Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 10:04 AM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s culturally college educated white collar. That socioeconomic class doesn’t listen to Hip Hop as their principal music genre. To me, it sounds like you have socioeconomic class envy. And you can get beverages with a big straw and tapioca balls in any Lilly white affluent people cafe along with the fancy espresso coffee drinks. I’m in the most non-Asian place on the planet and anywhere upscale has bubble tea these days.
You can't be serious with this.

Hip hop is by far the most mainstream genre in the US and has been for at least the last few decades. You are clueless (or very old) if you think white collar people don't consume it or cite it as their favorite genre.

I'm white collar. Nearly everyone in my peer group listened to the new Kendrick Lamar album that dropped yesterday. The Black Keys and members from Radiohead dropped albums yesterday. You know how much attention these albums got? Basically zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 12:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post

Hip hop is by far the most mainstream genre in the US and has been for at least the last few decades. You are clueless (or very old) if you think white collar people don't consume it or cite it as their favorite genre.

I'm white collar. Nearly everyone in my peer group listened to the new Kendrick Lamar album that dropped yesterday. The Black Keys and members from Radiohead dropped albums yesterday. You know how much attention these albums got? Basically zero.
Im a white collar girl & I love rap & hip hop lmao

Old 05-14-2022, 01:26 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post

TBH, this is very subculture-dependent. In the independent cafes I hang out in in Seattle, I rarely hear hip-hop being played, it's much more often indie-folk or (pop) punk. In my circles people seem to mostly listen to EDM, metal, noise, and Japanese/Korean stuff. It is true that hip-hop is the biggest single genre overall though (it has been in Spotify streams since 2017).

Old 05-14-2022, 03:22 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
If you're brash, talk to strangers on transit, and like telling off-color jokes, you might find Seattle awkward. Same if you're pretentious about money or wear flashy clothes.

I'm not like that and find it pretty comfortable.

I don't get much pushback over jokes or PC-ness. Most people are pretty chill but common sense is key.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:35 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Same if you're pretentious about money or wear flashy clothes.
I've heard seattle doesn't like pretentiousness. Big no no. And it's such a wealthy city.

Old 05-14-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've heard seattle doesn't like pretentiousness. Big no no. And it's such a wealthy city.
Seattle is wealthy? Maybe the outskirts. I saw a lot of homeless people & a lot of tents.

I LOVED Seattle, FWIW, but I didn’t get a wealthy feeling from it

Old 05-14-2022, 05:03 PM

It's a city full of six-figure incomes due to tech, unions, and Boeing. And of course tech zillionnaires. Wealthy and six-figure types have many areas to choose from both within the city limits and elsewhere.

It's also a city of have-nots, including homeless who pre-2022 (new mayor) were allowed to do whatever.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's a city full of six-figure incomes due to tech, unions, and Boeing. And of course tech zillionnaires. Wealthy and six-figure types have many areas to choose from both within the city limits and elsewhere.

It's also a city of have-nots, including homeless who pre-2022 (new mayor) were allowed to do whatever.
I see. I was in the main areas mostly, you know space needle, pikes place, all the touristy stuff. We did however do an orca tour & the scenery along the water was beautiful .. I loved WA state. So nice!

Old 05-14-2022, 08:34 PM

Those areas don't have homeless anymore. The new mayor has really cleaned up the center. There's real progress in getting people off the streets too, though the Downtown progess is mostly about location.

I went to Pike Place Market today (buying groceries). It felt like 2019 tourist season again with a mob scene overflowing into the street (Pike Place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.