Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 03:40 PM

32 posts, read 21,348 times

Advertisements

Nashville almost got one a few years ago but got voted down.

Nashville is the "It" city in the south. Its exploding in growth. It has for a while but recently its gaining a ton of traction in the last 3 years. That city is NOT suited for the amount of growth its receiving. It has tons of vibrant and cool areas that are completely inaccessible by walking or public transport (because the current public transport sucks). The only way to get around is by car, and due to the recent boom in population is a nightmare to do so. What used to be an easy drive across the city will now take you 30+ minutes.

If Nashville can get its head out of its ass, which I doubt, it would be the major city of the Southeast. I heavily doubt Nashville will try for a LRT system in the next few years, but one day it will. However, when that day comes it will be way too late. And when that day comes it will make flow around the city even worse. All because "muh taxes".

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 06:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
What other US cities, which don't have light rail now, either have funding already in place or major campaigns pushing for it? Which ones just seem likely to do it soon simply because of population growth or political shifts?
How are you defining light rail and streetcar? You're clearly making a distinction between them (OKC has streetcar) so it's important to define it, since these differences are not standardized. Technically, streetcar and light rail function the same way, just generally with different purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Those little street car things are not passenger rail IMHO. Most certainly isn't mass transit. We have one of those things where I live and it was sold as a quasi urban transit thing by the Hipster progs. None of them ride it. The critics said it would be like an amusement park ride for suburban folks and that is exactly what happened. People from the burbs go a central entertainment area, park in the garage, do stuff there then hop the choo choo and ride around downtown. The thing loses so much money it is hilarious.
There are plenty of little street car things that are "passenger rail." San Francisco, Portland and New Orleans are great systems. Hong Kong still uses them extensively. London probably too though I've never done it myself. There are also many that are indeed pretty useless for locals. So it just depends how and where it is placed.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Those little street car things are not passenger rail IMHO. Most certainly isn't mass transit. We have one of those things where I live and it was sold as a quasi urban transit thing by the Hipster progs. None of them ride it. The critics said it would be like an amusement park ride for suburban folks and that is exactly what happened. People from the burbs go a central entertainment area, park in the garage, do stuff there then hop the choo choo and ride around downtown. The thing loses so much money it is hilarious.
Where do you live?
Strretcars are just as impactful as any other form of rail transit if built correctly. Thousands of people use New Orleans streetcars every day.

How much money do roads make?

Old 05-08-2022, 04:35 AM

1,224 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Where do you live?
Strretcars are just as impactful as any other form of rail transit if built correctly. Thousands of people use New Orleans streetcars every day.

How much money do roads make?

That New Orleans route is super limited. It doesn't move a mass of people daily. More tourists probably ride than locals.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:54 AM

1,224 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
How are you defining light rail and streetcar? You're clearly making a distinction between them (OKC has streetcar) so it's important to define it, since these differences are not standardized. Technically, streetcar and light rail function the same way, just generally with different purposes.

There are plenty of little street car things that are "passenger rail." San Francisco, Portland and New Orleans are great systems. Hong Kong still uses them extensively. London probably too though I've never done it myself. There are also many that are indeed pretty useless for locals. So it just depends how and where it is placed.

SF muni metro rail (cable cars are tourist stuff) and bus is extensive as it should be. New Orleans rail is tiny. Not sure about Portland is that place really that dense?

Old 05-08-2022, 06:10 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Atlanta

Old 05-08-2022, 07:25 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
There are two different types of LRT I am familiar with. There are some that function on the street like street cars. Others are like HR with its own right of way.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:46 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazbrah View Post
Nashville almost got one a few years ago but got voted down.

Nashville is the "It" city in the south. Its exploding in growth. It has for a while but recently its gaining a ton of traction in the last 3 years. That city is NOT suited for the amount of growth its receiving. It has tons of vibrant and cool areas that are completely inaccessible by walking or public transport (because the current public transport sucks). The only way to get around is by car, and due to the recent boom in population is a nightmare to do so. What used to be an easy drive across the city will now take you 30+ minutes.

If Nashville can get its head out of its ass, which I doubt, it would be the major city of the Southeast. I heavily doubt Nashville will try for a LRT system in the next few years, but one day it will. However, when that day comes it will be way too late. And when that day comes it will make flow around the city even worse. All because "muh taxes".

/rant
I would bet Nashville will try LRT again. It's downtown is really growing in population and apt complexes; also, the City seems the more progressive of the 2 big Tenn cities, plus they already have the Music City Star commuter rail line which, although has low patronage now, is seeing some improvements, including at least 1 TOD apt complex at one of its station stops.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Light rail isn't the be-all end-all panacea for cities. The almost obsessive conversation around it would lead one to believe that it is. Put in light rail, tick the box, declare victory and "urbanity", and move on.
Cities and metros need to be considered with more nuance than that, and they each need their own set of solutions based on their individual needs. While light rail may be a good solution for one, it might not be for another. Light rail by itself without sound city planning and development action is just a glamour/ego project. Comprehensive transit strategies may or may not include light rail, and that's okay.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:55 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I would bet Nashville will try LRT again. It's downtown is really growing in population and apt complexes; also, the City seems the more progressive of the 2 big Tenn cities, plus they already have the Music City Star commuter rail line which, although has low patronage now, is seeing some improvements, including at least 1 TOD apt complex at one of its station stops.
I always wish Music City Star had built more than 1 line, to Lebanon. Would be good IMO to have a line from Nashville out to Murfreesboro, one to Franklin, and possibly also a line to Clarksville. I think the local transit authority(from what I once read) did years ago study building a line between Nashville and Clarksville, but only the line to Lebanon was built. And along a track route, that was largely underutilized(if not totally abandoned) by freight trains.

Too bad Nashville area residents did vote down LRT, since with all its growth it would probably helped the Nashville area to build at least some level of LRT. Hopefully one day down the road, it's brought up again for another vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.