Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 02:03 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Given 25% of this was value fraction....the list is essentially "great places to live if you can afford it".

I mean sure, I'd love to live the richest neighborhood in SoCal or in Greenwich Village or Kensington London and I'm sure those to can afford them LOVE where they live. But it's not realistic for most people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Boulder and SF are in top 10
Kmans not wrong though. They did make "value" their largest factor, however it is value based on affordability vs median household income. Meaning, based on the residents who live there currently, how affordable is the place? And SF (perhaps Boulder as well) has already priced out the majority of the population, meaning those who can survive there now are the ones whose income was used to calculate the relative affordability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 11:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
The newest U.S. News list just got released which I thought might be of interest here.

Top 10:
1. Huntsville, AL
2. Colorado Spring, CO
3. Green Bay, WI
4. Boulder, CO
5. San Jose, CA
6. Raleigh & Durham, NC
7. Fayetteville, AR
8. Portland, ME
9. Sarasota, FL
10. San Francisco, CA

Large cities in the top quintile
5. San Jose, CA
6. Raleigh & Durham, NC
10. San Francisco, CA
13. Austin, TX
16. Grand Rapids, MI
18. Boston, MA
19. Washington, DC
22. Portland, OR
23. Salt Lake City, UT
24. Jacksonville, FL
25. Nashville, TN
26. Pittsburgh, PA
27. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
30. Charlotte, NC

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...gh_to_low=true
I don’t understand how a city in Alabama is on the top of this list. Alabama ranks like 49th or 50th in education and near the bottom on safety and a whole bunch of other factors as well.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:40 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don’t understand how a city in Alabama is on the top of this list. Alabama ranks like 49th or 50th in education and near the bottom on safety and a whole bunch of other factors as well.
If that were the only criteria then the top ten should be nothing but small towns in New England and the upper midwest.
Also, it’s entirely possible that the states with overall bad numbers have a few bright spots just like top-ranking states have some bad apples.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:46 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
The crazy thing is Huntsville has made the top of their list for the last few years too. Even looking at their methodology, I don't see how it does so well.

I get that Huntsville does extremely well for the deep south and it should get some recognition for that, but I just can't imagine it doing better than every other city.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:54 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
Huntsville may or may not be the "best place to live", but it's not just a random city in Alabama, and the state's negative stereotypes are often greatly exaggerated. The concentration of engineering and technology jobs per capita is one of the highest in the US, and workers are well compensated in a low cost of living area. Such professionals definitely expect good quality schools and a safe living environment for their families, and Huntsville has plenty of communities that offer these. The area is very different from other Alabama metros with similar populations (i.e. Mobile or Montgomery).

Some of the other top ten areas (especially Green Bay) are much more of a shock to me than Huntsville. And with the current cost of living realities, it's very questionable that San Jose and San Francisco deserve such a high rank either.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:09 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Huntsville may or may not be the "best place to live", but it's not just a random city in Alabama, and the state's negative stereotypes are often greatly exaggerated. The concentration of engineering and technology jobs per capita is one of the highest in the US, and workers are well compensated in a low cost of living area. Such professionals definitely expect good quality schools and a safe living environment for their families, and Huntsville has plenty of communities that offer these. The area is very different from other Alabama metros with similar populations (i.e. Mobile or Montgomery).

Some of the other top ten areas (especially Green Bay) are much more of a shock to me than Huntsville. And with the current cost of living realities, it's very questionable that San Jose and San Francisco deserve such a high rank either.
I live less than an hour from Green Bay and honestly it’s a nice town. Might be the least surprising entry in the top 10.
The only odd thing about it making this list is that it’s not the best Wisconsin has to offer.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:23 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I live less than an hour from Green Bay and honestly it’s a nice town. Might be the least surprising entry in the top 10.
The only odd thing about it making this list is that it’s not the best Wisconsin has to offer.
Raleigh/Durham is the most obvious top 10 area from my perspective, but for people who want a less predominantly suburban environment or cooler/drier climate (among many factors), other places would be a better fit.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:21 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
It's been 20+ years but I use to live up in that area (Fox Cities). Wasn't my cup of tea.

Also lived in Madison and it's night/day.

I know these places have to spread the wealth around a bit and Madison has been rated #1 in the past but as far as Wisconsin goes, it's Madison and then big drop off and then everywhere else.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:24 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
So arrogantly presumptuous to put a one size fits all label on cities as if we are all just robots who define livability and quality of life the same exact way as they do. I’m sure many people would love living in Huntsville but I would be truly miserable and I know a large % of other people in this country would be as well.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:23 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
It's U.S. News and World Report. All of their surveys and rankings are suspect. This is the publication that was so lambasted by private colleges that they changed their method of college rankings to appease them. U.S News is just not a credible outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.