Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 12:34 PM

146 posts, read 152,156 times

Advertisements

Moving south because I am tired of the city and wish to be closer to family. I need to be somewhere that mostly isn't run-down, has low crime, and has good trucking opportunities. What places do y'all recommend checking out? I've only looked a little bit in Poplar Bluff, MO and Paragould, AR so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 11:01 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
I'd suspect in that southeast Missouri/northeast Arkansas area, that Cape Girardeau and Jonesboro(AR) are probably the most developed cities/towns. But I'd also be curious to hear if any other smaller towns in this area have gotten some development and things, going for them. I do wonder if Poplar Bluff has gotten some development going there, or if not much has gone on there to help get growth going there?

I wish Jonesboro the best of luck, in recovering from that tornado that hit this city sometime in the last few years. I'll bookmark this thread, for myself to periodically read.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:25 AM

27,189 posts, read 43,886,661 times
OP, you might consider Carbondale IL. It's part of the transportation hub for southern Illinois and a nice small college town (Southern Illinois University). The town of Marion to the east is another option and given it's immediate access to I-57 maybe more appealing for trucking. Between the two cities is the town of Carterville, a nice town seeing some growth due to its excellent schools.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, you might consider Carbondale IL. It's part of the transportation hub for southern Illinois and a nice small college town (Southern Illinois University). The town of Marion to the east is another option and given it's immediate access to I-57 maybe more appealing for trucking. Between the two cities is the town of Carterville, a nice town seeing some growth due to its excellent schools.
Carbondale is nice, but it's in Illinois. Enough said.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:48 PM

532 posts, read 821,646 times
Paragould is only 10 miles from Jonesboro and Jonesboro is a (the) bright spot in east Arkansas. Paragould is growing. I've never been there, but it gets slammed in the Arkansas forum when mentioned. High crime is an issue. Fairs badly compared to Jonesboro. If it matters to you, Paragould is in a wet county, whereas Jonesboro is in a dry county.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:59 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everMissouri View Post
Moving south because I am tired of the city and wish to be closer to family. I need to be somewhere that mostly isn't run-down, has low crime, and has good trucking opportunities. What places do y'all recommend checking out? I've only looked a little bit in Poplar Bluff, MO and Paragould, AR so far.
Jonesboro is your best bet in Arkansas. Jackson is your best bet in Missouri. Sikeston definitely has trucking opportunities but it can be a bit rough crime wise depending on what part of town you are in. Same for Cape Girardeau.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:04 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Paragould is only 10 miles from Jonesboro and Jonesboro is a (the) bright spot in east Arkansas. Paragould is growing. I've never been there, but it gets slammed in the Arkansas forum when mentioned. High crime is an issue. Fairs badly compared to Jonesboro. If it matters to you, Paragould is in a wet county, whereas Jonesboro is in a dry county.
Paragould is just very rednecky.
Not the prettiest place, but has plenty of decent neighborhoods especially on the west side.
It's seen a fair amount of growth riding on Joneboro's coattails.
Paragould tends to be known as the safer, quieter of the two and people chose it for that reason. Jonesboro's rate might be slightly lower, but it always records a few homicides each year whereas Paragould does not.
Since the 90's meth has taken its toll, but the city is still pretty robust and consistently sees growth.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Sikeston seems like it'd be the best bet for trucking jobs, being located at the junction of two important Interstates that connect St. Louis and Chicago with Memphis, New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico. Sikeston also has "throwed rolls" at Lambert's Cafe.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:12 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Not exactly the Bootheel, but I visited SE Missouri last summer and thought both Cape Girardeau and Perryville were great places that I could be happy living. I consider myself a small-town, somewhat blue collar person as well.

The Bootheel itself seemed to have a lot more poverty as it appeared much more run down. New Madrid wasn't too bad, but it didn't seem particularly interesting as a place to live either.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Not exactly the Bootheel, but I visited SE Missouri last summer and thought both Cape Girardeau and Perryville were great places that I could be happy living. I consider myself a small-town, somewhat blue collar person as well.

The Bootheel itself seemed to have a lot more poverty as it appeared much more run down. New Madrid wasn't too bad, but it didn't seem particularly interesting as a place to live either.

Would go with Perryville if the property taxes in Perry County were lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.