Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2022, 01:05 PM

17 posts, read 18,260 times

Advertisements

I know it's a long comparison and there are a lot of these types of posts here and other websites which I'm reading just as a quick first note.
I will add some research links here later as there may be others doing a similar comparison search.

There are the stereotypes of these places and the realities and things have changed quickly in the past few years.
I've read a lot of threads but some are 5-10 years old so it's difficult to gauge an area as each person's experience varies.

I'm looking into relocating to somewhere in the mountainous Northeast USA, Canada or similar places out West.
Here's the list of areas I'm considering:

Northern New York (Albany area, Adirondacks region)
Vermont
New Hampshire
Northern Maine (Northern mountain area West to East)
Idaho
Montana
Canada

I chose these places primarily for the colder climate, mountains with lakes and am focusing on small towns/villages and not major urban areas.
My main concern is finding a place that isn't too extreme in any political direction and culture and has a good public library and some sort of civic minded community if that even exists anymore.
I've read many threads and conflicting reports. You have the usual views that if you're not born there then you don't belong there, etc.

From a quick read it sounds like finding work in Vermont will be difficult due to less jobs there as that's how they do things there and that's ok. Most of it sounds very liberal as compared to parts of New Hampshire. Some people made jokes they skipped over VT and NH and ended up in Maine. For those who are independent, moderate or just prefer some peace I wonder if there is such a place, at least a small town or county, that is or tries to be more or less "balanced" between the USA political duopoly extremes and focuses on common sense.

I'm not interested in going into places telling them how they should change, but rather learn about the history of each place and see where I might "fit in the best" and work with what's there as no place is perfect. Obviously in big cities you can get lost in the crowd versus not completely fitting in with some small rural area and there are more jobs in the NJ/NYC/CT greater metro area for example but I'm looking to get out of that area's sphere of influence.

I'm a truck driver and my job is in demand everywhere partially due to lack of drivers but also due to companies not paying enough so I have a higher chance finding a job in most places.
I won't be stealing housing from anyone if that's a concern especially in the current market as I can live in the truck/hotel and eventually find/build something like a tiny home, off grid place, trailer, rv, etc if local codes allow that as I prefer to live quietly spending my time hiking and reading when not working.

My profile and post history has a few more details and I'm doing my own research here, on Quora, Gmaps, etc.

Minimum goals
- Good public library, a location with individual rooms for quiet work even better
- A USPS office with Poboxes
- At least one grocery store in the area
- Climate controlled self-storage facility
- A Park & Ride lot for travel by transit out of the area
- Access to mountains and lakes for hiking
- A gym with showers
In short: a small town/village with basic services and access to nature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 01:51 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
The Plattsburgh area across Lake Champlain from VT appears to be a happy medium

Old 04-09-2022, 09:17 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Canada... on a work visa or immigration? I am under impression both are tough.

I dunno how many criteria they meet, but I'd check Old Town Maine and Glens Falls NY. Maybe Brattlebro, VT.

For Idaho / Montana: Post Falls or Rathdrum ID or maybe Mountain Home or Burley. Helena MT.

Most of the places I mentioned are above village size but you might have to go that level to get all your requests. But look at satellite towns to these places if you want.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-09-2022 at 10:37 PM..

Old 04-11-2022, 09:40 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
I just noticed Elizabethtown NY. Might be a option worth exploring. I probably went thru a few times long ago but have no memories. Hiking directly from town might be available. At 1100 people it might not have the amenities you want but mentioning anyways for being what I consider village sized..

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-11-2022 at 10:01 PM..

Old 04-11-2022, 10:37 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The Plattsburgh area across Lake Champlain from VT appears to be a happy medium
Just to add, there is Amtrak service to the area including villages such as Rouses Point by the Canadian border and Port Kent to the north and south of Plattsburgh, respectively. https://www.amtrak.com/adirondack-train

Rouses Point is also a NYPA customer. Meaning, it has lower electric rates. Same for Plattsburgh.

Some Rouses Point info., which is also minutes from Montreal: https://www.rousespointny.com/
https://www.rousespointny.com/depart...ment/index.php
https://goo.gl/maps/RUpFTVwUymR5fjB36

Champlain is a nearby village in which both villages are in the town of the same name and share a school district with(Northeastern Clinton): https://www.goadirondack.com/entries/champlain-ny
HOME
https://www.townofchamplain.com/

Old 04-15-2022, 09:13 AM

37 posts, read 36,937 times
NH is very very conservative. Could be a plus, or a minus depending on who you are.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:42 PM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
Really can’t beat North Idaho.

Politically independent
Amazing access to Mountain Ranges in both United States and Canada
Good climate for snow sports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.