Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 08:59 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Denver certainly feels Midwestern to me. The downtown buildings and the housing styles of urban neighborhoods are very, very Midwestern looking.

The spirit of the people may not be Midwestern but the landscape and the built environment is certainly Midwestern, IMO.
I can see the built environment a little bit and even the people since there are quite a few transplants from all over. But the dry landscape of the High Plains is not a characteristic of most of the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 09:08 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Denver certainly feels Midwestern to me. The downtown buildings and the housing styles of urban neighborhoods are very, very Midwestern looking.

The spirit of the people may not be midwestern but the landscape and the built environment is certainly midwestern, IMO.
I don't think of mountain views, dry weather, wildfires, high altitude, outdoorsy people, and democrat voting suburbs when I think of the midwest. Nobody says "ope!" The landscape is anything but typical midwestern, its very stereotypical western. Straight north of Denver is part of the transition between midwest and western/mountain west regions.

The brick definitely gives the urban neighborhoods a more midwestern look but how's that different than Salt Lake City?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:34 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
Denver isn’t a mountain city (the mountains are what, 70 miles away?). It is a flat prairie city with prairie grass and cottonwood trees. The horizon to the west certainly doesn’t look like the Midwest though.

It’s the style of the homes, the colour of the brick and trim (beige, maroon and brown) the window sizes and placement (the huge picture window on a rancher/ bungalow /prairie style house is very Midwestern). It’s the brick mid-rise and high -rise apartment buildings downtown. When you get out of downtown the burbs are pretty indistinguishable from neighborhoods from Ohio to California. Those single, large and paneless windows sprinkled throughout the burbs aren’t found that often in the North and Southeast.

To me the aesthetic is pretty Midwestern. The people are just basic suburban American, my family members included.

I’ve never been to SLC so I can’t comment. I assume it has a lot in common with Denver but Denver’s core is probably closer to Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha and Kansas City.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:55 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Denver isn’t a mountain city (the mountains are what, 70 miles away?). It is a flat prairie city with prairie grass and cottonwood trees. The horizon to the west certainly doesn’t look like the Midwest though.
Your description is very vague. What’s an example of a larger city in the Midwest that looks like Denver when it comes to landscape?

Last edited by Mezter; 05-02-2022 at 11:06 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 11:06 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Louisville.

Coming at it from the south, it doesn't feel "southern" at all but very Rust Belt-ish.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:34 AM

461 posts, read 546,057 times
Quote:
Denver isn’t a mountain city (the mountains are what, 70 miles away?).
If Golden is "the mountains" then Denver is 15 miles away. Idaho Springs is certainly in the mountains and 35 miles from Denver.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:44 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
I see Denver as having some clear Midwestern qualities. A lot of eastern Colorado does.

Tulsa (like Louisville) is at the confluence of Midwest and South.

St Louis is in the Midwest, but feels like something from the eastern US to me. The westernmost eastern city in a way.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:49 AM

503 posts, read 800,270 times
Denver is not the Midwest…

The DC area is a good combination of the Northeast and South. Fort Worth is South meets West. Kansas City feels like Midwest meets West a little bit to me.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:

It’s the style of the homes, the colour of the brick and trim (beige, maroon and brown) the window sizes and placement (the huge picture window on a rancher/ bungalow /prairie style house is very Midwestern). It’s the brick mid-rise and high -rise apartment buildings downtown. When you get out of downtown the burbs are pretty indistinguishable from neighborhoods from Ohio to California. Those single, large and paneless windows sprinkled throughout the burbs aren’t found that often in the North and Southeast.

To me the aesthetic is pretty Midwestern. The people are just basic suburban American, my family members included.

I’ve never been to SLC so I can’t comment. I assume it has a lot in common with Denver but Denver’s core is probably closer to Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha and Kansas City.
How many times do I have to show people how close we are to the mountains? I can be there in 30 minutes from my apartment downtown. 20mins if I speed.

So people in other cities aren't basic suburban Americans? What makes Tacoma/San Diego/San Jose residents so incredibly unique?

Homes built with mountain views and high plains desert fauna also aren't quintessential to the midwest.

Green chile is one of the most popular dishes, that's definitely not coming from Italian and Scandinavian heritage found in the midwest, the gold mines and Pikes Peak gold rush are more connected to western history, none such exists in the midwest. Hispanic culture has been here for centuries as well, thats not true for any midwestern state. The upper midwest has a much closer connection with Canada while we are much more connected to Mexico.

I see a connection to the western/northern plains but not the heart of the midwest like Cleveland or Detroit, we're just too far away.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:53 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The people seem Midwestern as well. Very nice.
I've never met a Coloradan who is even remotely Midweatern. The attitude there is far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.