Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city with these factors and resume?
Denver 4 22.22%
Houston 2 11.11%
Atlanta 7 38.89%
Phoenix 2 11.11%
Orlando 0 0%
Other (please specify in post) 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 02:56 PM

647 posts, read 1,524,746 times

Advertisements

My resume is at the bottom but I'll give you some factors first. I've ranked the cities in the poll from the one I want to live in the most to the one that interests me the least (so Denver is at the top and Orlando is at the bottom). I've included the option for other but please specify in the post why you think the other city would be a good fit.

I think by far the most important factor to me is the affordability of a one bedroom (or even studio). Another two important factors for me are good public transit and easy access to health insurance but those two factors aren't anywhere near as important as the affordability of a one bedroom.

I've lived in NYC, Austin and Dallas. I liked NYC and Dallas but hated Austin. Some friends and family seem to think moving to Los Angeles would be a good idea but that city has never appealed to me - especially since the one bedrooms aren't affordable in LA.

Edit: I am willing to settle for a roommate but I'm a mix of the odd couple (I'm ADD & OCD at the same time) so it's pretty hard for me to find a good roommate match. Also I could only see myself doing a roommate if it's NOT a friends as roommates scenario.

Edit 2: I freelance for a company that does work in Orlando, so I'd already have work as soon as I move there. The only reason it's at the bottom is because it gets such bad reviews from friends and coworkers. I've never been there myself so I can't comment.

I'm also willing to take resume tips as well if you got any.

Here's my resume:

WORK EXPERIENCE

Data and Security Technician
ABLe Communications | September 2018 to April 2022
-Data and security installation in government and corporate offices
-Ran Cat 6 and security cable through ceilings, walls and conduit
-Terminated Cat 6 with data jacks and RJ45s
-Tested Cat 6 terminations with Fluke Networks Tester
-Installed security cameras and WAPs in ceilings
-Terminated security cable in power supply boxes
-Used drawings for testing and created as-built drawings

AV Installation Technician
AVI-SPL | May 2015 to September 2018
-Commercial AV installation in corporate offices, law offices, schools and other commercial
environments
-Installed Crestron, Biamp, Extron, ClearOne, Polycom, and AMX products
-Permanent install of speakers, projectors, projector lifts, screens and other hardware
-Ran cables through ceilings, wall, and conduit
-Troubleshoot audio/visual hardware in a commercial AV environment
-Communicated with clients, facilities managers, and general contractors to make sure all needs
were met

Lead A/V Technician
PSAV | May 2010 to May 2015
-Responded to audio, video and lighting support for corporate events, shows and meetings
-Communicated with corporate CEOs and managers to make sure that all of their audio/visual
needs were met
-Served as liaison between field technicians and the client.
-Worked with vendors on coordinating timelines and project deadlines.
-Communicated with PSAV sales team to make sure we were delivering exactly what the client
wanted
-Coordinated with other field technicians on the installation and maintenance of products.
-Inventoried and quality checked equipment before shipping out and when receiving
-Worked with grids in Helios to see which equipment is needed in future events

EDUCATION

University of Texas at Austin
-Bachelor of Science in Radio/Television/Film

Certifications and Licenses
-OSHA 10

Last edited by simon22; 06-22-2022 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 03:01 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,322,716 times
What about cities such as Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and St. Louis, which are decent sized cities with some degree of public transportation and are affordable?

Old 06-22-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about cities such as Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and St. Louis, which are decent sized cities with some degree of public transportation and are affordable?
I've been to St. Louis and didn't like it. Pittsburgh has appealed to me at times but I don't know if I'd find that much work in my field. I don't know about Buffalo and Cleveland.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:08 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,314,193 times
Your U of Texas degree will carry the most weight in Texas…

Old 06-22-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Your U of Texas degree will carry the most weight in Texas…
Eh not really. I live in Dallas and barely make enough for a one bedroom. I also struggled to find a job in Austin for the 2 years after I graduated but that was back in 2009-2011 and I already said I don't like Austin anyways.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:24 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,314,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Eh not really. I live in Dallas and barely make enough for a one bedroom. I also struggled to find a job in Austin for the 2 years after I graduated but that was back in 2009-2011 and I already said I don't like Austin anyways.
And you presume it won’t be even more difficult in Orlando?

Old 06-22-2022, 03:35 PM

10,093 posts, read 14,487,209 times
Out of your choices, I'd go with Atlanta. A large metro region with 6.2 million and growing fast. MARTA transit rail is decent for what it is.

I'd also consider Charlotte--they have a growing rapid rail system, and their economy is really strong with a lot of financial companies, and they hire tech often.

If you consider cities without rail systems currently, you might want to look at Raleigh-Durham, Richmond, and Nashville, too.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
And you presume it won’t be even more difficult in Orlando?
I went back and edited my post to say that I freelance for a company that has lots of work in Orlando, so I could have work as soon as I move to Orlando. Granted it's freelance and not full time but still.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd also consider Charlotte
I just looked up Charlotte and it looks like a pretty good pick. Didn't realize it was twice as big as Atlanta in terms of population. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2022, 06:50 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,689,082 times
Move where you want to live. I’ll never understand letting a job dictate where you live. You’ve listed cities that couldn’t be any more different from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.