Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 06:08 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to read that Oklahoma City has a burgeoning transit authority that's planning to advance a referendum for a new region-wide transit system (which may be BRT, light rail, or commuter rail). This could really help move the OKC region into a different league. Salt Lake City's TRAX shows it can be done in a mid-sized metro in a conservative state, if the case is made right.

https://amp.oklahoman.com/amp/8035633002

What other US cities, which don't have light rail now, either have funding already in place or major campaigns pushing for it? Which ones just seem likely to do it soon simply because of population growth or political shifts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 06:57 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I'm surprised that Austin and San Antonio don't have such systems yet. I would have figured Nashville might have been a good candidate, but I believe it was put to the voters and lost.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:20 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Columbus is the largest city in the country without any form of passenger rail and it's long overdue for it. I could see it happening within the next decade or so given how quickly the city is growing and how much infill is happening.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:53 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Columbus is the largest city in the country without any form of passenger rail and it's long overdue for it. I could see it happening within the next decade or so given how quickly the city is growing and how much infill is happening.
Even just simple High Street and Broad Street lines would make a lot of sense.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:41 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Its been growing for decades and there hasn't been one millimetre of progress on this front. Its not normal to wait for your city to surpass one million population and then start thinking about light rail.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:23 AM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm surprised that Austin and San Antonio don't have such systems yet. I would have figured Nashville might have been a good candidate, but I believe it was put to the voters and lost.
Austin is building a $10B+ system that will include a number of subway stops downtown, an airport link, etc. I think they are close to the "30% design". There is also an existing rail line that somewhere in between light rail and "commuter rail". It's not great but it does exist and can be nice for some trips. It works especially well for Austin FC games.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:32 PM

5,935 posts, read 2,760,378 times
Tampa/St. Pete? I know Tampa has a vintage street car, but outside of that, I don't think they have a system there.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:33 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Tampa/St. Pete? I know Tampa has a vintage street car, but outside of that, I don't think they have a system there.
There’s a streetcar but it’s mostly there for tourism purposes. Real light rail has been voted down in the past and there’s no real prospect of it coming. There’s talk of expanding the streetcar system but I don’t know if it will ever really be functional for residents.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:56 AM

1,224 posts, read 516,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
There’s a streetcar but it’s mostly there for tourism purposes. Real light rail has been voted down in the past and there’s no real prospect of it coming. There’s talk of expanding the streetcar system but I don’t know if it will ever really be functional for residents.
Those little street car things are not passenger rail IMHO. Most certainly isn't mass transit. We have one of those things where I live and it was sold as a quasi urban transit thing by the Hipster progs. None of them ride it. The critics said it would be like an amusement park ride for suburban folks and that is exactly what happened. People from the burbs go a central entertainment area, park in the garage, do stuff there then hop the choo choo and ride around downtown. The thing loses so much money it is hilarious.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:40 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
A lot of these cities might wanna first make sure buses run at least every 15 minutes on 20 core routes. And do little things to make them faster, like bulb out the stops when possible and give them queue jumps at lights.

Then light rail can up their game for trunk routes, ideally with <10-minute frequencies, fewer stops, and grade separation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.