Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 05:05 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Again, it is not alone, lots of places nearby are every bit as scenic, I live in one of those nearby places. Asheville has other things going for it too, but it doesn't have a monopoly on scenic Appalachian beauty.
This is your opinion and I have mine. I stand by it…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 06:08 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
This is your opinion and I have mine. I stand by it…
You're arguing that places within a 60 mile radius can't be as scenic? okaaaay

Old 04-08-2022, 08:37 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You're arguing that places within a 60 mile radius can't be as scenic? okaaaay
Obviously, there are other scenic places in western NC….

Old 04-15-2023, 09:29 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody777 View Post
Blairstown, NJ

Black Mountain, NC

Delaware Water Gap, PA

Demascus, Va

These towns run into the A.T, and hold such beauty, with supportive friendly open people.
If you like that lifestyle, these towns are great!
Do you mean Damascus, Virginia? I am not sure where Demascus is.

All these places look like beautiful small towns near the mountains, I am not sure I would not call any of them cities though.

Welcome to City-Data btw.

Old 04-15-2023, 12:19 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Other than cheaper real estate, can’t imagine why anyone would choose Greenville over Asheville.
The job market is much better in Greenville, especially for industrial and related jobs. Plus it's a bit closer to the beach.

Some people might find the overwhelming far leftness of Asheville annoying, and I say this as a Democrat.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:14 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papad622 View Post
Sad to say I’m probably going to be removing my family from the Western US in the next few years, for climate change reasons (wildfire, drought, unbearable heat, etc.)

We are big on scenery, greenery, hiking, and wilderness stuff.

Some cities we have in mind:

Madison WI
Roanoke VA
Charlottesville VA

could I get some more suggestions from you guys?

Thanks in advance!
Good luck with the heat thing in Virginia and Wisconsin.

Gets pretty hot in summer and summers are pretty humid. Plenty of places out west with more comfortable summers. Many parts of Virginia have already hit the 90s multiple times and it’s only April.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:29 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
Tallahassee
New Orleans
St. Louis
Toledo
Tulsa
Galveston
Charleston WV

Old 04-17-2023, 07:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
It's possible to ride a bike from downtown Pittsburgh to downtown Washington D.C. on an exclusive right of way.

Also, an hour to the southeast of Pittsburgh are the Laurel Highlands, one of the most underrated outdoor recreation destinations in the Eastern U.S.

The city itself has a good park system as well.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:48 PM

221 posts, read 114,214 times
First choice would be Pittsburgh or Cincinnati due to topography.

Another surprising choice; Atlanta. It’s a city in the woods; surrounded by trees and forestry, good hiking and outdoorsy stuff. Nice lakes like Lanier. Nice parks nearby many of them state parks and forests. The whole North Georgia region. Nice urbanish “mountains” like Stone and Kennesaw. Hills everywhere; it’s a fun city to drive in. All that almost makes up for being an inland city not on a body of water. Of all the sunbelt cities it’s IMO probably one of the prettiest ones. And plenty of new housing. Given the abundance of pines and other types of trees you don’t see in the NE I always feel like I’m quasi camping when I’m down there. It’s not bad despite the sprawl.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:50 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,845 times
Chattanooga
Atlanta
Huntsville
Wheeling, WV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.