer, with lows often reaching down into the 60s at night. Again, we don't have to go anywhere to escape the heat. And there's not much heat here to begin with! Albuquerque also is very breezy and has the East Canyon Winds, monsoon rains, etc. to help us through the heat we do get in summer. The 2 or 3 days on average of triple digit temps in Albuquerque during summer are nothing with low humidity and a nice breeze, trust me. Slogging through more than a month on average of triple digits temps with much higher humidity in Fresno sounds like a nightmare to me. No wonder you all have to escape to somewhere cooler!

Old 05-31-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Hey, how about you tell your leaders to fix the crime and severe societal issues in California and Fresno! You have plenty of them too. 74 murders in Fresno last year. Extreme wealth inequality between places like San Jose and Fresno, 24 percent poverty in Fresno, etc.

Albuquerque, because of its location in the high desert, cools down incredibly at night in the summer, with lows often reaching down into the 60s at night. Again, we don't have to go anywhere to escape the heat. And there's not much heat here to begin with! Albuquerque also is very breezy and has the East Canyon Winds, monsoon rains, etc. to help us through the heat we do get in summer. The 2 or 3 days on average of triple digit temps in Albuquerque during summer are nothing with low humidity and a nice breeze, trust me. Slogging through more than a month on average of triple digits temps with much higher humidity in Fresno sounds like a nightmare to me. No wonder you all have to escape to somewhere cooler!
We get plenty of 60f mornings at my house(I have a properly set up outdoor thermometer) during the summer. It can get as dry in Fresno as Albuquerque during some parts of the summer. It's not uncommon to see Fresno drier than Vegas for weeks at a time. But, okay, you figured it all out because you read some graphs.
Take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.