Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 03:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
I trust my instincts with a combination of visiting a place. Never listen to people who reprimand you for leaving the state. When I was leaving NJ, it was the same issue where people would ask me why I would want to leave the amazing Tri-State Area.

I had a relative who recently moved from the Bay Area to South Florida, which she always fell in love with. She is happier now and does not miss the Bay Area at all.
I love the tri-state area. There is something so magical & special about it.

For me, one side of the fam is all here in NY & have been since the 1800’s & the other side is in CA so I get pulled in 2 directions all the time - I love CA to visit, but I much prefer living here in NY … or @ least I think I do. But it’s funny … a majority of my CA family wants to live here too but @ this point it’s tough for them to uproot. CA is way more expensive than where I am (even LI/NYC metro … SOCAL is insane prices) & they have a tough time affording things out there. Overall they say they like it

To each their own. But I can tell you, OP, I def would not be happy moving anywhere for the sake of others if it wasnt something I really wanted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 05:39 AM

208 posts, read 145,625 times
I feel like I have seen this same boring post complaining about CA and talking up NJ from a different username. Many times.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:14 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I was shocked when I learnt just how expensive New Jersey is, the woman in this video is paying over $4K a month in rent for an apartment in Jersey city, you can rent an apartment in Los Angeles for half that price easily

That's a $1 million 2/2 condo on the Hudson with a sweeping view of the Manhattan skyline and a quick walk to the PATH station where it's 5 minutes to Manhattan. That doesn't exist in LA but of course it's $4k/month to rent it.

Most of Jersey City is affordable rents and condos. From my Boston perspective, it's amazingly cheap considering the location. You can buy a 2/1 condo a few blocks off the river walkable to a PATH station for $455k. Clicking around, you can find 1000 sf 2/2 next to a PATH station for $750k.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...01790958_zpid/

Old 05-11-2022, 09:15 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,490,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Of course you can do what you want at 23. Why do you stay in Cali?
I am basically stuck here because I am under a car lease and a full time job. My car lease ends in next July and I am hoping I can get something remote so I can leave the hell out of Cali.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:18 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,490,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Florida bringing those California prices. Is it that much cheaper than the Northeast and Western states with the insurance rates sky rocketing, rents off the roof, and wages still low?
I am young and I remember when I was little, Florida was the cheap place to get away from snow. There was never a huge of trend of Florida changing and becoming a different place until covid hit and people left California and other expensive states.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:39 PM

102,189 posts, read 107,809,412 times
OP, you don't mind the crushing humidity in the summers back east? New Yorkers hate it. There are tons of New Yorker transplants in the SW desert: Arizona and NM, IDK about CA. They love the dry heat. In the mountains, it doesn't get too hot in the summers; it's Bay Area weather most years (in the summer), though that's starting to change.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-11-2022 at 10:08 PM..

Old 05-11-2022, 09:47 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
To the people who keep saying "it happens everywhere", you are wrong

You mean people don’t drive crazy all over the place?

Old 05-12-2022, 05:01 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you don't mind the crushing humidity in the summers back east? New Yorkers hate it. There are tons of New Yorker transplants in the SW desert: Arizona and NM, IDK about CA. They love the dry heat. In the mountains, it doesn't get too hot in the summers; it's Bay Area weather most years (in the summer), though that's starting to change.
I live right on the coast where the prevailing afternoon summer wind off the ocean is 20 mph out of the southwest. It’s unusual to get much above 90F here. New Yorkers spend the summer in the Hamptons which is similar. I don’t have droughts. I don’t have smoke and forest fires. Hurricanes are really unusual. It’s geologically stable. I’m an hour south of Boston removed from the congestion. Huge traffic is having to wait two light cycles.

My career was high tech. I spent a ton of time in the Bay Area dating back to 1981. Personally, I couldn’t deal with the relentless congestion. I more recently worked for a few Asian companies with US offices around Irvine south of LA. Same thing there. The congestion is relentless. I understand the rant in the OP. In my life experience, NYC tri-state isn’t any better.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ive been in NY 40 years. Im never bothered by humidity bc I know in 3 months, fall will come & thats absolutely beautiful here. Thats one of things I love most - changing colorful leaves, picking apples, pumpkins. I get that u have that out west - but theres nothing as beautiful as Northeast fall foliage

Old 05-12-2022, 05:36 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
I am basically stuck here because I am under a car lease and a full time job. My car lease ends in next July and I am hoping I can get something remote so I can leave the hell out of Cali.
You can move with a lease ... its just like any other car. The only difference is they will recalculate the tax in the new location (payment might change by a few bucks), and you'll be responsible for registering in the new location. Easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.