Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 08:55 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatravelinguy View Post
Houston's Hispanic demographics look way more like that of LA than it does Miami. By this I mean it has and will continue to have a predominate Mexican population with smaller groups of growing Central American populations and some growing Caribbean/South American populations whose numbers won't ever be enough to influence Houston the way they do Miami. Caribbean/South American populations will continue to opt to settle in S. Fla, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte or in the Northeast where they have close ties and more flights may be available to their homelands even though Houston offers a number a flights to these areas.
I think Houston's South American population are larger than most cities on the East Coast but yes, the West Indian population will never reach a level that you see in the Northeast plus Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 09:16 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
very unlikely.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Miami is completely Latin/Caribbean dominated. Spanish is the language of business and Hispanics have almost all the power in the area. Houston is honestly too diverse to really be the end all be all of one region the way Miami is for Latin America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
True but so is NYC .
NYC is what too? Certainly not completely Latin and Carribean dominated.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I know West Indians very well and the answer is no.

Florida, Atlanta, Maryland, and even North Carolina are bigger draws for them than Houston outside of the Northeast.
yea. this is my read.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:45 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
As to the comparisons to Miami, I dont think so. Miami is completely Latin/Caribbean dominated. Spanish is the language of business and Hispanics have almost all the power in the area. Houston is honestly too diverse to really be the end all be all of one region the way Miami is for Latin America.
A monolingual Spanish speaker in Houston will barely make ends meet.

English is the language of business in Houston (like the rest of the U.S.) due to diversity. Most Hispanics are bilingual with various levels of English proficiency (opposing with U.S. born Hispanics in various levels of Spanish proficiency).

But the language barrier does not rule out being a regional anchor. A critical mass of fluently bilingual workers effectively bridges over the language barrier that once separated the two regions.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:28 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
No I don’t think so. Houston is a melting pot but it doesn’t have the vibe of a Latin American city like Miami does. I don’t ever see that happening.

Somehow the Cubans gained control of the power structure in Miami. In Houston the political influence of Mexicans and other Hispanic groups is weak.
The former Houston police chief was Cuban (current is Black) and the current County Commissioner is Colombian (predecessor was White Republican). The mayor of Houston is Black and the HISD Superintendent is Black even though the school district is predominantly Hispanic. On the business side, like most of Corporate America, the predominant influence is White (e.g., Greater Houston Partnership).

Houston embraces ethnic diversity, and there is by and large harmonization throughout the community. I don’t see Houston becoming a Latin American powerhouse though.
Your assessment is spot on in regards to Miami. I don't think you will find another Major American city where almost the entire political, economic and cultural spectrum is completely dominated by the Hispanic population.
It really is unique in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.