Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 01:09 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times

Advertisements

Just drove from Houston to Florida via I-10. First of all, it’s amazing how much traffic exists along that route. Secondly, it’s basically like driving through a canyon of pine trees the entire route. I found myself wondering if I would prefer to see the flat landscape rather than have my view blocked by trees. Of all the states we passed through I found Louisiana’s landscape the most interesting. Is this route perceived as attractive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 02:14 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
I don't think most Americans are that familiar with East Texas or Central Texas terrain like that. Most Americans associated Texas terrain with it's urban centers and the outdated media perception.

If you showed people this picture they probably wouldn't know this is East Texas unless they watch some Big Foot documentary on the history channel or something.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:25 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Just drove from Houston to Florida via I-10. First of all, it’s amazing how much traffic exists along that route. Secondly, it’s basically like driving through a canyon of pine trees the entire route. I found myself wondering if I would prefer to see the flat landscape rather than have my view blocked by trees. Of all the states we passed through I found Louisiana’s landscape the most interesting. Is this route perceived as attractive?
Mobile Bay, Escambia Bay. That's about it. Took I-12 and bypassed New Orleans, so that may offer more, but adds time. Atchafalaya Bridge was interesting though, but my main thought was just to not have a breakdown there.

Like most interstates, it offers the shortest time between 2 points. Scenery is a bonus where it exists.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:31 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

You do realize that these two things (taxation and politics) are connected, do you not?
Yeah, Illinois is a political cesspool.

As for the thread, I don’t think the average person looks more favorably at Illinois’ or Ohio’s topography than they do Texas.
None of these states are known for their topography anyway. And yes, I’m well aware of Texas Hill Country (even lived there for a while) and the mountains further west. Most people in Texas don’t live in those places.
Point is, it’s not what these states are associated with.

If people are saying mean things about Texas topography (I’ve never heard it much), it might be because all the heaven-on-earth hype the natives and like-minded and various entertainment sources put on the place.
Some outsiders might get there and go “oh… yeah not what I was expecting”.

Last edited by sub; 06-22-2022 at 03:34 PM..

Old 06-22-2022, 02:43 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I don't think most Americans are that familiar with East Texas or Central Texas terrain like that. Most Americans associated Texas terrain with it's urban centers and the outdated media perception.

If you showed people this picture they probably wouldn't know this is East Texas unless they watch some Big Foot documentary on the history channel or something.
In terms of scenery, East Texas certainly has a greater resemblance to large sections of all the Deep South states than it does to parts of Texas further west. The state is far too vast and transitional between East and West to have a consistent aesthetic, despite popular reputation.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:29 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
That's cause Texas has weird monolithic stereotype. monolithic culturally, monolithic environment.

People want to imagine cowboys riding across the high plains. When in reality where most of the Texas population lives on Eastern half of state about 80% of Texas population lives in a area it looks near identical to Louisiana.

Even DFW is not actually the high plains. DFW is in cross timbers which a transition zone It's a mix between Forrest and the glass Land.

The high plains which people imagine is West Texas and The Panhandle. but due to Texas size being like 3-5 the size of Eastern states West Texas which people stereotype as Texas might as well be 2 states over to most Texans. To most Texas living in the Eastern half of the state, the Texas triangle. DFW, Houston, SA and Austin. the western half is exotic to them. El Paso is half way to LA to some body in Houston.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:09 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
People who have never been to the eastern quarter/third (east of I -45) don't know what they are talking about. You have significant tree. There's a designated national forest in east Texas and state designated forested areas at the same time there was a history of logging.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:40 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Texas on the whole is uglier than it should be - and that essentially boils down to the prevailing attitude of the state, seeking $$$ over set aside spaces. Literally every state bordering Texas: New Mexico, Coahuila, Louisiana, Arkansas... has better public land and natural assets.

Now one could say, well that's just because they have better geography and stuff to work with - and that's partially true, but Texas isn't Nebraska. There used to be jaguars roaming through there and the native forests were probably pretty cool before they were logged. That aside, there simply isn't any consistent large chunks of public land and big trail networks to use what they do have, the whole state is barb wired off, and that's a huge problem for QOL. I think Missouri is a good counter example - it's a state with about a similar natural potential (worse weather but a little cooler geography). But Missouri has a greater focus on developing an outdoor experience, and it shows, it's one of the more outdoorsy states despite not having a defining feature like the a great lake shore or a Glacier NP.

To the OPs point though, I think Indiana and Texas are at similar levels of underperformace. Illinois was kinda destined to be farming central, Indiana not so much.

Georgia has the wall of trees too, but there's a world of difference between a healthy hardwood forest and a pine plantation. Hardwood forests don't generate nearly the same amount of $$ revenue though.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:31 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Done this route dozens of times. Baldwin County, Alabama is all trees then you get a bit of reprieve going through Pensacola with a couple bridges. After that, for the next 200 plus miles, it's all trees. Even going through Tallahassee, it's all trees. The I-10 portion of Florida is so boring.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:36 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Texas on the whole is uglier than it should be - and that essentially boils down to the prevailing attitude of the state, seeking $$$ over set aside spaces. Literally every state bordering Texas: New Mexico, Coahuila, Louisiana, Arkansas... has better public land and natural assets.

Now one could say, well that's just because they have better geography and stuff to work with - and that's partially true, but Texas isn't Nebraska. There used to be jaguars roaming through there and the native forests were probably pretty cool before they were logged. That aside, there simply isn't any consistent large chunks of public land and big trail networks to use what they do have, the whole state is barb wired off, and that's a huge problem for QOL. I think Missouri is a good counter example - it's a state with about a similar natural potential (worse weather but a little cooler geography). But Missouri has a greater focus on developing an outdoor experience, and it shows, it's one of the more outdoorsy states despite not having a defining feature like the a great lake shore or a Glacier NP.

To the OPs point though, I think Indiana and Texas are at similar levels of underperformace. Illinois was kinda destined to be farming central, Indiana not so much.

Georgia has the wall of trees too, but there's a world of difference between a healthy hardwood forest and a pine plantation. Hardwood forests don't generate nearly the same amount of $$ revenue though.
Yeah I agree. You see it in the cities. They chose business over aesthetics. Concreted the bayous and built those ugly access roads alongside highways. Texas should not be as ugly as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.