Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2022, 07:45 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,606,034 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving over there from Shreveport and buying a house there that's under $200,000, of which I see several houses like that on real estate websites. The mild summers in Arcata are nice as would be the more progressive political climate. Some of my neighbors have been unhinged lately. I'm potentially going to do this as soon as May 2025.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 08:57 AM

102,266 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Any house at that price would be a mobile home in Arcata. Don't be in such a rush. In the meantime, your #1 priority should be to find a good trauma therapist, who offers the EMDR technique I mentioned on your other thread. Once you get relief from your trauma memories, you'll be able to take charge of your health, improve your sleep, and lose some weight. OP, you should go about this, as if your life depends on it, because you're headed for diabetes, and that is a horrible, degenerative disease that sends people to an early grave, and makes some go blind in the process. You won't be any good as a teacher, if you go blind.

That actually happened to a friend of mine. She was a university art instructor and an internationally known artist, and one day she woke up blind. Talk about panic! She'd never even been diagnosed with diabetes, though it ran in the family, so she was being monitored for it. She managed to bring down her blood sugar level in a frantic 3 weeks of using a stair stepper twice daily, as her livelihood depended on her getting her disease under control, and regaining her eyesight. Her doctor's office said it was unheard of, for someone to turn it around that fast (if at all). But she's had to fight her disease for the rest of her career.

Don't let it happen to you, OP! Take care of yourself. Be good to yourself. Get a grip on your emotional eating, and get professional help with that emotional baggage. Then, once you're on a more even keel, a healthier keel, (this doesn't have to take a long time. Let your desire to move be your motivation to heal yourself), you can put your plans in motion to relocate to Humboldt County.

And while we're on the topic of Arcata/Humboldt, are you aware, that CA has some special requirements for out-of-state teachers transferring their certificates to CA schools? Have you researched that? CA has some special hoops for out-of-state teachers to jump through, to get CA certification. I'm not sure if it involves additional education, or what it's about.

Do not brush aside your health concerns, OP. That's key to your overall success, well-being, and happiness. Sure, it's more fun to fantasize about a move to a beautiful region, and a better fit for yourself, culture-wise. But there's some very important groundwork you need to do, before you pick up and move. Please attend to that neglected part of yourself. Your inner child will thank you! ((( HUGS ))) R4T

P.S. When you're ready to buy in Arcata/Humboldt, buy on high ground! They're already trying to move the section of Hwy 101 that's on the edge of Humboldt Bay back off the bayshore to higher ground. And I wouldn't buy property in a forested section, either. Stay fire safe and flood safe.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-26-2022 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-29-2022, 10:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Teach on Long Island. You’ll be loaded. They all make 6 figures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.